Class of 2020- Admission Status

My application status tab for my son’s major changed from Computer Science for the first choice to this:
1 Dwight Look College of Engr General Engineering BAC
Is it because he cannot declare his major yet to Computer Science until after the first semester? Do all incoming freshman engineering students fall into this category despite what specific field they indicate? Also for degree, what does BAC stand for?

BAC= Bachelor’s Degree. Yes, you’re correct everyone in Dwight Look gets the same major now initially, then apply after taking some classes to their specific majors- they have (I believe) up to two years to pick a specific major, although most try to select ASAP (which is after 1st semester).

Just got an email for an engineering campus trip and tour sort of thing for october from a&m. Hopefully this is a good sign.

Oh yea mine also changed from my preffered major which was petroleum engineering to now general engineering

@crazierussia You were so calm Sunday. Now we have really made you “crazie.”

My S has four tabs in Howdy now (auto admit to Mays). They were not there Monday morning which was the last time we looked.

I have 4 tabs on Howdy too! (academic admit to Mays) They were not there yesterday when I checked.

Our wait may be almost over :slight_smile:

My daughter has 4 tabs today, too! She is auto admit to Mays…

@gettingschooled yea i guess im a little excited now. My howdy has also changed to 4 tabs. Hopefully acceptances come in this thursday

“auto admit” only guarantees acceptance to the university, not to the college of one’s choice (i.e. Mays). This is why there still is a bit of uncertainty even for those who qualify for automatic admission.

I tend to worry a lot, but since A&M fills majors first come first serve, most people on this thread so far are pretty safe to get their major (auto or academic admits who applied in August). Looking through last year, people were still getting into Mays and Look after September. It will be interesting how long A&M is able to maintain the first come first serve approach with more and more people applying every year.

@txp0319 - Totally understand auto admit is only to the university. I guess my sentence should read “auto admit to Mays if there is space” I am just jumping the gun a little and assuming applying in August would probably guarantee that :slight_smile: Thanks for clarifying for everyone…

I’m with @inspiration12. I understand auto admit is only applies to university admission. I just am figuring that Mays would still have room this early in the game. Guess we’ll see by the end of this week!

@ItsOVO, what is an OOS auto-admit? I thought auto-admit was for Texas residents only.

Sorry, I meant academic admit if that clears things up. At least a 30 on the ACT, top 25% of your class, and you have to meet the State of Texas Uniform Admission policy. Applies to everyone

Under Howdy I see “Student” and “Applicant”, each with two tabs underneath them. Is this the 4 tabs everyone is talking about?

Yes. You probably are looking at Howdy on Safari because I noticed it looks a little different than on the computer. But, if you have a new “student” tab, you match the rest of us.

My son is an auto admit. Applied Aug 1st. He has 4 tabs on Howdy Portal, but they are “Home, Applicant, My Records, My Finances”. Are those the same tabs that you guys are seeing?

yes, they are! @goose21

For the Class of 2019, the tabs came up for those that had applied and were auto admits a day or two before the official notification of acceptance. No one knows if the tabs really have any significance, but we like to think so.

Most likely the letters will be sent out on Friday, thursday if were lucky.

Still nothing.

That leaves tomorrow as the only remaining day this week, a week that had previously been identified by Aggiebound as “decision week.” It stands to reason that unless the Aggiebound tweet was unauthorized, many of us should hear tomorrow.

Here is my hypothesis – by dragging this out, Admissions is increasing A&M’s appeal among undecided applicants, perhaps resulting in more students going there vs. “the other school.” It seems apparent that Admissions is trying to optimize the timing of the release, to maximize the impact (and yield) of their decisions. The strategy makes perfect sense from A&M’s perspective, but does cause some unnecessary anxiety at our level. Just to be clear: this is not a complaint, only an observation. If I were in charge on the other side, I would probably do the same thing!