When do we need to vacate dorms for Winter break?

<p>On the housing site, it says they close at 6 pm on Saturday, Dec 13, but a friend told me she got a mailer saying kids need to be out by noon on Saturday.</p>

<p>Need clarification on this, if you don’t mind.</p>

<p>My son received an e-mail saying the dorms close at 10 a.m. Saturday.</p>

<p>As per the emails and previous experience, the dorms will close at 10 a.m. on Saturday, December 11th.</p>

<p>I think an RA can set an earlier time to be out if he/she wishes (but not earlier than the last test time or something like that). One year, my son’s RA needed to leave town by Friday night, so everyone on her floor had to be out by Friday at 9 pm.</p>

<p>Montegut…have your son ask his RA what time he needs to be out and if he needs to have some kind of “check out”</p>

<p>I have been trying to find the link where they post the different phone numbers for the actual housing communities; ie, Lakeside, Riverside.</p>

<p>I cannot find it.</p>

<p>Can anyone help me out with a link?</p>

<p>Thank you so much.</p>

<p>Call the Community Director of whichever housing community you need. [HRC</a> Staff Listing](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/hrc_staff/staff_list.cfm]HRC”>http://housing.ua.edu/hrc_staff/staff_list.cfm)</p>

<p>The official policy is that the resident needs to leave within 24 hour of his last exam or before 10 a.m. on the Saturday following final exams, whichever comes first. The residence halls are open to people who have valid extension up until 6:00 p.m. An example of a person who would be allowed an extension is a student who is graduating on Saturday morning that lives on-campus.</p>

<p>My DS’s RA told him what Keith posted. He has to be out within 24 hours of his last exam.</p>

<p>And how do they enforce that exactly? Do they check myBama to see what your courses are and then figure out when your last final is?</p>

<p>WHAT? How can they make them vacate after their finals. My son is flying back to CA on Saturday that is when we were able to get the best flight/price…The shuttle takes him there on Sat morning. Are they really going to make him leave earlier? He doesnt have any finals on Friday.</p>

<p>Bassettmomma: Have your son see his RA and explain his situation – that he has a flight scheduled for Saturday morning. The RAs understand that OOS students have special circumstances. He won’t be asked to leave early.</p>

<p>Your son will be fine. I’d have him mention it to his RA, but as long as he’s out by 10 a.m. on Saturday, he will be fine.</p>

<p>That’s the “official” policy. It is very rarely enforced though in regards to having to vacate within 24 hours of the last final exam. They don’t go through checking for the last exam residents take. It’s just been like that for many years, and the administrators have no desire to make a change.</p>

<p>Got a text from son that RA says he has to be out of dorm by 6 pm Friday.</p>

<p>Hope he’ll have his CBH project done by then.</p>

<p>Montegut: I believe that the CBH project, in past years, is due earlier on Friday. If he can, he should try to finish late Thursday so he can make sure all the “bugs” are out of it.</p>

<p>D is friendly with her RA and was told that while they officially have to be out by 10 a.m. saturday, the worst that can happen is that your door card will be shut off at that time so don’t leave the building until you are ready to leave the building. . .</p>

<p>Timeflew: That happened to my son last May. He had requested an extension, as he was leaving from campus to head to Costa Rica for this community service project. (He also had been battling a cold and fever during finals week, so he was glad for the extra day to sleep and clean his place). He called one of the local restaurants to order dinner, went outside to pay the driver and then could not get back into his building. Fortunately, he had a cell phone on him. He called and asked me to look up the number to the UA police. They got a hold of an RA who opened the door for him.</p>

<p>Yikes! Glad he got back in!
Do they always get sick for finals? D has what sound like flu symptoms. I wonder if they all stress themselves so much studying and not sleeping that they pick up every available germ in their weakened conditions?</p>

<p>Momreads, thanks for the heads up! I was worried about the card being deactivated, even if we could have gotten an extension. Hopefully, we will be able to get in and out on Friday.</p>

<p>Question, though, as for move out:</p>

<p>What about parking?</p>

<p>There are no longer the 30 minute spots in front of Riverside, and since it’s a weekday, Friday, I assume we will be ticketed if we park in a reserved spot. </p>

<p>Anybody have experience with this that can give us pointers on moving out parking?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Kids aren’t moving out in the traditional sense. They’re just packing some clothes and their laptops to bring home with them for the holidays… There’s no reason to be bringing a bunch of stuff home…especially if a student is in a private room. </p>

<p>There won’t be a big parking/traffic problem. Many kids will be gone by Thursday night or Friday morning. Kids generally leave within a very short time after their last final…which could be anytime during the week.</p>

<p>This isn’t like Move In day in the fall or Move Out day in spring. Actually, even Move out day in the spring isn’t bad since many kids are leaving throughout finals week.</p>

<p>I doubt that there’s going to be any big ticketing going on, but if you’re worried, then park in paid parking and then just bring the car around when your son gets in with his things.</p>