What are my chances?

<p>I am a Junior in a Texas High School. I want to get into Texas A&M...really not interested in any other schools.
- In 2nd quartile in a competitive high school.
- 95 GPA (The bottom of the top 25% has a 97.5 GPA. I am working hard increase my GPA)
- Course work includes pre-ap and dual credit courses
- National Honor Society
- Compete in UIL competitons in math and number sense.
- Scored a 28 (breakdown below) on the ACT.
- 2 sport varsity athlete (basketball and soccer). Won 1st team all district honors and I anticipate I will be a captain my senior year in BB.
- Compete for my school in competitive skeet shooting team (club) and hold an office in that club.
- Compete on select/club sport teams outside of school.
- Participated in two mission trips to Kenya and France.
- Some interest in the Corps at A&M and recently did an overnight visit with the corps.
- My mom, dad, uncle and grandfather are Aggie Alums (not sure if this helps).</p>

<p>I have been told that being in the 2nd quartile is not good. Will my 2nd quartile ranking kill my chances of getting into Texas A&M? If not what do you think my chances are and how can I improve them? Thank you for your help!</p>

<p>ACT composite score 28
English 23
Math 29
Reading 29
Science 32
Combined English/Writing 21</p>

<p>Automatic admissions cover upto 1st quartile with a rank and SAT/ACT score. You will need to compete with the rest.</p>

<p>You may want to try your luck by applying as soon as application season opens, early August.</p>

<p>Thank you for the reply. In your opinion, what are my chances (20%, 50%, better?). </p>

<p>My ACT score says I scored in the top 91% which seems good but is it really? </p>

<p>If I apply early, will my Senior grades matter if I can raise my GPA to get into the top 25%.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Even if you make it to top 25%, the ACT score seems low for academic admit.</p>

<p>[Academic</a> Admits](<a href=“http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/gettingin/waysAdmitted/academic.aspx]Academic”>http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/gettingin/waysAdmitted/academic.aspx)</p>

<p>“they are ranked in the top quarter of their graduating class on or before the application deadline, and
achieve a combined SAT Math and SAT Critical Reading score of at least 1300 with a test score of at least 600 in each of these components; or achieve a composite ACT score of at least 30 with a test score of at least 27 in ACT Math and ACT English. Students must take the writing component of the SAT and/or ACT in order for the test score to be considered,”</p>

<p>Essentially, you are competing for a holistic admission. Just apply really early.</p>

<p>[Holistic</a> Review](<a href=“http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/gettingin/waysAdmitted/review.aspx]Holistic”>http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/gettingin/waysAdmitted/review.aspx)</p>

<p>Other than applying early, is there anything else I can do to stand out at this point? What will get me the most attention? Better ACT (I will retake in June)? Other extra curricular activities? Something else? I am not clear on process of determining who is picked when you go into the application pool for review. There must be some way the applications are filtered.<br>
Thank you for your help!</p>

<p>If you make it to top 25% and have a 30 score with 27 each in English and Math, you are automatic.</p>

<p>Otherwise, applying early seems to be your best bet since they admit holistically along the way (this is where they might consider your family association to A&M without stating it). Early is the best way to maximize your chances.</p>

<p>Thank you for your help!</p>

<p>My daughter had a 28 on her ACT and earned admission but she was in the top 11% of her class. They really place a lot of importance on rank. I have seen others rejected with that same score simply because they were outside of that magical 25%. Would definitely take the ACT again and APPLY EARLY! Like early SEptember!</p>

<p>89% of admits are from top25% so yes you have a chance but I think you need to get your act up to maybe a 30. I would take it again in June. You can also apply and still take the act test afterwards and just send the new scores. Good Luck!</p>

<p>Try taking the SAT. A lot of times one is better than the other.</p>

<p>Montemrie–if you still have senior year to go, look at your senior schedule very carefully. Admissions will be more likely to accept you if they see that you are taking rigorous coursework during senior year. The idea of having an easy senior year (something that so many high school kids want) will really hurt your chances of getting accepted at A&M if you’re not an auto-admit.
Do you have any AP classes on your senior schedule? Any dual credit? They will often choose someone with lots of AP coursework over another student who is a few places ahead in rank but without much AP coursework.
Your ACT scores sound pretty good for first attempt…with a little tutoring or practice through a manual or online, you should have time to take it over before applying in the fall. Also, do the same for SAT; you may do better with that format.<br>
Also, work on your application essays during the summer and have them ready for final touches before applying in the fall. Have you visited one of the Prospective Student Centers for A&M? They have a link on one side of the Admissions page of the TAMU website. You can make an appointment for early in the summer, so that you know exactly what you can be doing to enhance your chances during the summer.
Finally, if you’re still taking finals at the end of junior year, they should count enough that if you do really, really well, your rank might go up some (I’m assuming you’re in Texas where rank and top 10% is an issue).</p>

<p>Thank you for or your help. I am not clear on how my senior grades will help if I apply early. Does the admission office reevaluate my application each time I submit a new transcript or ACT test?</p>

<p>I wouldn’t waste any time trying to improve a 95 average in your senior year. As a Texas resident and legacy, I think that you’re good to go. If you want to tinker with the ACT then try retaking and aim for a 30, which will put you in the top 25%.</p>

<p>[url=&lt;a href=“http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/gettingin/deadlines.aspx]Deadlines[/url”&gt;http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/gettingin/deadlines.aspx]Deadlines[/url</a>]</p>

<p>The deadline is December 1st and Texas schools do not require the midterm report filed and they also have rolling admissions - first come first serve.</p>

<p>They also no longer use legacy in admission decisions. Banned in 2004. You need to take a campus tour this summer if you haven’t already. They like to see that you are interested. just FYI, our admission counselor last summer told us they really look at 3 things: rank, GPA and test scores. He said they have too many applicants to consider essays and ec’s to any great extent. Hopefully you are pretty close to the 25% rank. Also what is your 1st choice major? That makes a difference.</p>

<p>Rank is extremely important. No chance at UT-Austin, some chances at TAMU.</p>

<p>28 is pretty decent score but it won’t be enough to compensate for your low rank. It looks like that English section is holding you back. Try to bump that to 28, then you are in.</p>

<p>Montemrie, No, you’re right: Senior grades won’t help except possibly 1st semester if you go into review. Often, student applicants outside of the top 10% do not hear back until late January, so possibly, 1st semester grades might help. However, your junior year grades could still influence the GPA that will be reflected on your transcript submitted with application in fall. That’s why I say that your finals at the end of JUNIOR year could possibly improve your overall GPA that Admissions will see.
However, can’t stress enough–what will still matter VERY MUCH about senior year is the senior schedule, because if they see you taking rigorous coursework for senior year, they know you’re serious as a potential college student AND that you can handle college level work.
So,senior year still definitely matters.
Good Luck!</p>

<p>I would really focus on those standardized tests. Get some study material and improve the ACT score, or take a couple of shots at the SAT or both.</p>

<p>Etxcat is exactly right about legacy. It’s no longer considered.</p>