What NOT to Wear...at Bama... ;)

<p>My son, after reading this thread, said that when it’s warm and it’s raining, flip flops are great.</p>

<p>Until the flip flops lose all traction and you go sliding along the crosswalk, flailing your arms like crazy to try to stay upright, looking like a complete fool when you hit the ground :o … not that something like that would EVER happen to me :cool:</p>

<p>You are too cute, mesquite. Love the mental picture! </p>

<p>We went to a Send Off party last night, filled with girls going up for Rush. </p>

<p>Let me just say, I’m thankful I have a boy! The girls have details of what outfits/shoes they will wear for the various activities every day. </p>

<p>I’ll say our biggest clothes challenge is what clothes can and cannot be washed together!</p>

<p>And thanks for the reminder about flip flops. Put them in the pile. Along with the extra swim suits and beach towels. Want to take advantage of the lazy river before the outdoor pool shuts down.</p>

<p>Mesquite, I seem to remember a similar event happening during Alabama Action. </p>

<p>As much as I like to wear flip flops in the rain, it’s not the best idea unless you want to start walking barefoot halfway through your walk. Additionally, if wearing flip flops, watch your feet when walking up and down the stairs to Lakeside Dining as it’s really easy to trip on the stairs, especially when it’s been raining.</p>

<p>How casual do you see students dressed for class? Does anyone wear sweats? (And by sweats I don’t mean Juicy pants and a Patagonia, the casual clothes of choice at my school that are about $200 an outfit.) This thread is really helpful to get an impression of how clothing-conscious the student body is – I’m definitely a jeans and t-shirts girl with the occasional day of wanting to dress up and the occasional day of wanting to roll into class with pajamas on.</p>

<p>Many girls do wear jeans and a t-shirt when it’s cooler, but no jeans when it’s really hot.</p>

<p>I’m sure that there are kids that roll out of bed late and run to class in whatever is decent. Most kids dress casually for class.</p>

<p>I think some pics at Bama indicate that kids are pretty casual in dressing…</p>

<p>Watch the videos here…</p>

<p>[Touching</a> Lives - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>This is one of my favorite threads on this forum. I wanted to see if anything has changed at Bama in the last year regarding the student’s outfits.</p>

<p>One of my favorite sayings is , “Leggings are not pants”. Do the girls still wear leggings as pants?</p>

<p>I hope the current students are having a restful time on their spring break.</p>

<p>Great thread…just started reading it. Thanks!</p>

<p>Question: My home-schooled kids are oblivious to labels. They wouldn’t know Hollister or Abercrombie from the man in the moon. Which is a good thing, because…well, I work in the apparel industry, and I owe my soul to the company store. I can get casual clothes practically free or at greatly reduced prices any time I want, but they aren’t necessarily the Coolest Hippest Latest Teen-Craze Labels. Here’s what my kids live in:</p>

<ul>
<li><p>Champion basketball shorts. Every time there’s a sample sale or giveaway at work, I stock up. Also lacrosse shorts – they have 'em in a bunch of colors.</p></li>
<li><p>Polo shirts – Outer Banks (our one premium label), Champion (moisture-wicking synthetics), and Hanes (great for just shlepping around)</p></li>
<li><p>T-shirts – Champion and Hanes Beefy-T tees – tons and tons. The employee store has big bins of seconds and overstocks, usually 35 to 50 cents each. I can supply an entire dorm. :)</p></li>
<li><p>Khakis, both shorts and pants. My employer doesn’t make wovens, but we get overstocks from other vendors and sell them at the employee store at discount prices. I have no idea whether or not the labels are cool; they look just like all the other khakis out there. (The employee store also sells dress shirts and dress pants – mostly Lacoste, I think – so we’re well supplied there.) </p></li>
</ul>

<p>The kids refuse to wear jeans for some reason. Maybe that will change. In winter, they live in sweats (Hanes and Champion), and sometimes they wear athletic pants. Obviously, older son will not be able to live in sweats at college! (Sweats make great PJs on a cold night, though.) Also, the kids prefer crew socks to low-cuts and no-shows. I know crew socks are considered kind of nerdy-looking, so I’m trying to wean them away from them. On the one hand, I think it’s great that they’re not label-obsessed or style-obsessed. On the other hand, I don’t want them to be exposed to mockery because their clothes aren’t cool enough in teenage eyes. It’s a delicate balance.</p>

<p>My employer makes the #1 men’s underwear brand in America, so needless to say we’re all set with boxer briefs and undershirts, LOL. </p>

<p>Does this stuff sound like it would be fine at Bama? </p>

<p>Oh, BTW, we also sell this:</p>

<p>[Champion</a> 100% Cotton University of Alabama T Shirt | Shop Champion](<a href=“http://www.championusa.com/Champion/Products/Men-Champion/Men_ShopByCategory-Champion/Men_Collegiate-Champion/Men_College_Alabama-Champion/ALT101.aspx]Champion”>http://www.championusa.com/Champion/Products/Men-Champion/Men_ShopByCategory-Champion/Men_Collegiate-Champion/Men_College_Alabama-Champion/ALT101.aspx)</p>

<p>I plan to stock up. :)</p>

<p>(I write the copy for the Champion website. I’ll have to rewrite that Bama copy so it’s more Roll-Tide-ish, LOL.)</p>

<p>^ I know early on we were really paying attention to what kids would wear at UA etc. Though DS was pretty comfortable in how he dressed in the past, was willing to add a few things if needed. No big concern, but wanted to make sure he had whatever he needed rather than having to get things later.
Sent him down with his usual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, some polos and collared overshirts etc. Requisite blue blazer and a few dress shirts/dark khakis just in case.
Was down a few weeks back - you could definitely dress however you liked and blend in. So many kids, the majority very casually dressed. I can’t imagine anyone would really have to change their style or “up the ante” unless it’s something they wanted to do. If labels are an issue my son is blissfully unaware of it. Don’t think anyone cares or notices if he’s wearing Tommy Bahama or Target. Frankly, if they do - well… I’m not going to say it…</p>

<p>Yes, I would wean them from the crew socks if they’re going to be wearing shorts. :)</p>

<p>the rest sounds fine…many boys are wear khaki shorts/pants and polos. some wear jeans, too, but if your sons don’t like them, then that’s fine.</p>

<p>During the warm months, many kids are just wearing flip flops…so no socks needed for good number of weeks (less laundry to do…LOL)</p>

<p>^^^ BTW, can you tell that I’m a cheapskate and a bargain hunter? LOL.</p>

<p>Thanks, AL and mom2ck! I will definitely wean them from crew socks AND get them flip-flops!</p>

<p>North Face is made by one of our (kinda-sorta-semi) competitors. Besides, it’s too expensive.</p>

<p>I’m really glad I have boys. I’d be broke if I had girls. (Of course, it’s more fun shopping for girls – and there’s a ton more available. But still…)</p>

<p>Forgot to mention that the kids also live in hoodies. They are very resistant to wearing their winter jackets, even when it’s super-cold, but they will wear hoodies layered over sweatshirts.</p>

<p>I do not attend Bama yet, but I do attend a school with many wealthy, label-obsessed, preppy students, and my instincts tell me all of the things you mentioned are fine! I think the label thing is a lot more of an issue with girls than boys – I really doubt boys notice the brands other boys wear, and if a girl is into preppy boys, she will be noticing the style more than the brand. (I really can’t see any girl being like, oooh, that guy is wearing a no-name polo instead of Ralph Lauren, can’t talk to him!) Basketball shorts are good, and I, as well as a lot of my friends, live in Hanes v-neck t-shirts (and aren’t afraid to admit it) – so beefy tees are obviously fine for boys. I honestly have never paid attention to the kind of socks boys wear, but I don’t see any problem with crew socks for working out – maybe they could be considered nerdy for casual wear. I’m sure someone from Bama will be able to give you a more helpful answer, but I just wanted to put in my two cents!</p>

<p>Thanks so much, Regina!!! :)</p>

<p>My kids wear a lot of hoodies, too. :)</p>

<p>If someone likes to wear a certain style of clothing, they should wear that style of clothing. There are many clothing styles that, while popular at UA, aren’t my style. Provided that they keep their clothes reasonably clean and act with confidence, a person can wear just about anything at UA, including T-shirts from other colleges. :)</p>

<p>I would agree with SEA_tide…you should wear what is comfortable for you! I don’t have a S at Bama but D and her boyfriend are here for Spring Break and so I asked him about boys clothing and labels. He is currently not Greek but will be in the Fall. He grinned and said (in that wonderful southern drawl) that it’s really about just pack’in your clothes and keep’em clean. He wears a lot of Polo…shorts, collared polo shirts, dress shirts and khakis, sperrys with no show socks but he also has with him Under Armour basketball shorts, jeans (from Old Navy) and lots of t-shirts…some Polo with pockets but a lot of the Greek shirts (comfort colors) that they make for swaps ect. He said that boys are way more laid back about labels and its all about feeling “comfortable” in your own skin.
Girls…It seems mine LIVES in Nike running shorts. leggings, Chacos, Sperrys, Rainbow flip flops, oversized t shirts (again mostly from swaps but also anything from the Shirt Shack). She wears a North Face on cold days but also has Patagonia and a cute North Face rain jacket. She took 2 pairs of rain boots and now has a cute pair of Sperry “duck” shoes. She has the regular array of dress up clothes…and says that a lot of the girls shop at small boutiques…not the major dept. stores. She wears a lot of causal J Crew and Ann Taylor Loft. I think for the girls (at least those who are Greek), they are into accessories…Tiffany, David Yurman rings, necklaces and bracelets, Michael Kors watches, Coach over the shoulder mini bags, James Avery ect…she did say also that if you are confident in what you have on that it really doesn’t make any difference…that it is most important to be true to yourself…people worth “friending” and “knowing” will respect you for who you are not what you have on. We have tried very hard at our house to instill this value into our kids…I think it’s really important to take a good identity and self esteem to college!</p>

<p>^^^I will have to look up some of the accessories that you named. I’ve have already looked up the cute rain boots. The houndstooth ones always catch my eye. </p>

<p>The last time we toured Bama, we saw the cutest winter coats and furry boots. I wanted to ask the girls where they shopped bit I didn’t. I have since seen the coat might have been from Ann Taylor and the boots from Ugg. Here in Florida, we barely get to wear a winter jacket in so there isn’t a lot of reason for a great coat selection.</p>

<p>Coming from the cold winters of Missouri my D REFUSED to take a winter coat…she insisted that she wouldn’t need it…well she most definitely did!!! When she came home at Christmas she took back two! You can shop in T-Town and Birmingham has some great shops at the Summit. She has twp pairs of Uggs…the really short ones (ankle length) and the mid calf ones…don’t forget cowboy boots! the girls all wear them with their sun dresses. Also Belk has great sales as well as some of the smaller boutiques on the Strip and downtown…D found some very cute game day dresses and just going out clothes on sale when she arrived. The Shirt Shack in downtown has some very cute girls shirts (v neck with small elephant) and sweat shirts. Remember…it seems that the girls wear their t shirts and sweat shirts over sized. I had to laugh because I was asking D about wearing leggings under her Nike shorts or without shorts and she informed me it was OK because her shirt was long enough to cover her behind! I will tell you that we bought a bunch of dresses ect before we came down (she needed them for recruitment) but I would save some of your clothes budget for when you arrive…the styles are just different if you are coming from cities other that those in the South.</p>

<p>Yes, you will see a lot of girls in Uggs…it cracks me up in the fall when the weather starts to turn and you’ll actually see girls in Nike Tempo shorts with Uggs on. LOL</p>

<p>It seems mine LIVES in Nike running shorts. leggings, Chacos, Sperrys, Rainbow flip flops, oversized t shirts (again mostly from swaps but also anything from the Shirt Shack). She wears a North Face on cold days but also has Patagonia and a cute North Face rain jacket. She took 2 pairs of rain boots and now has a cute pair of Sperry “duck” shoes.</p>

<p>Since I have boys…</p>

<p>I did look at the Sperry duck shoes for boys, but my boys ended up wanting the Clarks waterproof boots. (just a personal choice). They’re sheep-shearling lined so not only do they keep the feet dry, but also nice and toasty. [Drift</a> in Taupe Distressed Leather - Mens Boots from Clarks](<a href=“http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/drift/75331]Drift”>http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/drift/75331)
My H ended up wanting a pair as well. LOL</p>

<p>(I want some houndstooth rainboots myself!)</p>

<p>Other footwear for boys…any athletic shoe, Sperry Top-sider style or Clarks or whatever brand, Rainbow or other flip-flops… </p>

<p>In the warmer months, you’ll also see girls in sundresses…especially at the games. </p>

<p>My son’s girlfriend, who is transferring to Bama next fall from UAB, wears sundresses nearly everyday that it’s warm.</p>

<p>Other shoes my kids have recently gotten…</p>

<p>[Falcon</a> in Brown Nubuck - Clearance Mens from Clarks](<a href=“http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/falcon/30104]Falcon”>http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/falcon/30104)</p>

<p>[Waterloo</a> in Tan Nubuck - Mens Hard to Find Sizes & Widths from Clarks](<a href=“http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/waterloo/70980]Waterloo”>http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/waterloo/70980)</p>

<p>[Sperry</a> Top-Sider - Men’s Mako 2-Eye Canoe Moc Boat Shoe](<a href=“Sites-sperry_us-Site”>Sites-sperry_us-Site)</p>

<p>[Sperry</a> Top-Sider - Men’s Billfish 3-Eye Boat Shoe](<a href=“Sites-sperry_us-Site”>Sites-sperry_us-Site)</p>

<p>My kids don’t have these, but these would also be good in cold weather…
[Sperry</a> Top-Sider - Men’s Winter Authentic Original Boat Shoe](<a href=“Sites-sperry_us-Site”>Sites-sperry_us-Site)</p>