Virginia Tech Honors College

I am just wondering if VT will let me take honors classes if i wanted to even if i am not a part of their honors college? I know that i will not get honors housing and their scholarships but would i still be allowed to take honors classes if i wanted to? I know that some colleges let their students do that. Is VT the same way?

Accidentally replied to the old thread that you posted on:

I believe not. Looking at the timetable of classes, all honors courses have a requirement that you are in honors. Several classes are set to 0 capacity, which means that you can’t sign up for it on your own and have to be added by the professor or department. Additionally, all honors classes have a very low cap on how many students can sign up.

@financiallylost
Thank you very much for the reply. Haha that’s ok about replying to the other thread! Oh that is a bummer to hear that. It is just that I am interested in applying to Med Schools later after my undergraduate studies, and I was wondering if Honors College from freshman year will make me a more valuable applicant for them. I am pretty sure that I will not get into VT Honors College since it is highly competitive with a very few number of seats available; however it has been my dream to go to Virginia Tech. I do not know if going there without Honors College will put me at a disadvantage when I apply to Med Schools. What would you suggest?

the med schools won’t care about if you were honors or not, let alone in an honors course. just do well overall academically and get experience in the field. tech has pre health advising in career services and they will guide you on what needs to be done.

@undercover007 Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will keep it in mind !!! :slight_smile: