Class of 2018 - Admissions Status

<p>Ās long as you can get into engineering, I am sure there is a chane for you to get into your desired major after your first year. I think at this time, you still have great chance to do so. Good luck to your application</p>

<p>@chempet - Have your friend check the admission letter. They may have a “Preference” noting Petroleum. That is not being admitted to Petroleum from what I understand. As I said it is new for next year and no one knows what the process is yet. (At least I don’t and no one I’ve talked to does.) Maybe if the student makes a certain GPA they will get admitted to their “Preference” for year 2. But starting out everyone goes to general engineering.</p>

<p>@kldat1 - you are right, just checked his admission letter and it does indeed mention Petroleum as a Preference (not as a major - major is listed as Engineering). Let us hope that they figure it out soon and explain to the prospective students properly.</p>

<p>Step 5!! It’s awesome!</p>

<p>Step 5 with two tabs?</p>

<p>On AIS, my Degree entry changed from “Bachelor of Science” to “Bachelors Degree - Unspecified” for my first choice. Still in Step 3. Does it mean that I will not get my first or second choice and I may not even get admission to “Bachelor of Science” degree/Engineering?</p>

<p>Hi we have the same problem. I am already admitted but my first choice changed to engineering(petrolem)bachelor"s degree-unspecified. I think that should be the same for all those applying for engineering</p>

<p>TAMU says all engineering students are general engineering for the first year. The system doesn’t seem to know exactly how to deal with it. We still have our preference, but the Degree shows unspecified. The Dean for Engineering made this change and students will be assigned specific majors once they survive a year.</p>

<p>A bit confused about the Preference. What is its significance in the whole process? Does it mean that if you survive a year, you will get your preferred major or does it mean that all engineering students are in the same pool and based on interest and first year ranks, the majors will be distributed. </p>

<p>If all the engineering students are in the same pool and the mjor is decided on first year ranks, then it is risky undertaking. You might end up getting a major which you do not want to do. Is taking a guaranteed major at another university a better choice?</p>

<p>This is what I’ve heard: engineering program has a HUGE expansion goal just announced this year. I’m guessing (yes, just guessing) that they will be modeling their program like the business school which is successfully running a general major of business then later you decide your preferred emphasis ( marketing, management, accounting, etc.) for your degree. For that program, you have a designated list of courses to complete with a minimum GPR to be admitted to the upper division business program. I know of no one who has been denied their major who has completed the required courses & GPR. However, there are several who ‘decide to pursue a different major’ usually code for ’ I didn’t make the cut’. Many engineering majors have several courses in common so the load can be spread (just like business), and it seems to work fine in that college. There are no limits in that department - you make the cut, you get your major. Hopefully you will have the same offer, but knowing the university has successfully done it in another competitive field might make you feel more assured.</p>

<p>Here’s the link to the expansion article [Texas</a> A&M announces initiative to increase engineering enrollment to 25,000 students | 23 | 01 | 2013 | News & Events | College of Engineering](<a href=“http://engineering.tamu.edu/news/2013/01/23/texas-am-announces-initiative-to-increase-engineering-enrollment-to-25-000-students]Texas”>http://engineering.tamu.edu/news/2013/01/23/texas-am-announces-initiative-to-increase-engineering-enrollment-to-25-000-students)</p>

<p>Hey guys, I have a quick question. On the AIS, it says everything has been processed except my class rank, which was included with my processed transcript. Is this because they haven’t received it, or have they just not put it in the system?</p>

<p>My transcript also has my class rank. My transcript was posted on AIS on 8/21 as ‘processed on 8/20’. Then later, a few days later, (might have been a week) the Class Rank was posted on AIS as ‘processed on 8/20’. Guess it takes a few days longer to update the AIS database for Class Rank, even though both the transcript and class rank are processed on the same date.</p>

<p>The way that engineering is working this year is that they will admit their incoming class into “Engineering - General”. They will have on their file their preference from when they applied for advisors to see come decision time. For some majors they will allow students to declare a major after a semester or a year or after some amount of time. This is being implemented in order to ensure that students are given the opportunity to see engineering for all that it has to offer instead of just narrowing their scope to whatever major they declared when they were seniors in high school. They are trying to cut down on the amount of students who switch out of engineering after their first year in school because they didn’t like their particular major. This initiative is allowing students to be introduced to engineering as a whole and make an educated decision as to what their concentration is going to be. So don’t worry if you are admitted to the general program, that’s what everyone is getting!</p>

<p>Thanks STEPDATA. Turns out my transcript didn’t have my rank (ranks weren’t updated when I sent my transcript).</p>

<p>Also, how quickly does Chemical Engineering fill? I’m starting to worry that I got my app in too late.</p>

<p>@sky360 - You should be good. It is still September. Plus with the General Engineering now you should make it in as long as you qualify for academic or auto admit.</p>

<p>Do not worry. A&M is processing the apps very fast.
My dates:
Applied: Sept 15, 10 pm
Transcript sent: Sept 16 from school
Transcript and other docs Processed: Sept 17
Class Rank Processed: Sept 18 (within 25% with ACT=31)
Accepted (5th tab appeared on AIS): Sept 24</p>

<p>Hello I’m in the top 13% with a 4.2 weighted GPA, and have ok EC’s and decent volunteer work. I’m Hispanic & a first generation college student. My SAT was 1110 (Out of 1600) and I want to major in computer science. Do I have a chance?</p>

<p>I just applied with an auto admin ( 2020 and 30) and was wondering how long it would take to hear back? Also what are we chances of getting into Mays Business School? Thanks and Gig em!</p>

<p>trentarm6, see post just 2 before your post. I think you should hear in about one week based on that post. As soon as you get your NetID, log on to AIS and follow your application. That is where you will be able to track the date applied, date processed, etc. and then you can log on to the Howdy portal and watch for the number of “tabs” to go to five tabs. When that happens, you can go ahead and apply for housing if you are so inclined. Housing requests will be assigned based on date of housing application. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>