Colleges offering scholarships to National Hispanic Scholars

<p>alright thanks</p>

<p>Do you have any updates as to what is available for freshman students entering in 2011? I just called the University of Alabama’s scholarship office and was informed the University discontinued its National Hispanic Scholarship. They now only offer the National Merit scholarships. This is new as of this year.</p>

<p>Booo!</p>

<p>(10 char)</p>

<p>What are the first steps for receiving offers from universities? Should you first contact the scholarships office by phone? Or begin with a regular application? My daughter is a NHS graduating 2011.</p>

<p>I haven’t had specific experience with the schools that offer NHRP scholarships, but for merit scholarships in general, you have to apply to the school (sometimes by a date earlier than the regular deadline) and if the website states that there’s an additional application or information needed for the scholarship, you need to provide that by a specified deadline too. </p>

<p>So the first step is to go to the website and read their information, call the scholarship or admissions office if anything is unclear. If you have specific schools that you’re interested in, list them here and I can walk you though a few if you like.</p>

<p>I did the original posting of all the schools. I found the information from the schools’ websites; conversations with finanicial aid or admission offices; and review of other school publications as well as posts here on college confidential. As earlier said; many schools require an earlier application deadline for awarding merit scholarships. Make a list of schools your child is interested in and then contact them to find out if they give money for NHS as well as the process for applying for the scholarship and admission.</p>

<p>Receiving a scholarship for NHS is wonderful but it takes work on the part of the student. For example my DS was accepted to University of Arizona but his award letter did not include an award of 100K for NHS. He contacted the school and learned they did not have him listed as NHS so he had to send them his information. Also be on the lookout for mailings and emails from schools which discuss awards for NHS. It is easy to have them get lost in the pile of mail your child will receive this fall from schools.</p>

<p>Good luck.
p.S. my comma button has decide not to work so sorry for the weird grammar.</p>

<p>I’ve heard conflicting answers on Southern Cal’s scholarships for NH Scholars. Does anyone know whether they still award half tuition for NHS?</p>

<p>Re USC. Best to call and try to get an answer. When son was applying 6 yrs ago. The best answer I got from them was they looked at each student. So it was case by case. I cannot remember exactly what was said but it was something like not all NHS were equal and some were possibly not up to USC standards. But if they didn’t think student worhy- why would they accept them. Son had some great options but chose his best bet which was a LAC. – finishing up masters --time flies.<br>
Good luck.</p>

<p>I e-mailed the admission office and got the following reply about whether they award 1/2 tuition scholarships to NHS:</p>

<p>“We only award the Presidential scholarship to National Merit finalist.”</p>

<p>Hopefully there are lesser awards available for DS who is NHS and National Merit Commended, since he loves USC…</p>

<p>Does anyone know if any colleges offer scholarships to people who did not make scholar but just HM or Finalist?</p>

<p>I don’t think there is anything other than Scholar. You qualify based upon PSAT, then GC sends in confirmation of a GPA above 3.5. It’s all or nothing, unlike the NMS.</p>

<p>Yes there is because i qualified for it, i received my letter form collegeboard telling my i made Honorable Mention.</p>

<p>Most colleges just use the name of the program so im not sure if they mean scholar or Honorable mention also</p>

<p>The NHRP website states as one requirement for eligibility:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I believe that below 3.5 gpa gets HM and 3.5 and above Scholar/Finalist designation.</p>

<p>am, I would recommend calling any schools you’re interested in and find out what their definition of NHRP designation is.</p>

<p>I spoke to University of Alabama this past week and was advised to look the Presidential Scholarship - Was informed that most NHS would qualify for this.</p>

<p>I had an opportunity to chat with the Bama regional representative at a college fair today about the fact that they no longer gave scholarships to NHRP students. He said it might resurface at a later time and indicated that there were some problems collecting data and tracking records. A crowd was building and I did not get an opportunity to probe what that meant. I did remind him that the school “down the road” (Auburn) still had a nice package for NHRP in place.</p>

<p>Is Auburn’s (gratuitous) NHRP scholarship package automatically offered to any applicant who is a NHS? Or does it require an additional application?</p>

<p>Auburn is my younger sister’s first choice, and a full ride to Auburn would greatly help my family financially.</p>

<p>PioneerJones</p>

<p>Here is the link: [National</a> Scholars](<a href=“http://www.auburn.edu/scholarship/national-scholars.html]National”>http://www.auburn.edu/scholarship/national-scholars.html)</p>

<p>It says it is automatic in the first sentence of the above link but further down the page it says NHRP must have a 3.5 and a 1330 SAt score. It is my understanding that to be a NHRP scholar you have to have a 3.5 and if you get a high enough score on the PSAT you should then be able to pull a 1330 SAT (this is for CR and Math sections only) so that shouldn’t be a problem.</p>

<p>Auburn is extremely generous and that scholarship is a great deal. Good luck to your sister. See if Auburn offers any travel funds for visiting too.</p>

<p>My S recently received a letter from the University of South Carolina. According to their web site, National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholars can receive a Lieber Scholarship for up to $6,000 annually, and students who are out of state and receive this award qualify for in-state tuition. </p>

<p>Here is the web site</p>

<p>[Academic</a> Scholarships](<a href=“Scholarships - Financial Aid and Scholarships | University of South Carolina”>Scholarships - Financial Aid and Scholarships | University of South Carolina)</p>

<p>Boston University will consider a 1/2 tuition scholarship for NHRP Scholars. A copy of the selection certificate from the College Board must be sent in separately to the Admissions Office Scholarship Coordinator.</p>

<p>My S’s experience last year seemed to demonstrate that even if you don’t meet all the criteria (like GPA) for a particular scholarship, the NHS designation appeared to really help with other merit scholarships. It brought him to the attention of the minority affairs and recruiting offices and he did get some offers despite a 3.4 UW GPA. He did get merit aid at almost every school he applied to and I think the NHS must have factored in as a reason to attract him even if he didn’t get the scholarship tied to the designation. These schools love to say how many national merit scholars and NHS they have so they seem to be willing to offer some sugar to these students. Some of the art schools he applied to offered money, in part, for his designation – MICA and RIT specifically said so–trust me that scholarships at private art schools are pretty slim so if you are a NHS interested in art or film programs, this can be a big help.</p>