Virginia Tech Class of 2025 — Decision Release Date: Mar 1-15

@spark58510 If you pull up VT’s common data set, they indicate what is and isn’t taken into account re: prospective admissions. Last I recall, course rigor was indicated as highly considered. In terms of standardized test scores, trend and prevailing sentiment seems to be that if the score would help (let’s say it’s well above average score for prior admits) then it’s a good idea to report it. If there was an area on the application where senior course info is requested (no grades), then they probably look at that. If not, then it’s performance up to application date.

@spark58510 Depending on which app you used, you should be able to download the document that goes to each college. When you look at the pdf of your app to VT you can see which sections they pulled off the common/coalition apps. I just looked at my daughter’s and the senior year classes are listed, which would seem to indicate that senior year rigor is considered. It also seems that most selective colleges look at this, so I’d be surprised if VT wasn’t following suit.

Yes, we do use senior schedule when reviewing applications but do not use grades from the first semester. Students will need to report their senior schedule and list it as in progress on the SRAR.

As for any students who were deferred, please remember that it typically says more about the applicant pool for the major the student selected versus the applicants themselves. General Engineering is one of our most competitive majors each year so we sometimes need to see an applicant within the context of the entire applicant pool.

3 Likes

An email and text message is going out this evening to any EA students missing an SRAR (studies inside of US) or transcript (studies outside of US). Students have until 12/20 to get this information submitted. Note that it can take a few days to make its way to us, so their portal will not update as received upon submission (or if they have submitted those items in the past few days, we may not have received it yet).

1 Like

@VTAdmissions Do you have any idea when you will be releasing decisions for those that applied for EA? Thanks!

1 Like

They have historically release EA very close if not the day they indicate. Which mean February. No time soon.

Hello all! My daughter got deferred from ED (Business) and is quite worried. Two questions:

1. Is it worthwhile writing a letter expressing her continued interest and providing an update on her activities that are relevant (she just got selected to represent her school at the state-level DECA) and possibly even provide an update on her mid-term grades. Will it be ignored or does it improve or possibly hurt her chances in EA?
  2. Based on course rigor and GPA (4.02) she seems to be right in the middle of students offered admission from her high school last year. She decided not to submit SATs. She has a number of ECs plus two legacies. So, what are her chances in EA?

Thanks for any insight into this process. It does seem to me that VT is getting harder to get in every year. My older daughter had about the same GPA etc. and she got in RD (no EA at that time).

Our AO told us it’s a good idea to write a letter of continued interest in January for anywhere we were deferred after we get our semester grades. Our school automatically sends the semester grades, but they said always a good idea to write that letter anywhere we are still interested.

Thank you!

@VTAdmissions Do you welcome letters of continued interest and updates on achievements/grades for students who were deferred from ED? If so, is there a preferred process for submitting that information? Thank you

Some helpful links to VT data that will provide some perspective:

https://irweb.aie.vt.edu/webtest/FreshmenSummary.aspx

https://udc.vt.edu/irdata/data/students/admission/index

3 Likes

Great data - thanks for sharing @spark58510!!

Students do not need to submit any additional information if deferred.

1 Like

The wait till Feb is killing us lol.

1 Like

Same! My D has all her other decisions including scholarships in most cases. It’s frustrating because she doesn’t want to make a final choice until she hears from VT and Feb is a long time to wait. :neutral_face:

My son is in the same boat! It’s a miss on Va Techs part, in my opinion, because he is starting to connect with other accepted students elsewhere and is beginning to see himself at those schools. Tech was his first choice, but that is starting to change.

1 Like

@PH Keep in mind that VT’s EA timing is similar to more selective public universities in the region. They only introduced EA a few years ago, prior to that it was only ED or RD (which is still the case for most uber-selective colleges who don’t notify RD until March/April!). Yes, there are definitely universities that have rolling admissions and accept apps as they come in, but often those are a little less selective (I’m generalizing of course, and not trying to be negative about any of them). I’m only pointing this out to say that depending on the pool of schools that a student is considering, VT might seem late or might seem right in with the pack. I think schools who more aggressively recruit also tend to notify early (the early bird gets the worm kind of thinking). Then there are those schools that randomly post decisions in batches, with no rhyme or reason, so applicants are on pins and needles for months not knowing when it’s going to happen! Fun times.

3 Likes

I agree, I feel because they especially also had ED, I wouldn’t expect a decision before the end of Jan/early Feb. They had to give the ED kids the attention (as they should, they were making a huge commitment to the University).

1 Like

@rbc2018 Thanks, appreciate the insight. In all cases but one my son was alerted early from competitive schools (not rolling) regarding merit and acceptance. Some schools, like Clemson, accept high stats kids early on. Wish Va Tech would do the same!

@PH I hear ya! The waiting is hard. My oldest applied to VT fall of 2017, and they’ve made fairly significant changes to admissions each year since then (new people running admissions, new apps, new essays, new categories, new deadlines, etc!), so it wouldn’t surprise me if they shake up the deadlines and decision dates again in the future. One odd thing they did starting last year was to decide that almost the whole freshman class will come from ED and EA, so I guess when VT releases EA decisions it is similar to when other schools release RD. It’s odd, so I’m sure it will evolve again next cycle. Glad to hear your son has some great options!