What NOT to Wear...at Bama... ;)

<p>nike tempo shorts are all the rage here, too. every girl has more than one pair!</p>

<p>you can see them or order them at nike.com and other sport type stores like lady foot locker.</p>

<p>when I was at the Supply store during my son’s last exam I got the newest style with the script A. (dark grey/horizontal plaid side panels/white trim)</p>

<p>Unless you are a serious runner… i suggest you order one size larger than usually would. the Tempo Shorts have the built-in brief.</p>

<p>Since the thread title is in fact “What NOT to wear…”, I just want to state my opinion that I can’t help but think of any girl walking around wearing those tempo shorts over tights with an oversize T, thinking that’s appropriate attire for anything but home and the Rec as a…well, I won’t say it, but you should get my drift. I’m fairly sure that would apply to nobody on here. And, still, that’s just my opinion. If she’s comfortable with that, more power to her.</p>

<p>…</p>

<p>I just wanted to make a larger comment of the topic of this thread. I see most of you guys are saying your children wore uniforms to school, but what did they wear while hanging out at home or on the weekends while out with friends? 99.9% of the time, that should be perfectly fine for here (seasonally adjusted). You don’t have to mold your kids into what you perceive to be some sort of norm here. That’s kinda of the attitude that gives UA the less-the-favorable reputation it sometimes gets. </p>

<p>Even though I said earlier that I rarely see guys wearing scarves, that doesn’t mean it’s forbidden. Your son or nephew or you, for that matter, can wear a scarf in the winter if that’s makes your comfortable!</p>

<p>feenotype: although its nice to update his wardrobe I agree that there’s no way he’s going to wear stuff that he wouldn’t normally wear. My problem is S only thinks of (extemely)casual daily wear, I needed to know I’m not wrong in also pushing some “function casual” and a "you never know professional’ look. Unlike some others noted, he is DEFINITELY NOT a shopper or clothes conscious, he’s left it to his sisters.</p>

<p>I understand. That’s something that’s common to all colleges though. I don’t think there’s some sort of item of clothing that people here MUST have that is unique ONLY to UA, except maybe houndstooth (the pattern itself).</p>

<p>I know I’ve tried to find a houndstooth beanie but haven’t found anything online. Only type of hat S wears.</p>

<p>Look up the Shirt Shop and give them a call. I bet if a houndstooth toboggan exists, they will be able to procure one for you, though I can guarantee it won’t be cheap.</p>

<p>Thanks will check them out.</p>

<p>Socal - here’s one option</p>

<p>[Amazon.com:</a> Outer Rebel Fashion Beanie- Black & White Houndstooth: Clothing](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032CBRC8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002HREQR2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0A8SQF4WB2HYB4EC9J7D]Amazon.com:”>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032CBRC8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002HREQR2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0A8SQF4WB2HYB4EC9J7D)</p>

<p>OMG and cheap!!! $8</p>

<p>Fabulous, checking it off the list.</p>

<p>I agree that the kids at Bama aren’t wearing unique or odd things that you won’t find at other campuses (except for Bama exclusive clothing), but when your child has been wearing uniforms for the past 12 years, you need to do some shopping and you want to buy stuff that will work. :)</p>

<p>Actually, I disagree. Maybe it’s just because I’m from the fairly outward-appearance-focused OC/LA area or it’s an East/West coast thing, but when I visited Alabama, I was fixated on the casual clothing that everyone wore. I was wearing a dress, a vest, and boots, and I felt out of place.</p>

<p>Really. I see dresses and boots at bama.</p>

<p>Im just a tshirt and jeans type gal, but i just want to say one thing: LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS!!! Wearing shorts over them is fine imho, but gosh darn it when I go to class I go fully dressed, and leggings do not qualify. I’d rather see you in your pajamas than in leggings and your oversized tee. Sorry to rant, but that is one of my BIG pet peeves.</p>

<p>^^I agree. I hate it when people do it here too.</p>

<p>If you want an idea of what to get your son for college, I personally like to wear:</p>

<p>For Summer/Beginning of Fall:
-Casual Shirts (Button up with stripes and rolled up sleeves)<br>
-Short Sleeved Polos (Solid)
-Khaki shorts (Not cargo, I have a navy blue and khaki pair)
-A Few T-shirts (Keep the graphic color intensive tees out, I like to opt for the solid Ts)
-Rainbow Sandals (Mines have lasted 3+ years)
-For closed-toed shoes, I like converse all-stars, Sperry’s, and Addidas Stan Smith
-Jeans (make sure they fit, I like “straight-leg” jeans that are a bit on the slim side, Levi’s 514, Abercrombie and Fitch Remsen, Gap’s Straight Leg, ect.)</p>

<p>Late Fall/Winter:
You can pretty much wear all of the Fall stuff sans shorts and flipflops if it gets really cold, I just like to layer up:
-Jackets (Northface, Banana Republic, whatever floats your boat)
-Sweaters (I like Gap and J.Crew for these, A few v-neck, a few crew, keep the color palette nice and not too crazy, opt for wool or cashmere)
-Khaki Pants (J.Crew has the only good fitting khaki pants that I’ve tried)
-Scarves (Good Colors are grey, navy, and black)</p>

<p>This is similar what I see a lot of the more well-dressed guys wearing around campus. The trick is to avoid “trendy” items for the wardrobe (Because they WILL go out of style, and when they do, you probably won’t wear it or will feel stupid for wearing them), and stick to lasting styles. Notice how a lot of the fall wardrobe (sans shorts and flip-flops for the exceptionally cold days) can be translated into Winter with a bit of layering. (this is where the sweaters come into play)</p>

<p>Personally, I like to get most of my clothes at the Gap (Not too expensive, nice fit and designs), but of course, there are a lot of good options. (J.Crew, Polo Ralph Lauren)</p>

<p>How to spot a Greek Man at UA:<br>
Polo or Button-up with logo (Ralph Lauren, Vineyard Vines, Southern Proper, Lacoste, Brooks Brothers)
Khaki shorts or pants (NO CARGO POCKETS)
Nice shoes (cole haan, clarks, sperry)
tennis shoes
Flip flops (rainbow)</p>

<p>Girls are a lot harder to point out because of the lack of a common “uniform” type but typically girls in tempo shorts or just large t-shirt/legging combo are Greek.</p>

<p>Krazie, coming from the PNW, I tend to think that people in just about any other states do not dress as casual as us Washingtonians, Oregonians, and Idahoans. Compared to Socal, yes, people in AL might dress more casually, I do agree. </p>

<p>Additional things I noticed that Greek guys at UA tend to wear:
Sunglasses on a croakie
Shorts that end a couple inches above the knee
T-Shirts from past events that their fraternity participated in</p>

<p>SEA_tide is correct. Costa Del Mar or Ray Ban sunglasses are also a staple of the Greek community. Any Greek event shirt is a dead giveaway of a Greek girl or guy. And I think short shorts are coming back in style but some greeks wear VERY short shorts</p>