Current Freshman at Purdue - Got Questions About Purdue except Admissions?

<p>okay then:)</p>

<p>Honestly most of the questions I am getting are repeats to previous questions on this VERY thread. You can get the answers most likely if you search the thread beforehand. The dorm questions are getting old, I answered them in detail maybe two times already on this thread. The weather is on it also. </p>

<p>To the question of asians on campus, if you don't like diversity then stay away from them. The asians usually stick with their friends that are usually asians also and the group is probably all fobs(fresh off the boat/international students). I'm asian myself and honestly if your scared of a small percentage # of asians then go $*#& yourself since all good schools have asians.</p>

<p>gotdance, I can't exactly answer that question. Your dorm preference is basically your preference. You should find a campus map online and see where the dorms are to the buildings. Freshmen year, you have more classes in buildings as CL50, Lily, Heavilion, Physics, Chem Eng. so it doesn't matter. Maybe until your a soph.+ then the distance from your dorm to the building of your respective major may matter but not freshmen year. Your dorm preference for freshmen year basically is up to how far you want to be from campus, co-rec, certain dining courts, ross ade/mackey, tarkmart/mini store @ windsor.</p>

<p>along with that your dorm preference will also be considering if you want to live in an all-male/female dorm or co-ed, room size, A/C or no A/C, etc.</p>

<p>Thank you, Jimgotkp
But if I live in the dorm without A/c(Air conditioner), will it be very uncomfortable in those snowy winter</p>

<p>What is A/C to deal with snow winters. You use heating not air conditioning during the winters.</p>

<p>I have two questions.
1. What is Purdue's policy for overnight guests?
2. Whats the best thing about purdue?</p>

<p>Another question.
Purdue's library is not 24 hours, where will students stay when they have to do work at night. Will it be quiet?
What about Purdue's computer. I heard it's slowly and rare.
Any idea about that?
Thanks</p>

<p>Hey Jimgotkp,</p>

<p>Im an Australian currently studying a Bachelor of Aviation at uni in australia. I'm going to Purdue for Spring Semester next year and i was just after some advice:
Where would you recommend for accomodation?
Is the experience worth it? etc</p>

<p>I have no idea what to expect, obviously being from Australia where the culture differs immensely. </p>

<p>Cheers,
ozzi</p>

<p>I'm planning to stay off-campus.
So, does anyone out there (or currently studying in Purdue) knows which apartment has the best price and quality of living?
Can anyone recommend any off-campus apartment that is located on campus?</p>

<p>thanks.</p>

<p>OSUBucksFan:
1. What is Purdue's policy for overnight guests?
Okay so you can basically have guests over anyday all you have to do is "check them in" to the main office I believe. If he drove then you can get them a temp. 24 hour parking permit that costs like 20 bucks or something. You have to also respect the "quiet time" which is like past 11pm or something on weekdays and 12am on weekend. What I did was just have my friends over anyday at anytime and go to the entrance where the night attendant didn't work and swipe me and my friend in. Every dorm has a couple of side entrances so yeah.</p>

<ol>
<li>Whats the best thing about purdue?
I think it differs for everyone. But for me it's the environment, athletics, activities, greek life, and food. haha</li>
</ol>

<p>keryar:
Purdue's library is not 24 hours, where will students stay when they have to do work at night. Will it be quiet?What about Purdue's computer. I heard it's slowly and rare.
Any idea about that?</p>

<p>Purdue libraries aren't 24 hours until dead week I believe or the week before that. I don't know where students go since every student is different and I don't follow them. But if you live in your dorms you can go to the dorm's study rooms they have. If you live off-campus then I guess your room in the apartment? You can probably study at your friends place if you and your friend are in the same class also. I'm sure other buildings like Lawson that have a lounge will be open 24.7. It is true that Purdue's computers are slow and it takes awhile to start up. Usually you use those computers if you don't carry your labtop or don't have a specific program that you need but don't have it on your labtop. Unless you want to carry your own labtop then theres a solution to the slowness of Purdue's computers.</p>

<p>Ozzi:</p>

<p>Where would you recommend for accomodation?
If you want to be on the safer side you should apply for on-campus housing in the dormitories. If you plan on having a car while your here then off-campus would be better. You need a car when your off-campus cause you have to buy stuff and drive to wal-mart or other places that are quite far from campus in terms of biking and walking. </p>

<p>Is the experience worth it? etc
I love Purdue and I'm sure the experience would be worth it for you also. Just try to take advantage of all the activities that are out there. There's alot of sports you can do in terms of intramural during the spring. Make some friends and enjoy the partying wherever you go from houses to fraternity houses. The more you take advantage of then the more better chance you will have of college life here.</p>

<p>isabelle:</p>

<p>So, does anyone out there (or currently studying in Purdue) knows which apartment has the best price and quality of living?Can anyone recommend any off-campus apartment that is located on campus?</p>

<p>If you are talking in terms of single rooms/studios then I think that would go to College Station. The price is lower then those of other apartments near campus as the Wabash Landing Apartments which cost like $950+ for a single there. If your talking about having roommates/subleasers then College Station/Campus Suites/McCormick Apartment are nice. The apartments located on campus are usually full like probably right now. Those apartments are usually smaller and old but since of its location it sells out fast. All I can say is go to websites like <a href="http://www.boilerapartments%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.boilerapartments&lt;/a> and whenever you have time look at the apartments and floorplans and price and try to get the contract asap before summer starts. Cause you got current students and the new students coming in that will be looking for the same apartments as you.</p>

<p>Do you have any Asian food on Campus?</p>

<p>Popita I would suggest you go to the website and check out dining hall information. If I'm correct there is one place that serves make your own stir fry but that is probably the closest you would get in the way of cafeteria food. Outside of that somebody earlier asked a similar question and somebody said that there is an Asian food store close to campus.</p>

<p>What's the reputation of the College of Technology at Purdue? Is it in the same league as the CS Department? I'm thinking about applying to Purdue next year to be an IT major, or something along those lines, but I want to know the reputation of it all first. </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Popita,</p>

<p>Earhart Dining Court has a make your own stir fry everyday that Earhart Dining Court is open and both lunch and dinner. During the weekends though they have shrimp inwhich you can put into your stir fry. </p>

<p>There are two asian food stores. One is called "Asia" which is off Northwestern Ave and Yeager(going towards 52S) and theres another on 52 past walmart on the left side in a plaza with Monicals Pizza and some other stores. The one past walmart is more of a korean food store. If you want asian food there are multiple places in Lafayette like Bea One for Korean and stuff.</p>

<p>Feverlax,</p>

<p>I'm not sure about how good the College of Tech. is but in terms of CS/CIT majors I heard that it's good. You should research the College of Tech on their website and stuff and see what others say on other sites.</p>

<p>Oh yeah popita I forgot, they have chinese food thats more americanized like sesame chicken in Earhart and Ford.</p>