Where to live? Transfer Student

<p>Hey everyone, I just found out i got accepted into UM this year and I'll be entering as a sophomore with 30 hours. I'm coming in from out of state so I won't know anyone and everything will be completely new to me.</p>

<p>Do you guys have any suggestions on where the best suited place i should live is?</p>

<p>Hey,</p>

<p>I heard a lot of students live a mile or two off campus, either with roommates or by themselves. Housing shouldnt be too hard to find. When did you apply to transfer?</p>

<p>There is a dorm/complex that sophs move into after the freshman dorm. Try to get into one of those. My son lived in Mahoney sophomore year. I think Eaton is another. </p>

<p>I hear housing is going to be tight in the fall. Try to link up with someone needing a roommate or call housing. In my opinion, you should be on campus as a transfer to meet kids and have the “campus” experience.</p>

<p>Call housing on Monday. Current students already have housing for next year.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses</p>

<p>I applied for the fall semester 2010</p>

<p>I was thinking about going into the dorms to meet people and stuff because I’m coming from out of state. However, I don’t know what to expect. Are all the dorms exclusively freshmen? Or are there sophomore students living there also. I guess I’m trying to find the best on-campus place to live where I can meet people and is also suitable for a sophomore to live.</p>

<p>Next year all freshmen MUST live in the two freshmen dorms. No upperclassmen will be allowed to live in Stanford or Hecht. Therefore you would be living in one of the dorms that would house mainly sophomores (Mahoney, Pearson and Eaton) and be able to meet students and form friendships a lot quicker than if living off campus.</p>

<p>Oh ok thanks</p>

<p>and those three sophomore dorms you mentioned are pretty good places to meet new people?</p>

<p>Yes. There are also a lot of clubs that you can join and volunteer opportunities. Students at UM are very friendly and it is easy to meet people.</p>

<p>I don’t think transfer students are allowed to live on campus. This year they changed the process and had a lottery and over 400 students were denied on campus housing for next year.</p>

<p>Some apartment complexes to look at: Red Road Commons, University Inn, the Cloisters, Merrick Park, Gables Court, Ludlam Point, Oasis.</p>