Ask a Current Binghamton University Student Anything!

<p>My school didn’t offer APs or honor classes of any sort. I’m really nervous about starting this fall, because I feel like I’m not prepared academically even though my SAT and ACT scores were pretty good. I know every new student will have trouble adjusting their first year, but will it be harder for me since I wasn’t as challenged in hs?</p>

<p>chirishsarah: Congratulations on being accepted! It’s possible you may have a bit steeper of a learning curve to adjust to college-level work, but our Admissions staff wouldn’t have admitted you if they didn’t think you could handle it. If you’re worried, you may possibly want to look into taking a class at a local community college over the summer for a gen-ed course that you’ll need anyway at Binghamton. That could give you the opportunity to slowly adjust to college-level work, although coming to Binghamton would still be a step up, considering you’d go from a community college to a 4-year university with 4 classes at a time instead of just the one.</p>

<p>Bottom line, though, is that no-one is fully prepared for college when entering. I took lots of AP courses and dual-enrollment courses in high school and came into Binghamton with second-semester sophomore standing. I still had to adjust to a lot of things academically and socially. I wouldn’t worry about it too much - the period of adjustment is normal of anyone’s college experience.</p>

<p>~Rob</p>

<p>i’m transferring to bing from a cc this fall. right now they put me in harpur cause i got rejected from som (cause i didn’t take any business related classes at my cc cause i just decided on a major- i was also in liberal arts at my cc) i heard that som is really hard to get into, but no one really went into detail. i’m graduating from my cc WITH a liberal arts degree. i really wanna major in business management/administration or accounting, but now i’m being so discouraged to even attend bing anymore ): any tips?</p>

<p>Is it true that Binghamton rejects or wait lists high stats kids because they assume you are using them as a safety and will not attend?</p>

<p>^That has definitely not been the experience of me or my acquaintances.</p>

<p>Literally everyone who applied from my school with a 2000+ SAT and 3.7+ unweighted GPA got accepted, including multiple people with 2200s/2300s. (This is coming from legitimate Naviance data, not just word of mouth.)</p>

<p>So no.</p>

<p>I have a really quick question because my orientation is tomorrow and I’m nervous about choosing classes. I’m going to be signing up for a Calculus 1 Class and I’m wondering which graduate student would serve as the best teacher of this class. I’m not sure if any of you will know, but I thought I’d give it a shot. I’m thinking either Thomas J Kilcoyne, Laura A Gray, Ashley E Culpepper, or Eran Crockett. The graduate students I really wanted just graduated this past year ): and if none of you have any input, do you know of a place I can go to and ask this question? I can’t use ratemyprofessor.com because they are graduate students and they’re not on there lol thanks in advance~</p>

<p>Do freshman get an option to go in a suite? Would you suggest dorms or suites?</p>

<p>yes. my son got one. what happens is that you have to put what residence hall you want from 1st choice to last choice. 2 of the residence halls are ‘all suites’, 1 is a combo of suites and corridor style and 2 are all corridor.</p>

<p>Mountain View - all suites (tough to get into)
Hinman - all suites
College in the woods - mix suites and corridor
Dickinson - all corridor
Newing - all corridor</p>

<p>to talk about a recommendation you have to determine what you will like more . everyone is different. Corridor style leads itself to me more interactive and people get to know each other more. Also - corridor style has one bathroom for the entire floor (I think). Suite Style is one bathroom per suite but you would need to make more of an effort to interact with your floor mates.</p>

<p>so it depends on what you like</p>

<p>I am a sophomore looking to transfer from Brooklyn college (CUNY) to either SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Albany, or Baruch (CUNY). I am double majoring in accounting and finance and im looking for the best school for these majors. I understand Binghamton is a top notch school, buy my concern is whether or not the school of management has a trading floor or not for people, like myself, looking to get a feel for the stock market and being able to work with the Bloomberg systems that are actually used on wall street. Also how well is the school of management and are there opportunities for internships and future jobs?</p>

<p>Is the nursing program at Binghamton a direct-entry program (guaranteed into program as long as keep GPA/required courses to their specs) or a 2 year then apply for nursing?</p>

<p>Does Binghamton have an elementary education program?</p>

<p>Can you stay on campus all four years if you wanted to?</p>

<p>Yes you can stay for four years if you want.</p>

<p>No specific elementary education program, but you can take all the pre-reqs here and then go to grad school for it. We also have an education minor. There’s a grad school of education that can help you out a lot, and a ton of child-related clubs and organizations to get involved in.</p>

<p>Is there any online or physical place at Bing where students can post notices re looking for (or offering) rides? My daughter is a new student so not yet able to have her own car at school. We live in New England, and know that there HAVE to be other students who may be driving home for Thanksgiving and Xmas, but we just don’t know how to find them. This year, she is looking for a ride. Next year, she may be in a position to offer rides to others. Any advice?</p>

<p>I know there’s a Boston Carpool Facebook group with dozens of active members. I’m from Long Island but got a ride somewhere in MA very easily when I had to meet my family there. There’s also a regular carpool page where you’ll find mostly NYers but definitely people from various places around the northeast, too. The “Class of 201X” Facebook pages are also really active and a good place to post.</p>

<p>Rebeccar: Thank you!! </p>

<p>If anyone else has experience with this ride sharing thing, please weigh in too.</p>

<p>Rebeccar: </p>

<p>Im also from Long Island thinking about going to Binghamton. Can you tell me a little bit about the school like how is the campus, food, professors, and classes. Is it depressing because i heard the weather sucks.</p>

<p>Also how are the parties, are they held on or off campus? Are there parties every weekend since i heard binghamton does have a good social life. how often do people socialize and is the student body friendly? Thanks</p>

<p>Campus: Not so fancy-- no gothic architecture or anything, but I enjoy walking through it. There’s a lot of construction going on now but it should be done by next year and a lot of buildings are going to be nice and new once they finish it. The nature preserve is a really great resource, people go on walks there a lot.</p>

<p>Food: A lot of negativity about the meal plan prices and food choice but I think the food is pretty good. Typical dining hall stuff, but we also have an Einstein’s Bagels and are getting a Moe’s, Red Mango, chinese food place, and some other stuff in the new food court opening this spring. There’s lots of kosher, vegetarian, halal, nutritious etc stuff.</p>

<p>Professors and classes: This is going to definitely depend on your intended major. I’m English and History and I really love most of my classes. Other than two or three, I’ve enjoyed all my professors.</p>

<p>Parties: Most people go downtown for parties. It’s not really my scene but there’s a bunch of bars and frats which have stuff every weekend. From Thursday-Saturday nights there’s always a big crowd of people waiting to take the buses downtown. A lot of people pre-game in their dorms or apartments, too, but nothing huge. How often people socialize is entirely what you make of it. I know people who go downtown every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night and I know other people who never do but hang out and get dinner with people whenever they want. It’s definitely a social campus, there’s so many clubs and things to get involved in.</p>

<p>Glad to hear there are things to do in town. How is the campus life, overall. Are there school sponsored events and do the students take advantage of them?</p>

<p>Also, are there students from other parts of the country? I realize it’s mostly in-state but we live in the midwest.</p>

<p>Hi Cheriship:
I’m really glad that I saw someone who goes to Binghamton and knows something about the school.
I’m a high school senior interesting in applying Binghamton and possibly attending Binghamton, but I need more info. on Binghamton because I feel a little bit indecisive now.
If you want to know a little bit about me, please go here:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/suny-binghamton/1575524-binghamton-good-choice-me.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/suny-binghamton/1575524-binghamton-good-choice-me.html&lt;/a&gt;
I have posted this forum for days and no one comes to visit me. I’ll really appreciate it if someone like you can offer me some insightful advises! You can directly post on my forum if you want to. I would really appreciate it if you could just give a slight bit of advises on Binghamton! Thank you!</p>

<p>Hey there I’m also a current Binghamton student so I figured maybe I could help.
There are definitely school events. This semester J Cole had a concert and Dimitri Martin had a comedy show (I had tickets to both but unfortunately missed both due to unforeseen circumstances). There was a carnival type atmosphere on opening weekend, with lots of tabling for student groups and clubs. Homecoming is a bit lackluster, but what can you really expect without a football team. On a campus level, most people I know are involved in at least one group or club. Many students are involved in several. </p>

<p>‘Events’ you may be thinking of may exist more on a living community level. I personally live in Newing, and every Saturday there is co-rec football by dorm, as well as many other events. They tend to be well advertised in the different halls. There are also building events and floor events. </p>

<p>I personally live in Missouri, and I certainly know people from states other than New York. The majority of people are from New York, specifically long island. There are a fair few from NJ, PA, and CT. There are a couple from everywhere else. It feels like there are lotttsss of international students.</p>