Virginia Tech Class of 2025 — Decision Release Date: Mar 1-15

my son:
OOS Tennessee
undecided science
34 ACT
3.63 unweighted, 3.75 weighted through junior year, but will be well above 4.2 after senior year if grades stay as they are now with 3 APs this year
Eagle Scout
varsity tennis 4 years
several leadership roles in school clubs and in Scouts, several unique ECs
Accepted with $3000 merit
He waited until later to check tonight, and I was nervous for him seeing the stats of who was waitlisted, denied, accepted.
Definitely considering VT but has other good choices, some with more merit aid.
I am posting because I think it helps to compare…it really seems to be a mystery why some are accepted and others are not. It will all work out, but it is hard to swallow a denial or waitlist with what seem to be great qualifications.

3 Likes

It’s a little box on the right under the financial aid section (‘Honors College Notification’). It will just say you’re being offered honors, no details yet.

IS, Fairfax, accepted no honors
GPA 4.7, ACT 36, sports and community service, leadership, 9AP (5’s and 2 4’s)
I believe the theory that because of test optional and not being able to visit, ALL schools are seeing lots more applications and high performers have applied to more reach and more safer schools. Although acceptances may be more competitive this year at all schools, I bet the yield will be way lower, and waitlisted applicants will be ultimately accepted.

4 Likes

LCPS, 4.07, many EC, arch & design. Waitlisted.

Also, some schools (I’m not sure if VT has said this) have promised that ‘test optional’ won’t be a disadvantage, so they are purposely accepting a similar percentage from that pool; ultimately that works against the kids submitting scores who would otherwise be accepted in higher numbers. As others have said, definitely a weird year.

4 Likes

I feel like that’s such a tricky subject. I get not wanting to disadvantage the people who didn’t get the chance to take the SAT but it’s also unfair to people like me who worked super hard to ensure a test seating and to get a good score that all of that doesn’t amount to anything. Guess that’s just the way it goes unfortunately. COVID really screwed up college admissions

3 Likes

Yes, agree!! Covid messed up lots of components of admissions!

It is tricky. Of course, colleges had no choice really since so many students couldn’t test. But those numbers, combined with students who decided not to send a score (which accounts for the huge increase in apps at selective schools), have turned the usual process upside down to an extent.

What are the chances that they’ll pull off the waitlist for a non competitive major

My D is accepted for Industrial Design, OOS Maryland, 4.2W, 3.62U, 9APs, majority Honors, STEM magnet school, No SAT or ACT, $3000 merit, waiting for Carnegie Mellon’s Design decision. Local university almost full ride with honors college, will be a hard decision to make in April…

1 Like

Accepted instate to engineering interest biomedical and offered honors college
Stats:
3.9 unweighted gpa (no class rank, my school doesn’t take them)
1400 sat
3 AP and 2 DE classes junior year, honor role etc.
Officer in two clubs (member of two more), member of thespian society
Extracurriculars; Drama 6-8 hr per week, Junior Volunteer at the local Rescue squad, took an out of school EMT night class junior year

1 Like

lmao we’re like the same person. I have thespian society too and I also did EMT night classes my junior year

thats hilarious, where are you from?

New York! wbu?

I actually live in BBurg VA home of tech, my dad is a computer science professor in the engineering department

Oh that’s awesome!

Yep, I already have a collection of tech gear lol

Son was accepted EA to HNFE program with the following stats:
-In state
-3.9 WGPA
-Test optional
-Strong essays: he was given pointers by multiple teachers. No - he wrote and edited the essays
-Pretty decent extra-curriculors but not mind blowing
-first-gen

1 Like

admitted to honors college but no merit unless I’m missing something. Curious if this is the case for anyone else? I see multiple people with merit but no honors which makes me think they are judged on completely different criteria?

In state Son had 4.75 w, 4.0 unweighted
1510 on SATs (790 math)
Extracurriculars
Waitlisted for engineering but accepted at uva
He has a friend who took easier classes with a lower gpa who got into engineering after being deferred from early decision

2 Likes