2014 Computer Based Honors Program (CBHP)

<p>Son is in the reserve pool. Congrats to all those who got in.</p>

<p>I don’t know about that @mom2collegekids . My email says that “I am delighted to inform you that you have been accepted as a finalist for membership in the Computer-Based Honors Program”.</p>

<p>The wording is so strange this year.</p>

<p>“Congratulations! I am delighted to inform you that you have been accepted as a finalist for membership in the Computer-Based Honors Program (CBHP). The competition for the 40 spots available was extraordinarily strong this year.”</p>

<p>You’d think they’d have used he words, “chosen as a finalist”…if there’s still a down-selection. And the words, “competition for the 40 spots available WAS …” Should be “is” if the competition is still going on.</p>

<p>Maybe if someone were to email Mrs. Batson and ask how long after the weekend will you find out if you’re a member, we can get some clarification. </p>

<p>This Q & A from the CBHP website should clear up the confusion:
Does this invitation mean that I have a seat in the Computer-Based Honors Program freshman class? A: No. This invitation means that you are a finalist for the next freshman class. There are only 40 seats available in the freshman class. More than 40 students are invited for the visit. This visit gives us the opportunity to get to know more about you than what can be written on an application. This visit also gives you the opportunity to evaluate CBH and the University to determine if this is where you wish to pursue your college career.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Yes, that’s how it’s always been in the past. In the past, they’ve invited about 60, and usually about 55-57 show up. then there’s a down-selection to 40 students.</p>

<p>However, this latest letter is worded so strangely that it suggests something different, even if that’s not what was intended. </p>

<p>I’m not sure that something from the Q&A can be believed at this point since that could be old info. If CBH has decided to do things differently now, they may not have thought to change the Q&A online. </p>

<p>it may still be the “old way,” but my goodness, the choice of wording in the letter this year is really bad.</p>

<p>Also, has the finalist weekend always been called “CBHP orientation?” To me, that seems like those selected are already in the program…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m not entirely sure, as things seem to be a bit different this year, but CBH has fellowships (essentially scholarships) that are given to certain participants in CBH. In my D’s class, they were for 4 years, subject to continued participation in CBH and earning at least an A- in CBH each semester. I’m not sure how many there are, but at least in my D’s class they didn’t go to everyone. My impression was that students who did not have the 4 year housing scholarships (the ones that no longer exist for NMFs) got them before those who did, but again, I’m not entirely sure. I’m also not sure if they’re all for the same amount, but the ones I know about were for $5K. I assume interviewing for a fellowship means interviewing for one of those scholarships. </p>

<p>Does any one know how many applied to CBHP and how many are placed in the reserve pool? Sounds like my chance of being selected out of the reserve pool is pretty high given what every one has stated in prior postings.</p>

<p>beth’s mom </p>

<p>Are you saying that if we get into the CBHP that we might be eligible for more scholarship money that is stackable to my Presidential and Engineering Scholarships? That would make UA a ridiculous deal that I might not be able to pass up.</p>

<p>^^^
Yes, the money would be stackable. And, yes, in the past CBH has given money to CBHers. In the past, when the NMF scholarship included 4 years of housing, the non-NMFs were given some money to help pay for housing.</p>

<p>Now, it looks like every incoming CBHer will be competing for some extra money. </p>

<p>“Also, has the finalist weekend always been called “CBHP orientation?” To me, that seems like those selected are already in the program…”</p>

<p>No, it has not been called “orientation” in the past and that also suggests to me that this is something different. If it’s the same as before, then the wording on this letter is quite misleading.</p>

<p>My DS was also placed in the reserve pool. It sounds like there is still a chance to get CBHP, though. Does anyone know what differentiates folks in the reserve pool from the finalists? My son has strong stats (not NMF, but SAT on par with NMF - bad day at PSAT), strong ECs (varsity sports, band section leader), high grades, etc. Of course, we realize that the other candidates could have been stronger. </p>

<p>My son has ACT of 33, SAT superscore of 1500/1600 (1430 highest sitting) and GPA of 3.9 with leadership EC’s. I think what might have set him apart was 1. a summer internship where he did Engineering research at CMU and 2. interest in attending UA. We met with the regional rep of UA three times and visited UA in the summer. The regional rep said that he would make a note that we had talked and met with him and had expressed our interest not only in UA but also with the programs at the Honor’s College. We were initially worried that his SAT and ACT scores were on the lower end of successful candidates last year. I honestly think having a good relationship with the UA rep and visiting made a difference.</p>

<p>"Does anyone know what differentiates folks in the reserve pool from the finalists? "</p>

<p>It isn’t cut and dry. And frankly, probably everyone in the reserve pool is just as good as the finalists. There are just toooooo many qualified applicants and frankly, at some point, they all can seem about the same. And, the program tries to include as many girls as it can, as the program tends to lean heavily male. The process can be somewhat holistic to provide some ethnic diversity as well. </p>

<p>One year my older son assisted with the down-select process. There were literally dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of amazing applicants. Easily 80+ kids could have been selected.</p>

<p>@boilerhorn There are probably others on this thread (mom2collegekids especially) who could answer your question more completely, but as a Finalist for UFE (will not attend) and CBHP, it does seem as if they use a holistic approach and consider your desire as conveyed by the essay as I have never engaged in extensive research. Also, while I am sure what the two above posters have said is true, I have not demonstrated any interest, or visited, and I am a white male from a middle class family.</p>

<p>My basic stats:
SAT: 2370 (770 Math)
GPA: 4.0 UW, 4.60 W (2/335 in my class)
Subject Tests: 4 780-800’s (Though two were in Math so I only submitted 800 in Math II)
AP Classes: 13 by graduation</p>

<p>I posted my full information on the UVA results page if that helps but I would say that essay writing and extra-curricular involvement are the two largest strengths of my application. I am sure, as mom2collegekids said, there are many extraordinarily talented students applying and being an alternate demonstrates that there was probably very little separating your son from being named a finalist. Best of luck!</p>

<p>^^^
^:)^ </p>

<p>Wow!</p>

<p>but there you go. And there are others just like him.</p>

<p>In the past, the students invited to CBH finalist weekend had very good chances of being accepted into CBHP. Those who attended and were not selected were typically those whom the interviewing team felt were definitely not a good fit for CBH. That said, CBH understands that the finalists won’t exactly be the most “polished” applicants. The important thing is that the finalist is very interested in the program and is excited to work/learn with the other CBHers.</p>

<p>As others have said, being placed in the CBH reserve pool or not being selected for CBH is no reflection on your abilities to succeed in CBH. The issue is that CBH has more qualified applicants than it can accept and has to make the very difficult decision of who to accept into the program.</p>

<p>How long after interviews until the students are accepted/rejected?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Usually a couple of weeks.</p>

<p>Some rules:</p>

<p>Do not discuss other schools that you’re considering…that’s bad form.</p>

<p>do not be seen texting others or checking your phone or playing games. If you have to call/text someone, go to the bathroom or somewhere private. </p>

<p>Be courteous to everyone…other CBH students, staff, secretaries, faculty…etc. ALL those folks will have a say in whether you get selected. Each candidate will have a file and any of those folks can write a note in your file if you were rude/impatient with them. </p>

<p>Give good eye contact.</p>

<p>This is the South. That means you greet professionals with a hand shake, eye contact, a pleasant expression and a greeting. (practice this with your parents if this isn’t something that you’re used to doing…do it over and over til it seems second nature.)</p>

<p>People open doors for each other…especially males for females. If you see someone carrying a load, you offer to help. You offer to help really no matter what.</p>

<p>^^^ Thank you for sharing this excellent advice. It’s a great reminder of the importance of good manners and polite, respectful behavior - and not just for CBHP!</p>

<p>M2CK is right about being on your best behavior with the current CBHP group. My son sat on the committee one year and went through the applications and twice, he did the tours and interviews. Boy does he have stories. One year, one young man spent the entire time texting his friends. Never talked to anyone. Thought he was above everyone there. He got selected – frankly, my son does not know why, but turned down the program to attend another school. Another time, during a dinner, a candidate began chatting about drug use. Then, he made some insulting remarks about women. Yes, that immediately went back to the CBHP powers-that-be. He did not get in.</p>

<p>If I can offer one piece of advice, it is: Do not be dull. Show interest in the program and the University. Ask good questions. Engage in conversation. And if you do not think people do not remember you, think again. My son, as an honors ambassador, met with several students over the years. One girl was selected as a CBHP finalist, and he remembered her right away from taking her on a tour. And yes, she is an upperclassman in the program.</p>

<p>M2CK is right, everyone currently in the program is encouraged to provide feedback on finalists. They are looking for students who want to be attend UA and be in CBH. You are not expected to have any research or computing experience. They are making sure that you are able to engage with others because there are team projects. This isn’t to say that if you’re shy you won’t get in because the students in CBH really make an effort to make finalists feel welcome and comfortable. Unlike UFE, the majority of finalists who attend this weekend will be in next year’s CBH class so put your best foot forward & enjoy.</p>

<p>Do not be like the young man in my DD’s group who thought this was the perfect opportunity to garner phone #'s from the good looking ladies in attendance.</p>