Virginia Tech Fall 2023 Waitlist

I hope he still stays on the waitlist. You’ll never know! Good luck to him!

1 Like

Yes, he is :slight_smile: I felt a bit better when I read old thread where most were notified in April and May so hopefully it won’t take until June to know one way or other. Hope things work out for yours as well!

3 Likes

Penn State Engineering is great. My daughter went there and loved it

2 Likes

Shaking my head at this one.

1 Like

Who knows? I re-read his VT essays as well and while I think his Common app one was phenomenal as well as the prompts other colleges asked, I know that they only look at their prompts and he did struggle with those. I don’t think they were his best, but they were definitely ok. He’s got great choices so all will be ok :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes! And in Georgia Tech OOS with a 10 percent admit rate😳

2 Likes

We had a glitch too. His file showed completed. BUT, no decision came out this week. We emailed and did see the note for some experiencing glitched. They emailed and said file wasn’t complete, but it showed complete. Then this am. We got a email his file is complete and nothing changed on our en but we are moved to regular decision now. Anyone know when that comes out?

@TeamSherlo So he applied EA but because of their glitch he’s now moved to RD? Or did he apply RD to begin with? I would be fuming if it’s the former! This technical issue really leaves me feeling unsettled, like maybe our kids’ application reviews were affected because they were in the wrong queue or something. Your child’s clearly was if he applied EA. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I just went to the other thread and now see your son still needed to add his senior classes to his SRAR so that’s why he was moved to RD. Makes sense.

I wonder when they start pulling from the waitlist- after RD decisions come out or on a rolling basis as EA applicants decline their offers? Anyone know?

I’ve read last year’s waitlist thread, and it looked like most came off in late April to mid May.

2 Likes

My heart is breaking for my daughter, who applied ea to several engineering programs. She has a 1500 sat, a 4.2 gpa, attends a top achieving magnet high school, is a state level achieving athlete and holds down a part time job. With all this she was waitlisted at VA tech, rejected from UVA, MIT and Georgia T. She got into Tex. A&M but with no aid despite an almost $30k gap with our fafsa numbers. We cannot afford their tuition. She is a twin, her brother was accepted to 3 of the 5 schools he applied to with a 1290 sat, and a 4.1 gpa. He’s gotten merit aid from all three schools and is still waiting to hear back from 2 more schools. How is this happening and what do I tell my daughter to do?

2 Likes

@vamom71 This completely baffles me. There is no sensible explanation to this. She has amazing stats!!! Keep faith and believe what’s best for her will happen.

@vamom71 What colleges did her brother get into?

2 Likes

Are your kiddos sending a letter of continued interest to VT? It clearly says not to do that on the VT page, yet everywhere else they suggest doing that

2 Likes

It makes no sense to me either. I feel like I’m in a bad dream and can’t wake up. I never imagined being in this position with her. She is such a great student who works hard and so does not deserve this.

1 Like

Lewis, Liberty, Embry-Riddle (fl). Coast Guard looks promising at this point and no word yet on Air Force

2 Likes

Does your daughter have any affordable acceptances? Did she apply to other Virginia public universities with engineering programs? GMU, VCU, JMU? West Virgina University is still accepting applications and has good merit for her stats. University of Maine may still have scholarships available. Some of the midwestern and southern flagships also have merit aid available for strong students. Check out the websites of the universities in Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc.

3 Likes

I have a 3.8uw GPA, 1550 SAT, hundreds of hours of volunteering, I play 3 varsity sports, and I wrote strong essays. Still, I was waitlisted.
also, I have a friend with a 3.0 GPA who does no extracurriculars and didn’t take the SAT, and he was waitlisted also. It seems that maybe it mainly comes down to the essays

My daughter is #2/500 and has a 4.7 weighted. 9 ap, 1 de, lots of EC, volunteering, leadership and captain on a varsity sport. Her dad and I are both Tech grads too. She applied ED for engineering. She was devastated to get waitlisted. We are so confused.

We have friends also with significantly lower stats. Try not to compare yourself to peers. I know it’s so hard. But remember, Virginia Tech admits by major so majors like consumer science and criminology have much much higher acceptance rates while the more competitive and selective majors have much lower acceptance rates.

3 Likes