Cbhp

<p>Thanks for the explanation, y’all! It doesn’t sound like a good fit for DS. After a lifetime as a home-schooler, he will have a hard enough time just transitioning to a huge university, without the added challenge of intensive research. So, it’s just as well we didn’t know about it, LOL. He is in regular University Honors, and that’s fine, I think, for a liberal-arts kid. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Congrats to all the kids who made finalist–and best of luck with the next step!!</p>

<p>I made finalist, which I wasn’t expecting at all. It honestly brightened my entire week. </p>

<p>So does anyone know what happens from here? Is the interview more casual or should I be preparing for some academically grilling questions?</p>

<p>I wouldn’t say that the interview is grueling. I would say it’s more of a chance for CBH to get to know you better and see that you can behave in a professional manner, have good social skills, and are well-groomed. </p>

<p>Everyone there is going to be a “high stats kid,” so at this point, it’s kind of like a med school interview…making sure that you’re not lacking in social skills and poise. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that everyone you meet that weekend will likely have input into which kids are ultimately chosen.</p>

<p>I just got an email from Mrs. Batson; I wasn’t admitted, but I was “placed in the reserve pool.” Although this isn’t the greatest news, it is encouraging. I was wondering, though, is there really a reserve pool or is this just a nice way to say that I didn’t get in? lol. And if this is true, about how many people are usually put in this reserve pool/ how many are admitted out of the pool?</p>

<p>JAB6666: Yes, there really is a reserve pool, so do not be discouraged. Someone may decline his/her invitation to finalist weekend, and you may get an invitation.</p>

<p>Hope I’m in that reserve pool haha.</p>

<p>Social skills? LOL – that lets my kids out right there.</p>

<p>Just kidding. Although we do sometimes refer to our younger son as “Paul the Barbarian”…</p>

<p>I guess I’ll be going down by myself. </p>

<p>Soo… Do I just buy my plane tickets now and get reimbursed through UA later?</p>

<p>Someone had mentioned interviewing on an alternate weekend.
I recently realized that I have a major prior commitment that weekend (academic competition), and I’m doing my very best to schedule them around each other. Unfortunately, it’s not working out very well. I emailed Ms. Batson with the situation and she was very cooperative. Finalists who aren’t able to fly in are interviewed later during Skype or via phone.
I’m absolutely awful with phone interviews, so I hope I can somehow swing coming in on Sunday. It’s also a huge disappointment, thinking about how I’d miss the activities and the chance to meet other finalists. Plus I really wanted to see the university. Fingers crossed.</p>

<p>That’s how we did it. You have to purchase the tickets so you can give them your arrival/departure times.</p>

<p>Congratulations to all of the finalists! My DD and I will be driving to Bama for the CBHP weekend. Will any other parents be there? Is the Hampton Inn a nice place to stay?</p>

<p>My son is also in the reserve pool.</p>

<p>I have stayed at the Hampton Inn twice and had no issues. I will be there for CBHP and will probably stay there again!</p>

<p>Thanks, ShamrockDad.</p>

<p>Just finished booking my stay at Hampton Inn.</p>

<p>Concerning the CBHP reserve pool, there is no set number that will be invited from the reserve pool and into CBHP. It depends on the number of finalists who are accepted into CBHP and ultimately enroll at UA.</p>

<p>Does anyone know the number of students who are invited down for the CBHP interviews?</p>

<p>MidwestPop: When my son interviewed last year there were about 50 students. some had interviewed during other time slots (conflicting schedules). I believe that the usual number is between 50-60 students.</p>

<p>OK, thanks Robotbldmom. My DD was really leaning towards another school until she received her CBHP interview request. Now we are trying to decide what the “odds” are that she might actually get into the CBHP program. With just 50-60 students interviewing, I’d say those are pretty good odds! Guess we need to submit the registration by noon tomorrow!?! Ah!!</p>

<p>Did any of you (your kids) get any sort of response after rsvp-ing to that email address? Because my son didn’t, and (silly me) I keep thinking that they might give his slot away to somebody else if they don’t know he’s coming! :slight_smile: (OCD?)</p>