What to Wear

<p>We are Freshman parents and teen siblings going to Family weekend and the football game. DD got all dolled up for today’s 1st home game. Should I pack dresses for me and the girls… a tie for dad?</p>

<p>^^^Is that what you’re comfortable in? Is your D in a sorority & if so, will they have a parent event that day?</p>

<p>When we’ve been to Parent’s Day & the game, we’ve seen a wide variety of attire. DH wore an Alabama tee shirt, Alabama hat & khaki shorts. I wore a crimson shirt, houndstooth scarf & denim capri’s. D2 wore a polo, jeans & pair of Toms. We saw some people more casual than us & some far more dressed up than we ever would to go to church :wink: </p>

<p>Watch what the temps will be, and keep the height level of your seats in mind; it would be a bear to walk all the way to the top of the stadium in high heels.</p>

<p>No, bluehen, I’d recommend going cool and casual. Pick up a Bama shirt and put on some comfy shoes and shorts. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Bluehen…you will see lots of game day attire. Since your DD is in a sorority I would suggest a dress for you and the siblings. They don’t have to be dressy and they don’t have to be houndstooth. If I were you I’d ask your DD what she preferred. You will see parents in lots of different looks but when I have one I have always worn a cute dress or skirt. Dad does not need a tie…a collared polo is fine! There will be some sort of Game Day meal at your D’s house. Pm me if you need more info :)…have fun!!! We are not going to Parents Weekend but will be there for the Ole Miss game.</p>

<p>Dress appropriately for the weather of the day.</p>

<p>If it will be hot, then either a cool sundress or shorts/T-shirt. If it’s cold, then bring jackets, etc. BTW…depending on the timing of the game, it can start out warm and then get cold when the sun goes down and/or the wind kicks up.</p>

<p>The adult men don’t (usually) wear shirt/ties to games…usually only male pledges. However, if your child’s sorority will be having a dress up occasion at their house, then bring for that.</p>

<p>The sorority women and fraternity men dress up. If you’re lucky enough to be sitting in a box (with air conditioning) you might dress up. Otherwise, I’d dress according to the weather. But for parents weekend, you might want to make it more like business casual. A nice polo shirt (Alabama of course) and pressed khakis for men…something similar (whatever that means) for women.
On Saturday, I wore long jeans and a 3/4 sleeve top, but I was awfully hot in the full sun.</p>

<p>Son is in a fraternity and they will have a party before the game on the 22nd. DH and I have seats in the area between the students and the faculty seating areas. I have an adorable houndstooth skirt that I plan to wear with a crimson top. Would this be appropriate or should I dress more casual? I don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb and I don’t want to be under-dressed. </p>

<p>It feels so bizarre for me to ask what to wear since my job is helping others get dressed for events and everyday life. :)</p>

<p>That would be fine, I think. It’s a little more dressed up than I personally would be, but I’m a casual person! A LOT of the faculty sell their tickets, so that section won’t be all college professors in elbow-patch jackets and sensible dark dresses, LOL.
Don’t wear those sky-high platform heels you’ll see the sorority girls in. A pair of cute flats would be more appropriate. Remember, you’ll be walking across campus to and from the stadium.
I know people act like it’s crazy for the girls to wear dresses, but dresses are SO much cooler than jeans. Not cool like fashionable…cool as opposed to sweating and hot.</p>

<p>have an adorable houndstooth skirt that I plan to wear with a crimson top.</p>

<p>totally fine.</p>

<p>but depending on the kickoff time and weather THROUGHOUT the game, you may need a light jacket or whatever if the sun goes down.</p>

<p>“Sky-high platforms” at a football game? That is crazy, and yes, I was thinking ballet flats. </p>

<p>I will have a sweater with me if needed but now I’m thinking that since the game is at 4pm I might wear dressy jeans. </p>

<p>Let me say that it is much easier to dress for a Big 10 game but I’m counting on the electricity of the fans at Bama to make up for that. :)</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice.</p>

<p>You see a lot of the students, especially sorority girls, wearing those high platform heels. And I also see them walking back to the dorm or house or apartment, barefoot and heels in hand!</p>

<p>Lol- Southlander, that reminds me of my daughter. I bought her beautiful, expensive heels for prom and saw her putting her tennis socks in her evening bag before we left to take group pictures. I asked her why she was putting socks in her bag and she told me that the shoes would be coming off as soon as she sat down for dinner. Made me wish I had purchased her shoes at DSW. </p>

<p>I LOVE high heels and I wear them a lot but at my age I’d look ridiculous walking down University Avenue in bare feet while carrying my heels, haha!</p>

<p>“LOVE”(my kids and heels) you can start a whole new fashion trend!</p>

<p>At our first Game Day experience with our DD who is in a sorority her daddy was shocked that she had on a dress and HIGH HEELS. We started tailgating at 9 am …by the time we got to the 7pm kickoff DD had a SERIOUS case of blisters and an even more serious case of the crabbies :). She was lucky enough to have a date who bought her a pair of Bama flipflops from a vendor on the street. She has now gone to more sensible/comfortable footwear. She has several pairs of wedges she loves and insists that they are super comfortable…am happy to ask for band names if y’all wish.<br>
I always wear flats as I am blessed with a wonderful short baldy husband…don’t want to tower above the bald head…the reflection from the sun is blinding!</p>

<p>Ahpimommy, pain medication makes you very funny! :)</p>

<p>I ordered a pair of houndstooth Bobs for me. They seem to have more support than Toms and will work with the nice jeans that I plan to wear. I also have a hubs who is not particularly tall!</p>

<p>lattelady…here’s a funny story (yep pain meds are good )…my DD got a kitten for her birthday several years ago. It loved to climb and at night would prowl and climb up on the end of our bed posts. It would hang precariously there. We couldn’t have it de-clawed yet because it was still too small. At that time of year the moon would reflect in our bedroom window and reflect off hubbys baldy head. The kitten would love to sit and swipe at the light rays bouncing off his head. Needless to say he had big ole scrapes on the top of his head. My hubby is a huge war buff from the Revolution thru WWII…the kids went out and bought him a vintage dough boy helmet which he then wore to bed every night until kitty was de-clawed. (we tried a stocking cap but claws plus knit yarn equaled a hilarious situation in the middle of the night…ok not hilarious for hubby but I enjoyed the gyrations going on while he tried to extricate the cat from the hat)</p>

<p>Oh, ahpimommy - that is too funny! Tell your husband to keep those pain meds coming-</p>