Class of 2019 Decisions

Yeah I tried calling as well! But thanks good luck to you too!

I am trying to understand Binghamton’s reasoning for deferring to Spring semester. Why do they do this? It can’t be dorm space as they offer dorms to those accepted to the Binghamton Advantage program. Is it so they don’t include the lower GPAs or SAT/ACT scores for ranking purposes?

@nymom64, this is a common practice. Students graduate after the fall semester, study abroad in the spring, etc. It’s about filling seats and beds. Could this also inflate GPA’s and SAT’s the school reports? Sure.

Here’s a quote from Brandeis University as an example:

Midyear Admission

Each year about 10 percent of admitted students are placed in the “Midyear Class,” which begins in January. Students admitted to the Midyear Class can spend the fall semester months pursuing other activities and interests. Many use this time to work or travel; some take for-credit classes at a local college or university.

I understand the “seats” in classes though the seats vacated by students graduating and those studying abroad would probably not be in the classes being taken by incoming Freshman. The beds/dorms absolutely do not make sense to me as they are offering beds to students attending Broome Community College through the Binghamton Advantage program. Sorry if I seem a little cynical but Binghamton’s admission process has been puzzling at the very least.

I know that it’s frustrating, particularly for EA students who were deferred to regular admission and may have applied six months ago, but there are many schools announcing regular admission decisions tomorrow. I think the acceptances that have gone out with rolling admissions and the status checker has only made it more frustrating to those that haven’t heard yet.

Good luck tomorrow!

My son applied to Binghampton 10/1 and was deferred in January…I can’t believe they have not given him an answer…He could care less…I care!!! He was diligent in the fall to hand in all his applications by 10/1 and here we are 3/31 and no answer. My son has already committed to FSU but it would be nice to have a decision…can I get my application fee back? lol :slight_smile: good luck to everyone!!!

@NYIslekid, agreed! The way the EA applicants were treated was not right. I will be telling friends of future applicants that there is no advantage (and perhaps a disadvantage) by applying EA to Binghamton. My daughter too, has moved on to another school.

@Rickusmc12345‌ Hey, did you hear anything or see a change on your status yet?? I am a transfer student, still says “Complete ready for review” for me

@nymom64 good for your daughter!!! My son never wanted Binghamton we made him apply to one SUNY but he wanted a bigger school…he hated the location…his synopsis of his tour was very negative. The admissions process only backed up his initial thoughts about the school. Where is your daughter going?

Once again nothing in the mail today. Looks like I’m going to hear back at the latest time bing can possibly let me know. I should I figured this would happen.

Still cannot pay deposit and no mail… Expecting denial tomorrow :frowning:

Just checked my status checker…I was offered a spot in the Binghamton Advantage Program! I think it seems pretty good to be honest

waitlisted AGAIN!!! Two schools

My status checker officially updated to “Fall Wait List - Spring Offer”, looks like they updated the status checker.

Looks like they’ve updated the status checker. Daughter was Fall 2015 wait listed/Spring 2016 admittance. I’m a little baffled by this decision as she is attending community college for her senior year, Binghamton was not interested in her Fall semester grades, which one would think they would be.

Should she wait another semester to attend and continue at the community college, she would be entering Binghamton with around 62 credits (she has dual enrollment credits from HS Jr. year) which means she would be entering at the status of a college junior, definitely not the college experience she was looking for.

Checked status checker. Offered Advantage Program. not sure if I want to do it, seems annoying to have to take a 30-45 minute long bus to classes every day. but you can still live on campus I suppose

@binghamtonhopefl‌ student’s in the program are allowed cars on campus!

@emilymcg‌ oh wow, thanks! do you know anything more about it?

wondering if advantage students still get to choose their housing and live with “regular” BU students?

@binghamtonhopefl‌ yeah, I just got off the phone with admissions! Basically, we would be full Binghamton students, living on campus, Binghamton ID card, meal plans,able to joint clubs/sports teams on campus etc, just take the classes for 1 or 2 years at BCC. The way I see it, it’d be a handy way to get gen eds out of the way at a community college level, then transfer and focus on your major! :slight_smile: apparently, we can live in Delaware hall at newing, Windham hall at mountainview, and one of the CIW halls, too.