Why Apply to Fellows/CBHP?

<p>Hi, I’m new here.</p>

<p>I am an OOS NMSF. I have applied to UA (engineering) and have completed the scholarship application. I have received my acceptance and an $82K Presidential scholarship.</p>

<p>Can anyone here answer a few questions?</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Is the engineering departmental scholarship of $2,500/year assured?</p></li>
<li><p>Once I fill out the Honors College application, and if I make NMF (I think I will), then I should also receive Honors housing in the suites (worth approximately $30,000/4 years), $1,000/yr NMS, $2,000 for study abroad, and a laptop. Is that really correct?</p></li>
<li><p>I believe I understand the merits and the extreme selectivity of both the Fellows and Computer-Based Honors Program. I am wondering, though, if there are any further financial incentives if I am chosen for either program. Does anyone know? Besides altruistic reasons (Fellows) and research opportunities (CBHP), are there any other strong reasons to belong to either program? For the record, I have a lot of leadership/community service in one particuluar area. I have never had the opportunity to participate in engineering research or research projects in my intended major.</p></li>
<li><p>If I intend to try to start research right away with faculty (I will be entering as a freshman, but with enough credits to make me a junior), should I just skip the CBHP? I’m worried about being overloaded with credits and research time.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I’m trying to decide where best to spend time in the next week. Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>Yes, the engineering scholarship is assured for stats. Did you indicate engineering on your school app and on your scholarship app?</p>

<p>yes, that’s correct. But, to get a real choice of honors super suites housing, you need to deposit within the next month or so. Last year, NMFs that deposited late weren’t given a choice of honors housing. They got super suites housing, they just didn’t have a choice of actual building. Those who deposited early got their choice of housing.</p>

<p>I think the UFE and CBH kids have a lot of visibility. The CBHers have their own area within the Nott Hall which offers a nice community feel. </p>

<p>Even if you start as a junior (as many students do who have lots of AP/IB/dual credits), there are benefits to being in CBH. I don’t know why you worry about being overloaded? What’s your concern? Are you concerned about graduating with a lot of credits? So what? My kids will both graduate with lots of credits. What’s the problem??? </p>

<p>I think you misunderstand CBH. Whatever research that you’re doing when you come to Bama can be used for CBH. CBH doesn’t assign your research. YOU decide what your research is. So, there’s no way that you could be “overloaded” with research.</p>

<p>A few of the Fellows receive the “Academic Elite”, but they are not typically NMF’s. I believe all other Fellows receive an additional $1000 per year. However, additional scholarship money should not be the reason to apply to UFE.</p>

<p>jcannon,</p>

<p>What field in engineering?</p>

<p>Don’t forget to fill out the scholarship application online. </p>

<p>Why not fill out the application for CBH and discuss it with them when you visit? If you don’t feel good about it I would bet you they would allow you to withdraw. We’re in the same boat as you. My son is about to apply and we hope to visit in the near future.</p>

<p>Good luck. Take some time to enjoy your senior year!</p>

<p>cannonj92:</p>

<p>Keep this in mind. Just because you will have the AP/IB/dual enrollment credits to enjoy junior status, that does not mean you can start researching on Day 1. Professors need to get to know you, and you need to find out what interests you in terms of research. My son entered as a junior (65 credits). He spent his first year getting to know his professors, finding out what areas of economics (one of his majors) interested him and putting together some ideas for research.</p>

<p>The good thing about all those credits is that you will have a big advantage when it comes time to register for spring classes and second-year housing. Last fall, my son selected his classes on the second day of priority registration – based on his credit hours. He picked housing on the first day.</p>

<p>As for CBHP, apply. My son had no interest in applying but did after I mentioned the research aspect. On deadline day, he hit the submit button believing that he would never be a finalist. He also did not have any intention of attending Alabama. (He also had not heard from nine schools) Several weeks later, he was a CBH finalist, and later selected for the program. He is currently finishing up his research in preparation for a presentation.</p>

<p>BTW, CBH also has fellowships that are awarded to various freshmen, so there is some additional funding available.</p>

<p>Thank you for your replies.</p>

<p>@mom2:
Yes, engineering was noted on my UA application. I don’t recall that the scholarship application had a place for the major notation. I will deposit for the Honors super suites this weekend…thank you for that advice!</p>

<p>“I don’t know why you worry about being overloaded? What’s your concern? Are you concerned about graduating with a lot of credits? So what? My kids will both graduate with lots of credits. What’s the problem???”
I was worried about the overload in knowing my forecasted schedule (I’m interested in a 5 year BS/MS program; when I visited, an engineering advisor met with me and helped me draft a “plan”). Engineering courses, as you know, require a lot of study/problem time. From what I was told with regard to research, you get what you put into it. I think it might be hard to quantify how much time I can expect to need, and want to leave that door open. And I need to exercise once a day. I’m not at all concerned about graduating with too many credits.</p>

<p>“I think you misunderstand CBH. Whatever research that you’re doing when you come to Bama can be used for CBH. CBH doesn’t assign your research. YOU decide what your research is. So, there’s no way that you could be “overloaded” with research.”
Maybe I did misunderstand. I would like to help with existing research under a particular faculty member. That’s one of my reasons in attending UA. I assumed this research would be outside of the CBHP research, which would be a completely different project. I don’t think I would have the time in working on two different projects. I guess I’m confused about this.</p>

<p>@mom1:
“However, additional scholarship money should not be the reason to apply to UFE.”
I totally agree. I wouldn’t apply to either program if I didn’t have the capability to completely participate in line with their missions. I am just trying to go into this with all of the black-and-white facts.</p>

<p>@loring
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics. I have already completed the scholarship application. I just wouldn’t feel right in applying and then withdrawing from these elite programs.</p>

<p>@momreads:
“Keep this in mind. Just because you will have the AP/IB/dual enrollment credits to enjoy junior status, that does not mean you can start researching on Day 1.”
I completely understand this. I’m hoping for the best. I already have met and am in email communications with a particular faculty member. Congratulations to your son!</p>

<p>Wow…a lot of moms here :slight_smile: !</p>

<p><a href=“I’m%20interested%20in%20a%205%20year%20BS/MS%20program;%20when%20I%20visited,%20an%20engineering%20advisor%20met%20with%20me%20and%20helped%20me%20draft%20a%20“plan””>I</a>. Engineering courses, as you know, require a lot of study/problem time. From what I was told with regard to research, you get what you put into it. I think it might be hard to quantify how much time I can expect to need, and want to leave that door open. And I need to exercise once a day. I’m not at all concerned about graduating with too many credits.*</p>

<p>LOL…you’ll get a lot of exercise just walking to and from dorms to classes. But, if you mean a specific exercise routine (weightlifting, running, etc), you should be able to fit in visits to the gym…maybe not EVERY day, but many days.</p>

<p>*I would like to help with existing research under a particular faculty member. That’s one of my reasons in attending UA. I assumed this research would be outside of the CBHP research, which would be a completely different project. I don’t think I would have the time in working on two different projects. I guess I’m confused about this.
*</p>

<p>CBHP students do this all the time. They use their current research with a prof as their CBH research project. As a matter of fact, this is highly recommended! The best CBH projects are often projects where the student is working with one of his profs on some research project. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>NO NEED to have 2 separate research projects. Students decide their own projects…CBH does not assign them. </p>

<p>I already have met and am in email communications with a particular faculty member.</p>

<p>Good…then you have a connection already!!!</p>

<p>

go figure lol :D</p>

<p>cannon,</p>

<p>We haven’t visited campus yet. We plan to do so in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, we won’t make it before the deadline to apply to the University Fellows has passed. My son plans to apply and we’ll discuss those programs with the faculty when we tour yet before the selection process occurs. I was not suggesting that you start the program only to drop out later.</p>

<p>I asked about the engineering major because the Chem E degree has a summer course requirement that the National Merit Scholarship ‘may’ not cover. It’s just something to consider. I don’t think that’s an issue with any other major besides Chem E.</p>

<p>We may see you in Tuscaloosa next year!</p>

<p>Right. The ChemE req’t is the only one with a summer req’t. I think the more and more scholarship holders complain, Bama will have to do something about that.</p>

<p>Dr. Judy Bonner is pretty receptive to hearing concerns and making adjustments to what scholarships cover. </p>

<p>I’m interested in a 5 year BS/MS program;</p>

<p>Since you’re entering with so many credits, you could do a 4 year BS/MS program and have all costs covered.</p>

<p>^^^ That’s what I was thinking and the main reason why UA is so high on my list.</p>

<p>The reason for the exercise “need” is because I’m diabetic. I’m a varsity cross country runner and train daily. My body is now use to the insulin needed to sustain this. If I take a day off from running, my blood glucose levels go sky high. My doc recommended that I always try to exercise every day instead of gving myself more insulin. I don’t think just walking will be enough. I wish, though…</p>

<p>Thank you for clearing up the CBHP question regarding research. That was really good news!!</p>

<p>On to more essays…</p>

<p>If walking on campus won’t be enough exercise than going to the gym and/or bike riding could also help. The school provides bikes.</p>

<p>There is a trail on the RiverWalk which you could ride a bike…</p>

<p>[The</a> University of Alabama - Videos, Photos, and Visit Reports](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama?entry=image_1_etm024iw]The”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/vibe/the-university-of-alabama?entry=image_1_etm024iw)</p>

<p>The Riverwalk is very close to the Honors Dorms.</p>

<p>Have you considered getting an insulin pump?</p>

<p>^^^ My mom wanted me to get one this past summer so I would be use to it before I left for college. I’m just not too comfortable with the whole idea of a tube going into my stomach. It kinda creeps me out. She’s still trying, though…pump literature keeps appearing on my placemat, LOL! I have only been diagnosed for a year, so this is all fairly new to me. Other diabetics tell me that I will quickly change my mind about the pump option. Time will tell.</p>

<p>Thanks for the link to the pictures. RiverWalk looks like a perfect place to run.</p>

<p>Dear Cannon,</p>

<p>I don’t know too much about insulin pumps, but many in my family had diabetes (prior to insulin pumps) and serious health related complications (not to scare you). </p>

<p>A student’s schedule is sometimes unpredictable, and then there is the addition of stress (taking a test etc.) which can complicate matters.</p>

<p>You might not always find the time to exercise and the rec center can be a bit far. Add that to making sure you have your medicines, making sure others know what to do in an emergency. </p>

<p>I can say in my opinion, please listen to mom.</p>

<p>My son needs to carry meds (not diabetes) for a potentially life threatening condition. I know how your mom feels.</p>

<p>^^^
Robotbldmom makes a good point. </p>

<p>College isn’t like high school where you have breakfast, lunch, afterschool snacks, and dinner at about the same time every day. Plus, in college, there is a lot more walking. With such an irregular schedule, having a pump can really keep things normal for you. </p>

<p>Since you’ve only been adjusting to JD for a year, I can see why the idea of getting a pump seems odd. But, getting a pump is really a good idea.</p>