Virginia Tech

I was trying to see if I would be a competitive applicant at Virginia Tech for merit aid. I am an Ohio native so i could not receive in state tuition. So to go to Virginia Tech i would need some merit aid.

I have a 4.3 weighted gpa which is probably close to a 3.7 unweighted.
I have a 32 on my act, and have started the mechanical engineering club at my school.
I have also won some computer science awards (machine learning projects), have about 400 hours of community service (i believe this is a lot), work part time as a machinist, and I’m currently working on starting my own charity. I would be looking to either apply for computer science or mechanical engineering.I think my application is a little heavy on the extracurricular which can make this a very unscientific process.

VTech is not known for giving a lot in merit aid to OOS students.

Most state schools (including VA schools) are not going to give much aid to an out of state student. You would have to look for private scholarships, though getting those in any large amount is not very likely. Honestly, I love VT and obviously it’s’ great for engineering, but if you are getting little-to-no aid and can’t swing most of the costs yourself, I would really consider going to your in state colleges because $30k+ a year is a very high price to pay.

Thanks for the help OSU is still a great option.

For sure! Great programs at OSU and excellent name recognition.

My son had stats fairly close to yours, though not as many impressive ECs. Got no merit aid from VT. We have family who went to/are at VT and who love VT. We could not justify the significant extra expense over UF where my son ended up going.