Current Freshman at Purdue - Got Questions About Purdue except Admissions?

<p>Thanks, Jimgotkp! That helps me a lot. I really want to go to visit Purdue right now. It would be nice if I come to look at the campus by myself.</p>

<p>Hey, I was wondering do the bars accept fake ids or what?</p>

<p>Whats the rock/metal scene like, if at all there is one, on campus/West Lafayette?</p>

<p>College8. From what I hear... the bouncers at the bars arent stupid. You never know... </p>

<p>and to kaizad I have no clue.</p>

<p>can you tell me anything about cars? when are you allowed to have them on campus and how much will it cost to keep it there?</p>

<p>Ok - here's a really simple one (I think) but I can't for the life of me figure it out.
What is the difference between Purdue and IUPUI?</p>

<p>IUPUI is a joint-campus between Indiana University and Purdue University, but is administered by IU. It is located in Indianapolis, whereas Purdue is in West Lafayette - about an hour away.</p>

<p>Okay, I'm done with posting on CC. Had enough with people *****ing. Sorry everyone but look at the older posts on this thread for the past info. It seems to be that people don't want to spend the time and look at older posts that answer their questions. Rather then having to wait for a person to respond, for the love of god just search for it using the "search" button on the tab where it also has "control panel". adios.</p>

<p>if anyone has anymore questions i can answer them, well im a freshman so maybe not but I can answer a lot about life in west lafayatte, btw I am a engineering major from new jersey</p>

<p>Yo.</p>

<p>I’m thinking of transferring to purdue for fall of 2010 (IE Major). Being an international student, I have no idea how Indiana is like. How’s the city? Are there a lot of restaurants, bars, stores, whatnot near the campus? How are you liking engineering there so far?</p>

<p>Btw, how long is it to get to Chicago? (By car or by train :P)</p>

<p>there’s a street full of bars. restaurant wise you’d prob have to take the bus or have friends drive to lafayette for any real restaurants. if you don’t have a car it’ll be hard for you to really do much off campus unless you can find friends cuz the bus is a hassle. engineering is tough but IE is the easiest out of them. 2.5 hours to chicago by car…not sure about train.</p>

<ol>
<li>What’s there to do around Purdue (off campus)? Do people go anywhere on the weekend?</li>
<li>Are the compliment guys still at Purdue? If yes, how are they doing?</li>
</ol>

<p>Well off-campus wise theres not that much to really do in the West Lafayette vicinity, however theres the Tippecanoe Mall, movies, restaurants in Lafayette, places to walk around like the pedestrian bridge next to the downtown Hilton(levee). Most people if they go anywhere on weekends go back home, Chicago, Indy. Theres the Verizon Center nearby Indy which has some great concerts which quite a few people go to. Chicago also has a few popular venues. However, it seems most people really just stay on-campus during the weekends either party, workout, study, hang out with their friends. </p>

<p>I’m not sure if the compliment guys are still there but I’m sure they are since I believe they haven’t graduated yet.</p>

<p>Might as well re-open this thread since I visit CC more often now. Fire away.</p>

<p>haha, thanks Jimgotkp for reopening the thread, hope u don’t get #$%& again…</p>

<p>No problem. I don’t go here anymore but I still know the school pretty darn well and I connect with my friends over there still so yeah. I can give pretty good info. regarding the school stuff and all. I don’t care if I get crap now whatever… Just for the best interests of the people who want to go to Purdue and know more about it</p>

<p>lol…why would people give you crap?</p>

<p>Jim,</p>

<p>How’s course availability for engineering students? Purdue doesn’t put you directly into a program, and you have to take a certain mix of general engineering courses getting decent grades before you can apply to get into a particular specialty. Given that a 4 year undergrad career is what everyone would like, are there any bottlenecks you can see that might cause a student to have trouble graduating “on time” due to a course simply not being available, or a glut of people applying to a given program with only a limited amount of slots available?</p>

<p>Have you got any registration tips? I understand that getting into honors might give you an edge in registration for example, since they get earlier registration times, etc.</p>

<p>Well, I’m not sure how course availability would be for engineering students. However, I can tell you about course availability generally. During your freshman year you will neve face any course availability problems since they are all general education classes or introduction to ______ classes and each college makes sure a lot of sections would be available for these classes. However, I have heard from some of my friends that some courses get full by the time they want to register for them since only one or two sections are available during their sophomore year.</p>

<p>However, I wouldn’t be afraid of not being able to not take that one class in the semester. The school will most likely offer it again the following semester and it will just be a swap with another class that you may have written on your Plan of Study the following semester. The only real problem that gets people to not graduate in four years is their GPA and them not passing a course which is a prerequisite to the class after it or them just not wanting to graduate in four years. </p>

<p>For registration tips, I’m not sure of Honors students get a faster registration time compared to others in your classification. However, if I were you and you wanted a kickass schedule every semester. I would look at the course catalog for that semester you are registering for and find the classes you plan on taking that semester. Write down the course number, time and date that its available for every section. Then make a 5x9 box or something and fill in the boxes with the information you have like a few days before your registration time. Also, have a backup to every class time on the paper since sometimes the class you may have written may be full. This pretty much made me have a killer schedule during my two semester there. Also, the day you get to register along with the time your most likely going to see the MyPurdue crash since so many kids try to register at that start time of 7am. So just take an extra few minutes to sleep like ten minutes lol and go on your computer with your schedule all set. You will have your course numbers on the paper so just fill in the blanks for classes you want to register and you’d be done fast. While you finish others who started the same time may be looking for the time slots they want so basically you will register for the better time slots before they might even come to it. So yeah :slight_smile: Thank god I don’t have to face the big group of people that read this now since I don’t go to Purdue anymore :P</p>

<p>Damn, should have just PM’d me then</p>