Accepted Transfer Students

<p>Congrats man! How did you find out? Did your status on MY UW finally change cause of course mine is still the same old check back for updates.</p>

<p>What major did you apply for?</p>

<p>Where is everyone thinking of living next year? I hear the Transfer house if full. Definitely looking to meet people who are social and outgoing. That’s the problem here at University of Denver, really boring no one goes out.</p>

<p>Yep my status finally changed and I received an email from Bonnie Schmidt with all the details. I applied for Nuclear Engineering.</p>

<p>Playa- I’m also looking for a good place to stay next year. Definitely want want the social aspect of Madison, but also somewhere where I can study. I visited a few friends in Sellery and Witte (mostly freshman) this past weekend and can definitely attest to the outgoing atmosphere of Madison.</p>

<p>Haven’t been accepted yet but I am feeling really confident. Anyway, main thing I am concerned about is living in an anti-social/non-outgoing dorm. It’s really depressing at Denver now because no one goes out, sports and party scene is just terrible, and people are all Coasties and just rude,obnoxious, and annoying. Anyway, Tysonwil where are you thinking of rooming? Decided I want to do the dorms to meet people and I think it will be more outgoing and social. Want to get a dorm with a good amount of sophmores. Housing is stressing me out since I haven’t heard back yet. Really anxious about it and want to get a good dorm. I guess only time will tell.</p>

<p>@Playa2991</p>

<p>I don’t think there is any dorm that is anti-social. Even the Lakeshore dorms that have a reputation for being more about studying than partying are quite social. The difference is you have to make more of an effort, which for you doesn’t like it will be a problem. Most important of all is the fact that you’ll meet people in your classes and there is a vibrant social scene at the Union that is completely separate (though not mutually exclusive) to the dorm scene.</p>

<p>Im just worried because Madison is such a large school and people already have their friend groups. Coming in to Madison where I know one person I am a little nervous. Seems like it would be hard to meet people in classes since classes are pretty big and people don’t really talk to each other. That is the case at Denver however. I plan on joining student groups/organizations as well.</p>

<p>Classes tend to be big but that doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t meet people. I have a friend who I met in a large lecture class because of required group work in it for instance. Also, some classes in certain topics, especially language, tend to be small and involve a lot of required interaction and thus are very conducive to getting to know people.</p>

<p>Most of importantly, don’t forget that there are tons of transfer students at Madison, 2000 a year join UW according to the UW transfer web page. New transfer students and old transfer students know what the transfer process is like, so it won’t be like you’re stepping into a closed environment where no one will sympathize with you. </p>

<p>“Assimilating” is done all the time by new transfer students. It can take some time though. It’s sort of like starting college over, but not quite. For me it took a semester to get adjusted, and this was experience of a friend of mine as well, which makes sense given that usually the first full year of college is essential and formative for freshmen. The time is essentially cut in half since a transfer student already has college experience. Of course, everyone is different=)</p>

<p>Badger2012, where did you transfer from? Big school small school? Also, where did you live when you transferred? Any advice? Getting housing that I like and where I can meet people is really stressing me out. </p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>I transferred from an in-state school, UW-Oshkosh, which is a pretty common school to transfer from (which isn’t surprising since it’s the third largest UW-System school). UW-Oshkosh is around 12,000 students, so it’s definitely not a small school, though compared to Madison it is.</p>

<p>I lived in Adams Hall when I transferred and I definitely enjoyed my time there. Whether or not you want to live in the dorms comes down to three things in my mind: 1) Are you prepared to deal with poor living conditions and a lack of privacy (e.g. communal bathroom, small room, roommate)? 2) Do you want to meet people? and 3) Is dealing with a bunch of wide-eyed freshman new to college in general and still stuck mindset wise in high school something that will bug you?</p>

<p>There are other considerations of course but if you can answer yes to all three then pick the dorms. If you answer a resounding ‘no’ to any I would avoid the dorms and go for a single apartment. You can meet people through classes, clubs, and sporting events easily enough if that’s your only objective.</p>

<p>Hope that helps. Also, don’t forget that whatever you chose, you’ll have more than just one year at UW. In other words, you’ve got time=)</p>

<p>Just ACCEPTED!!! Hellz Yea!!! </p>

<p>Who else got accepted into College of Engineering??</p>

<p>Congrats man! What major did you apply for?</p>

<p>@badger2012- How would you compare the classes at Madison to Oshkosh? What’s your major?</p>

<p>I applied for Civil/Environmental Engineering. Do you know what dorms are closest to engineering buildings?</p>

<p>Congrats! According to Google maps walking distance to Engineering Hall from some of the closer dorms looks like: Slichter (Lakeshore) is about 9 min, Chadbourne (SE) is 13 min, Sellery (SE) is 15 min and, if you want to go the private dorms route, The Regent is about 11 min. Those times are all strictly by street routes of course. You’ll find many shortcuts through buildings, across parking lots and through green space that maps don’t know about which will save you minutes. At the end of the day, nothing is really THAT much farther than anything else.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>They are similar in structure but significantly more difficult in terms of grading and pace. There are always exceptions since classes vary so much between different professors, but this has been my observation as well as that of friends I know that have transferred. The effort you need to put forth to get an A at Oshkosh will likely only net you a B at Madison. It’s also much easier to fail or get a poor grade like a D in classes, in particular science and math.</p>

<p>I was MIS and History at UW-Oshkosh, then CS and History once I got to Madison.</p>

<p>Is it possible to go to a UW-system school like UW-Whitewater for only 1 year and then transfer over to Madison?</p>

<p>@thatnewew24- Yes, 28 credits are needed with a decent GPA.</p>

<p>How do you get 28 credits? How many classes is that per semester?</p>

<p>About 4. Most classes are 3 or 4 credits.</p>