Weekend Student life at LMU, USD, Cal Poly SLO, or SDSU

My OOS Child is interested in going to school in California and has been accepted at these schools. He is comparing the schools academically and financially, but I’m also interested in hearing about social life. We have family in CA but I am curious about student life/social life on these campuses because my child will be so far from home and not have any high school classmates attending. Is there a lot of activity on campus on the weekends? My child is social but not what I would call a typical college partier. On one older thread about USD, the student said the campus is pretty quiet on the weekends. I’m hoping these are not commuter schools and that the majority of freshmen are building their social life on campus because my child will not have the option of leaving campus on the weekends. Thanks for any insight!

1 Like

Many students that go away to college (even in their own state) have few from their HS attending, and at a college of 20K or more kids its unlikely to run in to them unless you make an effort. Point is many others are in the same boat and do fine; odds are your child will too.

At Cal Poly most students are from out of the area; according to Cal Poly | Learn by Doing only 1 out of 14 students are from the 3 counties in/around the school. Plenty do do on/near campus with so many students living away from home, and downtown at around 2 miles is a short bike or bus ride away

As a CA taxpayer I urge you to choose CSU and thank you in advance for your contribution to the system in OOS fees :wink:

2 Likes

Ha! I totally understand your sentiment. I’m a California native but a military spouse. This child was born in California which is why they’re interested in attending school there. I have two older children already in college. I know there can be a real range of experiences. Reading the other post about quiet weekends at USD is what motivated me to start this thread. I appreciate your insight. Thanks!

My S20 just spent the weekend with friends at Cal Poly SLO and said there was tons to do there. They went on a hike and also to the beach for skimboarding. He said his friends there go to the beach all the time. I don’t think Cal Poly feels like a commuter school–even if the kids aren’t living on campus, they are living close by. SLO is a great town too. My D22 was waitlisted here and I am most sad about that.

My D was accepted at SDSU also, and even though I grew up in SD I am not familiar with the campus at all. But there’s tons of stuff to do in SD. We’re trying to plan a visit.

1 Like

They all offer a pretty typical live away college experience. I wouldn’t describe any of them as having a commuter vibe.

All of them except SLO are in metro areas so, there a lots of things to do off campus 7 days a week. SLO is a college town and a little isolated, most of the people there are related to the school.

Since you are local - visit the campus and surrounding area for each a couple of times - once on a school day and once on a weekend. Talk to some students, grab lunch and see what you think.

Congrats and good luck

1 Like

My DS chose USD. The vide there is just right for him. We liked the vibe in MIssion Beach/Pacific Beach over Pepperdine (Malibu) and Santa Clara for weekend things to do.

1 Like

Congrats and good luck!

My son is at SLO, loves it. College town, lots to do in the area. He plays golf, took up surfing, hikes, etc… Has met some great kids and the learn by doing education is top notch. Definitely not a commuter school.

1 Like

We are OOS & my D was admitted to LMU, UCI, USD & UCSD.
All have their benefits, but she didn’t love LA, and UCI academically seemed challenging and Newport is beautiful, it felt dead on the weekend.
UCSD is right on the beach, but is HUGE and felt overwhelming. Plus their individual schools seems confusing. But if she was premed probably would have chosen for sure.
USD, beautiful campus, and she thought was her first choice, but the religious element was not for her. Plus it felt too small for four years.
SDSU, last visit and she fell in love. Right size, diversity, beautiful campus, trolley on campus, Aztec Sports, Sweet 16 right now!
It’s has Greek life, though this wasn’t a drawl for her, but is for many. But so many other clubs, beaches and things to do in SD.
Congratulations ~ lots of great choices, enjoy your visits.

What did your child ultimately decide? I am also interested in the weekend vibe at USD

1 Like