Will I lose my scholarship?

<p>So, I took an exam in a class. The professor lost my exam but would not admit it. I have no proof that I took this exam. The professor spoke to the dean. The professor told me to take the exam next Wednesday (of finals week). I just received an email saying that I missed my make-up exam that was scheduled today, and that I will receive a zero on this exam. The highest grade that I can receive in this class now is a D. I have a 4.0 GPA. I have financial aid (work-study and Pell Grant) and the National Achievement/National Merit scholarship. I already withdrew from a class this semester because of unexpected outside costs not covered by my scholarship. I can’t get a D in this class. I want to withdraw. I am going to see if I can talk to my advisor in the morning, but I need to know what y’all think will be the best course of action and what will happen to my scholarship if I drop from 14 hours (full-time) to 10 hours (less than full-time). Thanks so much for your help. I am seriously panicking.</p>

<p>Uhh, usually people are nice so talk to your dean/adviser, and I wish you the best of luck</p>

<p>It’s too late to withdraw.</p>

<p>You need to talk to your prof and dean.</p>

<p>What is your cum GPA for this year?</p>

<p>I’m a second semester freshman. My GPA from last semester was 4.0.</p>

<p>How many credits did you take last semester?</p>

<p>How many credits are you taking this semester and what will your other grades be?</p>

<p>You need to talk to your prof. it sounds like there was a confusion as to which Wed you were supposed to take the test.</p>

<p>I took 15 credits last semester. I am currently taking 14 because of my dropped class. Assuming my grade doesn’t get resolved in this class, my grades will be A+, A+, A (or A-), D.</p>

<p>I will talk to my professor. I just wanted to know if there’s anything I can do if he doesn’t allow me to take that test.</p>

<p>The professor/student relationship is not a relationship of equals. Right or wrong, go to the prof with hat in hand and ask to retake the test (again). FYI, be prepared to test on the spot.</p>

<p>crimsonAl- do you have the make up exam date in writing- in an email? Or was it a verbal date that he gave to you?</p>

<p>Contrary to what most are led to believe, you DO NOT have a required minimum hours per semester to retain your scholarship. I have seen this in writing (letter and email) for the Presidential. I believe it is the same for NMF. Contact scholarships to verify this before you get into the whole trying to fix this with the prof./dean.</p>

<p>Start here -
Amber Campbell
Asst Dir Scholarships
205-348-5666
203 Student Services Center</p>

<p>vlines, the problem is that the professor told me the test date verbally. We were communicating through email for a few days, and then he said that we should finish the discussion in person.</p>

<p>That’s great to hear, AL34, but mom2collegekids said that it is too late for me to drop this class.</p>

<p>You won’t lose your scholarship with one bad grade, particularly since you have a 4.0. See if you can resolve this class issue with the prof & talk to your Dean.</p>

<p>If for some reason the D or F would drop your cumulative gpa below 3.0 you have a semester to get it back up, don’t need the whole cumulative but only 3.0 for the next semester. You’ll be fine either way. Call amber NOW so you can get that part off your mind then deal with the rest.</p>

<p>^^^^ Just wanted to clarify that I think AL34 means Amber Capell in scholarships. Her last name is Capell, not Campbell. Unless there is another Amber I don’t know about.</p>

<p>^ you’re right FD, my iphone autocorrected that ;)</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice, everyone. Unfortunately, I’m not allowed to make it up.</p>

<p>Bummer. So what did you learn from this experience?</p>

<p>I tell you what I learned from this experience: that none of my kids are going to the University of Alabama. This is a 4.0 kid, who took the test when he was supposed to, the professor lost it, and now the kid loses credit for the class? Uh, no. I don’t think so. I’d been in the dean’s office every single day until this was taken care of.</p>

<p>I hope students would learn to document agreements, with an instructor or a supervisor or a financial arrangement. One poor grade will not ruin a college career, so no don’t be overwhelmed. Establish a relationship with teachers, students and staff so that when you have an issue it can be remedied.<br>
We had a discussion over dinner about this thread, we concluded that there is more to the story and we are hearing one side of it.</p>