What are my chances for UW? (Out of State)

<p>I'm gonna keep it simple...</p>

<p>Unweighted GPA: 3.40
Weighted GPA: 3.60
ACT: 29
Class Rank: Top 33%
Illinois Resident
Applied to College of Letters & Sciences</p>

<p>Decent stat. Likely postpone, assuming upward GPA trend. Why UW?</p>

<p>no, gpa has been really consistent all 3 years, would that hurt me a lot?</p>

<p>If I'm postponed, how likely would it be that I will eventually get admitted? Is there a chance that I would even get in without the postponement?</p>

<p>The chance for clear admit is below 50% unless you are legacy or on some special relationship with the University (e.g. family member of a faculty member). But there is a chance, however, small. Let's assume adcom's shoe for a minute, why should UW admit you <em>now</em> when there are hundreds similar or better candidates from IL? </p>

<p>Your GPA trend neither helps nor hurts. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, it is still early in the cycle for me to even guess a favorable outcome for you comes 3/15. Can you still get a 4.0 this semester? ;) Let's be patient in the next few weeks. Which other schools are you applying to.</p>

<p>agree with dallas; GPA is pretty low compared to most applicants, and is not offset by a spectacular ACT. i'd guess postponement as well. good luck!</p>

<p>what are my odds after postponement?</p>

<p>what are your ECs?</p>

<p>your GPA is low, but your ACT scores should be able to get you in.</p>

<p>why UW?</p>

<p>what are the possibilities that I won't get in after postponement?</p>

<p>Seeing as you are a Bears fan, your chances are not too great. Just kidding, but if you do get postponed, demonstrating that you still really want to go there with another essay and calling the office could help.</p>

<p>anyone else?</p>

<p>What were your EC's, leadership roles, grade trend? Did you complete all personal statements and how do you feel they were? Any rec letters? Are you a legacy or added "weight" to your application?</p>

<p>Bearsfan, DS was just denied and we're from IL, too. His stats:</p>

<p>Unweighted GPA: 3.80
ACT: 28
Class Rank: Top 20%
Illinois Resident
Declared Business as his major</p>

<p>ALSO - Played two years varsity football as a starting player, three years starting player on varsity lacrosse, was captain of football team, plays guitar in a band and did a moderate amount of volunteer work, and held down a job. </p>

<p>I don't know if that helps or not, but thought I'd throw that out there.</p>

<p>wow, I'm sorry for your son. he should have gotten in with that GPA. Maybe it's getting tougher now that it's late in the admissions process?</p>

<p>He applied in October.</p>

<p>anyone else?</p>

<p>There's nothing any of us can do to change your prospects. Be sure to have a safety.</p>

<p>Bearsfan, the letter my son received saying he didn't get in, stated they got a record breaking number of applications this year - "well over 24,000" applications for an incoming freshman class size that will "remain at 5,600 students". He applied back in October and only got his letter last week. I'm not at all upset by this because I didn't want him going there anyway. </p>

<p>Your chances for this school may not be good, but there are other schools out there where you could really thrive and be very happy. You asked a question about getting to Indiana University in Bloomington, but you haven't been back to tell people where in Illinois you're starting out from. My older son is there and absolutely loves it, and I'd like to see my younger son at IU or OSU. </p>

<p>I'm sorry you're disappointed about your chances at UW, but things often work out to our benefit, even when we're disappointed initially.</p>

<p>Good luck to you!</p>

<p>AimHigh-
I applied back in October as well. What date did your son apply? I applied on Halloween, and still haven't heard back.</p>

<p>30% shot of getting in. Most likely deferral-------reject.</p>