Class of 2023 Nursing Admissions

DD denied for SDSU

Major: nursing
GPA: W 4.2 UW 3.9
SAT 1350
Eligibility Index 4673

But, she is fine…her first choice was Azusa Pacific, so she is going to be an APU Cougar!

Accepted: ASU, GCU, PLNU
Waitlisted: CSU Fullerton

Denied at SDSU. Disappointing and frustrating.
4.3/3.97
1380 SAT
31 ACT
CA resident

Accepted to Direct entry nursing at Villanova, Northeastern, TCU, USF, Seattle U, etc.

Update: D was denied to SDSU. Slightly shocked and surprised by that based on last year’s stats.

Daughter
SAT: 1380
ACT: 31
GPA: 4.0 / 4.36 (UC capped) / 4.67 (CSU capped)
State Residency: CA
Ethnicity: White
Other: Volunteering at local hospital, bi-lingual English/Spanish, 7 AP classes and lots of Honors classes, several club leadership positions, athletics and piano

Accepted:
Point Loma - pre nursing, ($15K merit)
Azusa Pacific - Direct, ($20K merit)
Sonoma State - pre nursing
CSU Long Beach - pre nursing
San Jose State - pre nursing

Applied:
UCLA - Direct
UC Irvine - Direct
USF - Direct

Waitlisted:
CSU Fullerton - Direct

Denied:
San Diego State - Direct

Congrats on your daughter’s decision to be a APU Cougar! @EngTchrMom

Sorry and thank you for updating / sharing your SDSU results EngTchrMom, sirmixalot and Bonchein. We look forward to see where your kids choose

Another update for USF. They sent a nice letter showing they actually read my D’s essay.

Daughter
SAT: 1370
ACT: 31
GPA: 4.0 / 4.36 (UC capped)
State Residency: CA
Ethnicity: White
Other: Volunteering at local hospital, bilingual English/Spanish, 7 AP classes and lots of Honors classes, several club leadership positions, athletics and piano

Accepted:
Point Loma - pre nursing ($15K merit)
Azusa Pacific - Direct ($20K merit + Honors college)
Sonoma State - pre nursing
CSU Long Beach - pre nursing
San Jose State - pre nursing
USF - Direct ($24K merit + Honors college)

Applied:
UCLA - Direct
UC Irvine - Direct

Waitlisted:
CSU Fullerton - Direct

Denied:
San Diego State - Direct

@Bonchein that is nice to hear. You want to know after all the effort the kids put into essays that someone out there is reading them and to hear they are reading them is positive but feedback is icing on the cake!

Currently deciding between majoring in nursing at Seton Hall or TCNJ. Does anyone have any advice/ insight into which has a better program?

@Bonchien If you’re considering USF you might look into a separate $20k 1-time scholarship they offer. I recall my D waited too long to apply for it last year. She also was offered honors and was given a top renewable scholarship but she missed out on the separate application for the 1-time $20k and she chose not to go there primarily due to cost of attendance.

More about the separate (not renewable) USF scholarship they offered last year. It’s the Getty Honors College Scholarship.

Last year my D was notified separately from the acceptance packet. The separate mailing said she’d been accepted into USF’s new Honors College. It listed a few bullet point benefits including completing an honors thesis or capstone project and graduating with honors distinction. It also has said she was eligible to apply to the Getty Honors College Scholarship.

It might be worthwhile to see if they still offer it.

@Banker1 Thanks for the info. D did get invited to apply for the Getty Honors College Scholarship. Her letter says the application is due by May 31st. Even if she got the extra honors scholarship, it would still be the highest priced college on her list.

Oops, I meant to say the USF honors scholarship application is due by March 31st.

Tcnj, Ramapo, Stockton and Rutgers are far and away the best nursing programs in the state right now with Ramapo and TCNJ leading the way. Why in the world would you pay thousands more to attend Seton Hall???

@band1234 Do you have any specific requirements for nursing school e.g. price, clinicals close, population of undergrads, NCLEX pass rates? Are you a NJ resident?
When I researched these schools and their nursing programs I found that:

Both are Direct Admit programs (TCNJ;s only requirement is to get in as a freshman) (Seton hall you must have bio and chemistry in HS)
Seton Hall was # 287 in Forbes and TCNJ was #149 in regular listing (not nursing specific)
Seton Hall had 5956 undergrads and 6787 undergrads approx so close in size
Seton Hall’s NCLEX pass rate was 80.9% and TCNJ was 94.6% (not sure what they are now)
I found through researching that Seton Hall had more out of state students and TCNJ was very heavily NJ residents
Seton Hall has their nursing students on the NEW Clifton and Nutley campus with the premeds since 9/18/18 but that is not where the regular campus is but is commutable. TCNJ has it on campus.
Seton Hall has a more expensive COA (but depending on scholarships or financial aid or instate tuition for TCNJ that could be different for different people)
HTH

@band1234 Congrats on TCNJ. D is still waiting to hear from TCNJ! She was accepted to Seton Hall but isnt attending, mostly due to cost and location of nursing program (not on regular campus). So far for her its between Ramapo & Stockton. Both gave her good merit $ and have strong nursing programs. She is also considering Jefferson (in Phila) as they have a strong nursing program as well and their financial aid award makes them just a bit higher than the NJ schools. Once she hears from the rest (TCNJ, Drexel), we will attend accepted students day and let her make a decision. Good luck on whatever you decide! Probably a good idea to go to accepted students day at both (but my vote would be TCNJ)

@debbdowner Thank you and good luck to ur D as well! I was also accepted to Ramapo, Stockton, and Drexel… I ruled out Drexel because of the cost. Ramapo was my second choice but I am committing to TCNJ bc of their high NCLEX rates

@band1234 congrats that’s so exciting! I don’t know anything about their nursing program but I know a lot of people who are really happy there and love the campus and academics!

Also something to consider for anyone still looking at UDel, I had thought based on information on the website that nursing students don’t start clinicals until their senior year, but they very recently changed it to start (I believe) sophomore year.

@band1234 Congrats on committing to TCNJ. Great choice

@readthetealeaves Thank you!!