Chance Me?

Hi all,
Im a graduated HS student who is technically enrolled in UC Davis (scheduled to attend this upcoming September). I lived in Virginia for 18 years and after being accepted into many California colleges, my father and I moved out west in August. However, personal issues have driven me to apply to Virginia Tech, a day before the deadline I might add, and right now my future regarding college is riding on this one decision, as most other VA college deadlines have passed.

I’m hoping to gain some insight as to whether I’d be accepted or waitlisted, as I realize VT tends to waitlist students they think are only applying to them as a safety school.

Here are my stats:
Major–Political Science
GPA–4.34 (W), school doesnt give UW
SAT Math–670
SAT Writing–720
SAT Comp–1390

I took 11 APs, performed well on the exams.

EC-- volunteering, community service clubs, VP of MHS, did a year in Varsity Tennis

Also does anyone know if I’d be considered OOS? I’ve been living in California for only a few months and I plan on moving back to VA regardless.

Thank you for reading! Let me know your thoughts

Your stats sound outstanding for VT Political Sci. My son has also applied to Poli Sci and both his GPA & SAT scores are well beneath yours. Look at VT past admission data broken down by majors, gender, residency to give you an idea:

https://irweb.ir.vt.edu/webtest/admission_data.aspx

I would get an apartment in Virginia quick like to maintain residence.

As your fathers tax return for 2017 - last one filed would show all Virginia you should be able to get Virginia rates - how did you list on application? Shame if you listed as out of state only living in California for a few months.

You should be fine acceptance wise.

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate the link, @kathyrain. I am hoping the best for your son!

As for getting an apartment, that would be difficult given that I have no income and my father has yet to be informed of my decision to move out. But I have grandparents that I plan to move in with, and they have been living in Virginia for decades.

For the VT application I believe I only stated my current address and previous 2 addresses (both of which were in VA). I’m hoping that they treat my residency in CA as like a vacation. Not sure how this will work FAFSA wise because when I move, my grandparents are going to pay for my college expenses so I might have to make them my legal guardians. @cbl1

I’m in a very complicated family situation right now. I realize it might be a little confusing but feel free to ask questions. :slight_smile:

I emailed the Undergraduate Admissions’ office. Hopefully I can get some tailored information for my situation. For those who are curious, I’ll keep this thread updated!

Update:
Undergraduate Admissions responded saying that residency is dependent on the parent(s). For example, because my dad lives in CA I would be considered OOS. However, it takes 365 days of living in the state to become a CA resident, thus we should be Virginians until August. I sent another email to confirm but they got back to me saying that this is a matter for someone else, as they usually only determine if someone is in-state or not.

For someone curious as to how to obtain Virginia residency, know that similar to CA you must reside in the state for 12 consecutive months prior to enrollment.

Seems to me as the last tax return your father files is a Virginia Tax return - that is what they would go off of. Then you establish emancipated residency as an adult in Virginia with your grandparents house as your permanent address. You could even with part time job then show your continued Virginia Tax return and residency.

I would just use your fathers tax return and address as grandparents as your proof of residency. And I don’t like people scamming the system - but in this case you have always been a Virginia resident and seem you should rightfully get in state tuition. Its a shame you actually even mentioned as out of state and CA on your application - that may be your undoing.

I’m not so sure about using my father’s previous tax return when the most recent one might have been filed in California, though I definitely lack knowledge in this department.

How would I go about establishing emancipated residency?

I agree that I have the right to be considered in-state, but I didn’t want to lie about my current home address, especially on such an important application. Hopefully I can appeal my case if they conclude me to be OOS.
@cbl1

His last filed tax return should be for 2017 (he would just now be working on his 2018 return).

If you have only been in California 3 months - his last tax return for 2017 was a Virginia return.

I assume your 18 so you are an emancipated adult - you can have your permanent resident different from your parent and your gradparents can be your new permanent address (which seems will be the case when you come back to Virginia).

You definitely have a case to be made.

We have been in California for 6 months, but I see your point. Thank you for the help, @cbl1 . I’ll update this thread with news of my decision when the time comes!

@cbl1

Do you know what an emancipate adult is? It doesn’t matter what this kid’s permanent address is for college tuition purposes. For college tuition purposes in most states (including Virginia), the residence of the parents is considered the student address for instate tuition purposes. So…this kid could have a VA drivers license, register to vote in VA, and live with grandparents in VA, but if the parent lives in CA, the student very well could NOT be a VA resident for instate tuition purposes.

This poster said the student and parent moved to CA and the kid attended college in CA. If the parent continues to live in CA, I can’t imagine how she would get instate status in VA. Living with grandparents won’t matter because it’s the PARENT residency that matter.

@pungie2000 I can’t think of any way you could do this.

Thank you for the clarification. @thumper1 It is certain to me now that I definitely would not be in-state, regardless of any other factors.

I should note that I have not ‘attended’ college. I’m in my gap year and my enrollment with UC Davis has been deferred for 1 full year.

Thank you for the clarification. @thumper1 It is certain to me now that I definitely would not be in-state, regardless of any other factors.

I should note that I have not ‘attended’ college. I’m in my gap year and my enrollment with UC Davis has been deferred for 1 full year.

I still think it’s worth discussion with virginia tech since your father has currently never filed taxes in any other state other than virginia.

@cbl1

The father is NOT a resident of VA. When he files his tax return this year, it will be as a resident of California.

It basically sounds like this father and student moved to California, and planned to establish residency there for instate tuition purposes in CA. The student has clarified that she/he has not attended college in CA and is doing a deferred year on CA…presumably to establish instate resident status…

Now, the student is having second thoughts but the custodial parent has already relocated to CA…and even if they move today back to VA, they won’t be there in time for this student to have instate status in VA for the fall term. The student moving back with grandparents won’t have a speck of influence on residency for instate status.

My opinion…this student needs to do some very significant thinking. And getting things clarified.

If they are not a VA resident…how will they pay the OOS costs to attend any VA public university?

If they ARE a CA resident for the fall term…why aren’t they going to Davis? I’m sure they think thy have a good reason…but maybe not.

Plan C…since A has not worked out it seems…and Plan B going to VA might not either…

Figure out where you really want to be. Move there. Get a full time job. Establish residency…work work until you are age 24 and YOUR student residency will be what matters both for financial aid and in or out of state residency purposes.

requirements per virginia law regarding tuition and being emancipated adult

“If a student under the age of 24 who wishes to be considered independent, then he must be able to demonstrate, via clear and convincing evidence to the institution, that his parents have surrendered the right to his care, custody, and earnings, do not claim him as a dependent on federal or state income tax returns, and have ceased to provide him substantial financial support.”

Here are the in-state requirements for tuition:

http://www.schev.edu/index/tuition-aid/in-state-residency

Key here to me would be stress the grandparents address as current address and as they say with special circumstances “SCHEV encourages individuals to contact directly the domicile officer of their attending institution to discuss available options”

@thumper1 has pretty much nailed my situation on the head.

The reason for “Plan B”, where I move back to VA and possibly attend VT, is that I currently live in an environment that is damaging to my mental health, I believe. The details are very personal, but in short I deal with a lot of burdens at home. Over time they have had negative long-term effects on my development. I took a short vacation in Virginia to see my grandparents and friends. It was a great way to have the head space I needed. When I originally applied to VT, by no means did I make my decision to move yet. Ironically, my vacation was not one at all. I’ve been under a lot of stress contemplating what it would mean if I moved back. For many reasons, I ultimately decided in favor of the decision.

Unfortunately what @thumper1 said about Plan B likely failing is true. My best friend suggested I apply to the private university she attends, Hollins, and I followed her advice. They apparently grant a lot of money in scholarships for many things. If they accept me, this could be a possible option. I suppose “Plan C” is attending Hollins, at a presumably lower price than OOS VT costs, and I may or may not transfer to VT after a year.

The cruel fact is that I definitely cannot afford OOS tuition. My only hope is making a strong case to VT or attending Hollins with significant scholarships. If all else fails, and I don’t know if this is even possible, I could make my grandparents my legal guardians to somehow obtain in-state residency or gain VT’s favor?? I have no clue if VT would be forgiving in my situation. I’m sure many students like me have sought in-state tuition and failed.

You are over 18 years old. I don’t think “you” can make your grandparents your legal guardians. This is something that would need to be court ordered, and your parents would need to give up their parental rights. But I think that ship has sailed because you are over 18 years of age. You don’t even need a legal guardian.

Good luck with your applications. Do you have other applications submitted? Deadlines for some places have passed, and certainly for large merit awards if you are qualified to receive them.

I DO think you need to clarify your residency status in VA. This is something to discuss with the college(s).

There are other colleges on VA beside VT. Is there any public you can commute to while living with your grandparents? At least that would save you room and board costs.

Besides Hollins University and VT, I have not applied elsewhere. I’m a strong student but I understand that still means I could be denied from both colleges. I could commute to GMU, however that deadline has passed. The last LAST resort is commuting to NOVA, which is a community college, and I was technically admitted in January. So essentially, moving to VA isn’t in question. I can move, but with a year already wasted, how long am I willing to wait to attend college? And what am I willing to sacrifice? Maybe I just have to suck it up and stay in CA for the sake of convenience.

You can be certain that I’ll discuss my residency with the colleges. There’s a case to be made. In the end, they might not give me instate but at least I could say I did my very best.