What Dorms Provide You

<p>First of all, what is provided in the kitchens? Are there microwaves in there or should we bring one for our rooms. Secondly what are some things that you would really recommend buying/bringing?</p>

<p>And how clean are the bathrooms in the dorms (specifically Chad)?</p>

<p>The kitchens have appliances available and that’s about it. I think you might be able to rent pots/pans, but can’t remember exactly. As far as things to have for the room, refrigerators are included while a microwave is not. Would definitely recommend buying a futon and maybe some posters for your room as well. Most living in the residence halls dine in the dining halls, Ritas in your case, so cooking is not a big deal. </p>

<p>Bathrooms are cleaned every day, but can be a disaster after weekends as you might expect. Due to the fact Chad is a learning community I bet they wouldn’t be as bad as Sellery for example, but I am sure you will have your shares of messes as times. For the most part they are quite clean though as long as people take some personal responsibility.</p>

<p>One mini - fridge is provided, but often roommates decide they each want their own.</p>

<p>TV & cheap coffee table to put it on</p>

<p>Futon</p>

<p>AND - buy a 2-3 inch thick memory foam twin-sized mattress topper to combat the cheap dorm mattress. I bought one on sale last year at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $120 for my son (using a 20% off coupon). For my daughter I found a better deal recently at Kohls.com and bought a $350 one on sale, then with a 30% off coupon code for also about $120.</p>

<p>Some people also recommend high quality noise-cancelling headphones (can wear them even if you are not listening to music, to cancel out other noise when you are studying in your dorm room).</p>

<p>The bathrooms in Chad are cleaned every day and are usually very clean. They are not messy after weekends unless you have a few stray partiers on your floor. In the kitchen all the appliances you would need are provided, even a big fridge you can store food in. Bring your own pots and pans though. Most people just eat at Rheta’s though which is the cafeteria. The kitchen will get really gross and messy though (people don’t clean up after themselves) so I advise bringing a microwave for your room so you don’t have to go in the gross kitchen.</p>

<p>You may want to check on rules- only one microwave per room (byo- one of you) so they may limit refrigerators from home as well for power usage concerns.</p>

<p>Look at the Res Halls website for included things. Be warned the mattress pad is worthless- one from any retail store will do unless you want the luxury of the above (matresses are firm and vinyl covered- good if you spill but you’lll want a decent pad).</p>

<p>^You can have multiple refrigerators.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if the residence halls (for me it will be Chad) offer High Definition? And is it free or do you need to pay extra?</p>

<p>No HD as far as I’m aware, there’s a big TV in each den that might be, but I don’t really know, I didn’t use it much. You just get basic cable pretty much.</p>

<p>ABC, CBS, FOX, Big Ten Network, and the like do have HD channels at the ready. Be sure to find them after you locate the basic standard def versions of them, took me a few weeks to realize it in Liz Waters last year… :)</p>

<p>^Ah, that would explain it. Never found them :)</p>