Yale University Admissions Fall 2022

Yale interviewer here. I had posted and pinned this several years:

Each interviewer will have their own style and questions they like to ask, but I think most experienced interviewers will try to make the interview more of a conversation than a series of Q’s and A’s and let the interviewees take the conversation to areas they are most interested in. While I interview for Yale, my kids’ experience suggest the interview experience is pretty similar among the highly selective colleges that do alumni interviews. For Yale, suggested areas they want interviewers to look out for:

• Intellectual strengths and energy
• Academic interests
• Flexibility in thinking, openness
• Expressive abilities
• Nonacademic interests or talents
• Personal qualities
• Distinctive or unusual talents
and/or circumstances

We do not receive grades, test scores, resume or lists of EC’s. There may be a note relating to a particular area of interest. Personally, I do not ask about grades or test scores or ask for a resume because I don’t want to have any preconceptions about the candidate, and I want to base my report entirely on the interaction with the candidate. My kids have walked into interviews where the interviewer has asked for a resume or it is evident that they have some form of resume in front of them.

While I do not have a preset list of questions, the vast majority of interviews sequence out as follows:

1. Introduction/small talk to put the candidate at ease.

2. Ask how the school year is going – from here, I can get an idea of what the candidate is interested in academically and in terms of EC’s.

3. The conversation can naturally flow from the above to a discussion about favorite subjects/classes/class projects and if that is what they want to pursue in college and as a career, or I may need to prod the candidate to talk about this. From time to time, I may ask for some details about a class or project, and at times I may challenge them about a particular viewpoint or conclusion just to see how they react. Often during the course of discussion in 3, I will ask why they are attracted to Yale given their interests.

4. Similar to 3, the conversation can either naturally flow to an EC or I may ask a question to get the conversation to this topic. Here I am trying to get a sense of how deeply involved the candidate is in the activities that the candidate wants to highlight.

5. If all the EC’s that the candidate chooses to talk about are school sponsored/based, I may ask a question along the lines what do you like to do outside of school, do you have a favorite hobby, what do you do to relax?

6. 3, 4 and 5 will take up 80%± of the time. Within 3, 4 and 5, the candidate may ask me questions about Yale, e.g., why did you choose Yale, what did you like or dislike about Yale. There may be very specific questions about Yale, but I’d say the better interviewee questions involve a back and forth about something we are talking about, and it may not necessarily involve Yale. Candidates who show they are paying attention and are engaged in a conversation gets higher marks in my book than someone with a canned list of questions. If I feel that the conversation is stagnating or the candidate is getting tired of talking, I will ask, “Do you have any questions about Yale?” as a break. Usually though, the questions about Yale come at the end.

7. The very last question I will ask is, “Is there anything you would like to talk about that we have not covered?” Most of the time they will say everything has been covered, but at times they may bring up a particular interest or challenge that may be a new topic or it could be an emphasis on something we had previously just touched upon.

After the interview, I try to write my report that evening tying the specific interaction I had with the candidate to the guidelines that the AO has laid out.

Having said all of this, and as posted throughout CC by other seasoned interviewers, these interviews are not going to lift an otherwise “no” candidate into the “yes” pile or sink a candidate that the AO already loves into the “no” pile (absent something totally extreme). I think the AO uses the interviews to confirm if their read on the candidate is consistent with the interview. Also, the AO makes it very clear to interviewers that we are ambassadors representing Yale, and that we should be selling Yale as much as the candidates are trying to sell themselves. So don’t stress, be prepared (but not robotic) to have a conversation about what makes you you and to get as much information about the college as possible.

17 Likes

Does Yale give interview to all applicants in RD this year?

No. There are about 18,000 interviews completed each year against 30,000+ applicants.

From the AO website on interviews Interviews for First-Year Applicants | Yale College Undergraduate Admissions

" During the 2021-2022 admissions cycle, all interviews will be conducted virtually. Because of limited virtual interviewing capacity, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will prioritize interviews for students for whom the Admissions Committee needs more information. Interviews will remain optional, and students who do not receive an interview will not be disadvantaged."

It looks like for this year there will be 3 batches of interview requests that go out as the AO sorts through the apps, pre Jan 24, Jan 25-Feb 14, Feb 14- Mar 1. Interviewers are given suggested deadlines for any interviews they do in those time windows. I don’t think when you get an interview request matters. It is just the order that the apps were processed. The only possible exception is if you get a second interview by an AO or if you are asked for an interview very late, say after the first week of March. Probably means then that you are in serious contention and they want some last minute info.

7 Likes

Thank you.

My daughter in MN got an interview request yesterday. Just another data point for those keeping track.

5 Likes

Hi there, anyone in IL got an interview request? My daughter applied late Dec, no interview yet.

when will the regular decision be released for Yale?

March 31st

1 Like

Does this mean that interviewers will be asked to probe particular areas? I ask because my D22 has just been contacted for an interview. Thanks.

BK Squared listed above the broad categories that Yale asks interviewers to consider. The admissions office does not give specific instructions to interviewers for each candidate. Interviewers are given only the name of the candidate’s high school and the potential major that they listed on their application, if they indicated one.

1 Like

I see. Thanks.

No request yet. We are in TX

Confirms some of the rumors on here about record application numbers this year.

2 Likes

@BKSquared did they do 3 tranches in subsequent years as well? Curious if this has been the plan or you best guessing based on other info? thx

my S22 (Va) has not received a request yet btw

In past years, we just got interviews assigned at various times with an overall time frame to get reports in. This year there are specified periods with a request to do our best to meet the designated deadlines. I am not guessing about this. This is on the portal Yale uses for alumni interviewers. I think this is because of the huge number of apps.

1 Like

Are Yale interviewers given a suggested or recommended length of interview?

How long do your interviews run on average and do you tend to spend longer with applicants you like best or is it more just a matter or who is more talkative?

Typically interviews are 30 minutes to an hour for me, 45 minutes plus is normal. The length is driven by the interviewee, how deeply do they dive when they answer questions, do their answers create a follow up question from me, how many questions they have for me, all set the interview time. Have had great and lousy short and long interviews. It really is in the substance of what the interviewee says. Providing a short superficial answer doesn’t help display intellectual depth. Long winded verbose speech does not impress. Something to think about is that Yale values the ability of students to engage in give and take conversations, whether in the classroom or in the “dining hall”. The best interviews are conversations.

2 Likes

What would be the main reason for increased applications?
Test optional?

I think that would make sense.