Virginia Tech Class of 2025 — Decision Release Date: Mar 1-15

Yeah, 'cause a random sample of results that’s equal to less than 1% of the admission offers is a real predictor of how things apply overall, right? Please. Oh, and VTech is a toy/electronics company.

4 Likes

Not sure this is entirely accurate. See my accepted S21 stats above. I’d put him in the great stats category.

But…my S21 was OOS and perhaps there was a difference in the admissions results for OOS vs IS?

This happens every year. It’s foolish to try and compare student offers based on the stats posted on CC. No one here has any idea how rigorous a specific high school’s curriculum is considered by admissions departments vs. how another school with a bevy if high stats kids could have a strong reputation for grade inflation.

4 Likes

Thank you for this! I agree that the merit can often be preferable to the honors designation. One of our bigger concerns was the lack of an honors invitation knocking him completely out of contention for the 3 scholarships he applied to, including Stamps.

Our S21 was also accepted to UMich and Georgia Tech so honors at VT would have made VT a little more enticing.

1 Like

@xKiwiDonuts Check last year’s waitlist thread… I think in some cases there were phone calls made. I believe at minimum you would receive an email, and usually there is a short 48-72 hour deadline to accept the pull offer if I am remembering correctly.

The best thing you could do is take a step back and apologize.

4 Likes

I disagree. My D had a 35 ACT and a ~3.92 UW GPA (all honors/AP/DE, competitive STEM school that doesn’t weight or rank). Great enough for Purdue and Purdue Honors College. She was accepted to VT Engineering.

3 Likes

Nope. Your statement is not only incorrect but also insulting. But, your child does have a great stats and will certainly get into an awesome school with those stats.

3 Likes

Does anyone know how many people applied in total this year? Not just Early Action, but Regular Decision too?

Has anyone heard for Stamps decision?

1 Like

My guess is the ~45000 number that has been thrown out - includes ED/EA/RD

Oh yeah it most definitely does

I am surprised by some of the comments on here from parents. Having been through this multiple times, you can never ever predict who will get in, what the school finds appealing in each application and how it will all shake out. Our daughter had almost perfect stats, gpa well over 5 and act 35. Was rejected from multiple schools You would have thought she was a shoe in for. She went to a school freshman year and then did the work again to transfer to another where she is thriving and so happy. Instead of being angry and resentful of others, TEACH your child to be sad, feel upset, but then dust themselves off and go grab what is out there for them.

27 Likes

How many waitlists did VT pull last year? On their website it says 3,960ish? Wouldn’t that mean almost half of their freshman class last year was from the waitlist even assuming some declined the waitlist pull?!

I’m sure that many applicants make other plans before they know if they will get off of the waitlist. Not all 3960 would accept the offer.

@dazxpert7 That’s the number of students who after accepting a spot on the waitlist were offered to be pulled off. Like with regular admissions, there is a formula as to how many actually accept - no school just offers admission only to the magic number they want for their incoming class size.

@wtlistnightmare Well said. Can you imagine the reaction some of these kids would have after seeing their parent’s behavior?(Or maybe, just maybe that entitlement gene oozed through on the student’s essays and that’s what turned admissions off?). If a kid is applying to VT, they most likely have some very good alternate choices available to them and after the disappointment wears off they can find all kinds of good things about the university they will ultimately attend. Kids are way more resilient than the fragile egos of some of the parents, that is for certain.

11 Likes

Ok got it. Does anyone know how many people were waitlisted last year? Was that 3,960 about 50, 60, 70% of their original waitlist?

VT, is considered selective now? Wow.

You can check some of the stats here: https://udc.vt.edu/irdata/data/students/admission/index

1 Like