whats suny geneseo like?

<p>hi, i recently got accepted into suny geneseo as a tranfer student for this upcoming fall. i was curious about what the school’s like (i havent visited yet) and also what’s it like to dorm. i’m transfering from a CUNY school and i just want to be prepared for dorm life is all.</p>

<li>what kind of clothing should i bring there since its upstate?</li>
<li>hows the diversity there? i know the schools pretty much white but do non-whites fit in very well? (i’m guyanese/brazilian btw)</li>
<li>when your not in class…whats there to really do?</li>
<li>are classes that hard? i mean are they really as hard as they should be since geneseo is the most selective of the suny’s</li>
<li>when does it start getting really warm…like for shorts?</li>
</ol>

<p>i know my questions are pretty detailed but i like to know what i’m in for…any other things i shoudl know…plz be free to include</p>

<p>thanx</p>

<p>I, too, am transferring to Geneseo this fall... from a CUNY. :)</p>

<p>I'm semi-familiar with the surrounding area...</p>

<p>Weather: I think it starts to get cold around November and doesn't really warm up until the end of March, early April? The first and last few months of the academic year are hot. Expect some snow, but I've noticed (at least in Rochester) these past two, three years haven't brought much of my favorite kind of precipitation. Basically, be prepared for all types of weather. Being from NYC, it wasn't much of a transition (weather-wise) for me when I was a student up north in Rochester (~40 mins away).</p>

<p>Dorming: Dorming can be enjoyable, miserable, or anything in between. If you live in a corridor-style hall, expect more NOISE, more FUN (and dumb-ass behavior), more interaction with people (usually). Suites are of a different dynamic, but I doubt you will be living in one your first year. Hopefully, you will have a chill roommate; and, hopefully, you will BE a chill roommate. Set up some guidelines with each other and stick to them (alcohol in the room? lights-out time? guests? cleanliness? etc.) Communicate with your roommate. Be considerate and conscientious. You'll be living with this person for the entire year, so don't be one to start petty nonsense. Some people never see their roommates (busy, partying, whatever), some never really interact with each other, some become buddies/good friends and live together the following year/s. I had two good roommates, and I enjoyed my dorm experience.</p>

<p>Outside of class: You'll be studying. How many hours will depend on your courses/major. There are Div III teams, club sports, and student organizations. There's eating, napping, spending time with friends/hallmates. On the weekends, there are frat parties. There are non-alcoholic events (look up: Geneseo Late Knight); I'm sure there are musical/theatrical productions, too. When you hit 21, there are bars in "town". There are weekend buses that go up to Rochester (mall, Wegmans, the city proper). It's a neat little city (Eastman concerts, Little Theatre, Museum of Play, bars, coffee shops, restaurants). Find Nick Tahou's and eat a GARBAGE PLATE. Also, I'm sure you will get to know people with cars. Buffalo's close by (You MUST try Duff's buffalo wings), as is Niagara Falls. You can gamble and drink in Ontario (Canada) if you're 19+. ;) Toronto is a ~three, 3.5 hour drive; it's always fun to travel. You may be disappointed because there's ALWAYS something happening in NYC, and EVERYTHING is at your fingertips, but I, for one, welcomed the different pace and change of environment (when I was in Rochester).</p>

<p>Finally, college is what you make of it.</p>

<p>Why don't you peruse the college website? SUNY</a> Geneseo
And check out the Geneseo LiveJournal community: Livejournal:</a> SUNY College at Geneseo
^^ People post questions there often (and there are lots of answered questions if you're willing to look through the older posts)</p>

<p>Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.</p>

<p>umm wat does "PM" you mean..sry amma a noob wen it comes to dis website...so which cuny school r u coming from?? and u must lik a senior or junior or sumtin since u hav dormed in rochester b4..was is RIT</p>

<p>"PM" means private message. You can send them to people on the forum if you want your conversation to be private between the two of you. Click on the person's name and choose the send a private message option.</p>

<p>"PM" means "private message" - you can write him/her through CC instead of e-mailing.</p>

<p>any other takes at my question?? some questions were left unanswered</p>

<p>To answer your question about diversity, I don't think its really a problem, but people do tend to cling to their minority with clubs (Black, Asains, and Latinos all have one), but at the same time there's no tension and people are generally friendly to each other (in general as well) and while there is some grouping there are just as many exceptions to that, so I guess it depends how you feel about it. I wish I could tell you more, but I've never really been a minority (High school was much less diverse), so I'm not coming from the same perspective on that point.</p>

<p>Its cold generally here and shorts weather is like 4 weeks per semester (beginning of fall and end of spring). The rest of the year during school is either kinda cold or really cold.</p>

<p>Classes are HARD, especially for transfers. Community College for relatively easy for me, but here I never worked so hard for a decent grade, so be prepared for a harsh, wake up, happened to me and my friend. You should be fine with some effort though.</p>

<p>Rochester is kinda a drive away so don't expect going every weekend, but it is a nice trip for getting away. Frat parties are everywhere and if you never lived dorm-life before or been to one, its something to check-out for sure. Theres a bowling alley and a movie theater that you can take a free bus to in town. On-campus there are quite a bit of activities now and then hosted by the school and its clubs (theatre and music events are quite regular), especially during the first few weeks. Theres also the staple of pool, ping-pong, air hockey, guitar hero, and a wii in the union if you're bored.</p>

<p>Hope that helps</p>

<p>yeahh thanks that did help alot...and i'm actually transferring from a cuny school rather than a community college</p>

<p>At Binghamton it's like a mass exodus of students from campus from Thursday to Saturday nights to the frat houses.</p>

<p>Is it the same at Geneseo?
I'm trying to avoid the party scene. It's fun once in a while, but not every week.</p>

<p>Ultimately, do people know how to make their own fun without alcohol at Geneseo? Because they sure don't at Binghamton. I came from a group of friends who would drink once in a while, but we had fun just driving around and hanging out letting a good time come out of itself... you know, just doing the ridiculous, stupid things that get us laughing.</p>

<p>Are people like that at Geneseo? Or is alcohol the only fun people have?</p>

<p>I think you need to find like minded people more so than blame an entire university for that issue.</p>

<p>It depends on who your friends are--I have friends who head down to the frats every weekend, but I also have friends who don't drink and chill in the dorm watching movies. I'll be completely honest and say there are many more people who drink then people who don't, but just find others who don't want to drink--they're around. There are activities every weekend that don't involve alcohol on campus, and there is free transportation to local things like the movie theater or the bowling alley, and also to malls a little farther away and to Rochester. Don't worry about finding things to do on the weekends besides drinking.</p>

<p>From the experience I've had as a freshman, there is a lot of drinking. Most people go out on Thusday - Saturday nights if they don't have a lot of homework or a test coming up the next day. I've found it pretty hard to find other stuff to do, the union has some cool stuff every weekend, but most of the time I think it's boring and I don't really bother going. Once you make friends in college, you will find stuff to do. It is a lot of fun just hanging out with people, playing board games and stuff. but trust me, it's hard to be bored because you're going to have a lot of work. I did really well in high school and things are still fairly easy/doable here for me, but I have to put in a lot more time and work. You will always have to work to do, and I'm never rally bored. you do have to search for the fun or make your own though,.
you'll fit in fine, we have a ton of diversity. and everyone is so nice and friendly here. don't worry about that at all.
right now, in the school year, it is freezing. you can brave it in shorts, but you're fine wearing pants and sweatshirts already. people wear a lot of north face jackets. it's cold.</p>

<p>hope that helps.</p>

<p>danyellie1913,</p>

<p>You're referring to Geneseo, right?
Because you're just what I need to hear if that's the case.
I'm waiting for them to mail me the decision about transferring for next semester (Spring 09). I think I should be ok, seeing as I got in for Fall 08, but not knowing is making me crazy.</p>

<p>Hey i just transfered to Suny Geneseo
All of what you said is true…college is what you make of it…but lets face the facts: Geneseo has no diversity–and it’s kept that way by the college for specific reasons. Suny Geneseo is known for being one of the most selective colleges in the north, so they have to excuse to why there’s 75%-76% white population every year! -okay? ^_^</p>

<p>SECONDLY, college might be what you make of it…but some places just makes it REALLY HARD FOR YOU. Especially if your from NYC, where diversity is everywhere. Though we should encourage people to accept one another…it’s not happening okay?! That’s why there’s cultural clubs…which also serve as an transition. But the point is, differences should be embraced not erased. Geneseo tends to think everyone will be like the majority in time.
THAT’S WRONG, EVERYBODY IS A MINORITY IN GENESEO EXCEPT FOR THE WHITE POPULATION! </p>

<p>And really…do you think they accept everyone as much as they like to claim?</p>