Chancellors and Powers-Knapp Scholarship

Now that December has come around and early admission decisions are coming out soon, I wanted to start this discussion up. Who else applied for Chancellors/Powers-Knapp scholarship, priority or regular, and does anyone have any info on when those decisions will come out? I personally applied for priority decision, and I’ve been so anxious.

I applied for it priority as well. I did hear that they will be released at the same time as early action decisions. Although now with the e-mail that went out with an expected delay, who knows when that will be? I assume by 12/31. Dying to hear…

@lisacano7227 Same. On the site, it says by end of December but I thought they were closed after the 24th until January. Unless the calls are going out over break. I’m most likely going to send an email or call this weekend.

I applied priority, OOS EA so no decision yet. I don’t think I’d get the scholarship though to be honest

Any news on the scholarship?

Son accepted tonight! No word on Chancellor however. My son emailed them about a month ago to confirm when their scholarship award decisions would go out and they said for priority by 1/1. Just would love to have an answer (either way!) by then… Good luck to all!

Daughter accepted yesterday and in state. Daughter received the chancellor scholarship (Mercile J Lee Scholars) 4 years full tuition. The scholarship was stated within the acceptance letter. So proud!

1 Like

@Luvbadgers Congratulations! I applied for the Powers-Knapp Scholarship.

Chancellor’s and Powers-Knapp programs, now known as the Mercile J. Lee Scholars Program. FYI

@Luvbadgers Thank you for the information. So if they don’t tell you in the letter does that mean you didn’t get the scholarship?

I don’t know but It seems like it. The letter congratulated my daughter on her admittance and being “selected” for the scholarship within the first paragraph. However, don’t give up hope. Talking to a few previous winners of the scholarship from previous years and they stated that they have to accept it by a certain date; otherwise, it will go to the next person in line. I supposed a few may enroll at another university instead of Madison. Last year, about 130 students received the scholarship.

@Luvbadgers Thank you.

What stats are needed to be competitive for a full tuition scholarship to UW-Madison?

@mom2collegekids some information on this particular program (but nothing specific about stats):

"One hundred and thirty-two (132) new students have been recruited to join the Scholars Program this coming Fall 2019.
The Mercile J. Lee Scholars Program is a highly selective merit-based program for academically talented students from underrepresented diverse racial/ethnic and disadvantaged groups who have leadership potential and a demonstrated interest in and commitment to service. "

About 10 years ago, I knew of an instate student with an ACT score of 31 who had this scholarship.

@Luvbadgers Congratulations to your daughter! Still holding out hope for a call this holiday season. Any chance you could post what the acceptance said?

“…it is my pleasure to offer you admission and to share my deepest congratulations on you being selected for the Mercile J. Lee Scholars Program, which includes a 4 year, full tuition Scholars award.”

Just for reference, daughter’s stat:

4.38 weighted gpa/ 3.98 unweighted
35 ACT composite
12 AP
NMF
Ap Scholar with Honor

I meant…National Merit Semifinalist, not NMF. Sorry…

1 Like

Any notifications to OOS applicants yet? I see the person who posted above was in state. Wondering if any OOS people have heard yet?

I believe OOS are being notified because from another thread on uw Madison early decison @ slytherinriddle stated,

“I didn’t realize there were so many people from Long Island on here!

I just re-checked my portal since my phone wasn’t allowing me to read my decision letter last night. All I knew was that I was admitted, but I just learnt that I was selected for the Mercile J. Lee Scholars Program!
(Quick Stats: 4.0 UW GPA, 1580 SAT, 800 Math II, decent ECs)”

I emailed them asking if decisions would be delayed bc of some delayed admission decisions, and they responded “Decisions on the Early Action Applicants will be forthcoming shortly. Please watch the WiSH Portal for more information.”