Expedia problems! - Spring 2014 Graduation

<p>Just found out that the Spring 2014 Graduation schedule is different than we planned and wanted to stay an extra night, so called the hotel that was booked/confirmed/prepaid through Expedia on 5/25/13 and guess what… No record of our reservations (2 king rooms)!!!</p>

<p>Fortunately was able to book directly through the hotel and get the extra night. Called Expedia and complained and cancelled my reservation. The funny thing is that I called the hotel back after talking to Expedia and they showed a cancellation for 2 double rooms, but no original reservation! </p>

<p>My story has a happy ending (pending my Expedia refund), but thought anyone that booked through Expedia for graduation might want to verify with the hotel directly.</p>

<p>Here is the Spring 2014 graduation for those that are interested:</p>

<p>[Spring</a> 2014 Commencement Event Schedule | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/degrees/commencement/general-information/spring-2014-commencement-event-schedule/]Spring”>http://registrar.ua.edu/degrees/commencement/general-information/spring-2014-commencement-event-schedule/)</p>

<p>how is the schedule different than you planned?</p>

<p>Business and Engineering graduating on Saturday instead of on Friday night. I believe the past couple of years has had Business and Engineering graduating on Friday night.</p>

<p>ok thanks. i reserved for thursday - sunday (not knowing which day would be our day), thinking i would drop one of the days, but i am now wondering if we should just use them all after all.</p>

<p>Oh, really, engineering graduates on Saturday in the Spring? Thanks for the heads up!</p>

<p>MikeWozowski…you were smart to book all nights. Our DD and her friends want to have a big party after all graduations are finished, so that is why we extended for another night.</p>

<p>This isn’t the first Expedia problem to be posted this semester: </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1557509-lsu-game-dilemma-advice-needed.html?highlight=expedia[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1557509-lsu-game-dilemma-advice-needed.html?highlight=expedia&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I don’t think I’ll use them after seeing both of these.</p>

<p>Peachtide, do you mind telling us what hotel? If it’s same as in the other thread, I am wondering if it’s an Expedia issue or the hotel issue.</p>

<p>Good thought, Class2012Mom. I would be interested to know also. We too have been recently burned by an Expedia booking. Ours was the hotel refusing to honor the reservation because more money could be made than what we had originally booked for.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>After being burned a few years ago (either Expedia or Hotels.com) for a football weekend, I haven’t used them. Luckily, we were able to stay at our son’s apt.</p>

<p>The problem seems to be that a “low rate” is reserved, but the hotels won’t honor them because they’re really charging a LOT more.</p>

<p>It has not detoured us from being there this coming weekend for the LSU game. We will be staying an hour outside of town for a fraction of the cost. Might be a rough commute back to the hotel after the game, but YOLO! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>It is the LaQuinta. Definitely not our first choice of places to stay, but even booking a year in advance hotels were hard to find for the Friday night of graduation. LaQuinta was really good about it, so I don’t believe it was their fault, especially when she told me about Expedia canceling a non-existent reservation.</p>

<p>I believe the hotel from the other thread was the Yellowhammer.</p>

<p>STLMom, I was wondering how you resolved your situation. </p>

<p>Peachtide, did you try calling the Microtel? I know another mom was able to make a reservation for graduation weekend when we were there for family weekend.</p>

<p>When can we start to book 2015 graduation (fingers crossed :slight_smile: ) What hotel is closest to campus besides the Capstone?</p>

<p>typically you can book a year in advance, but i think some of us booked a little further out than that (12.5/13 months).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Use 'em, Mike. We’ll need recovery time. :)</p>

<p>yeah, i think that’s a good call! :)</p>

<p>We could not get rooms in T-Town, so we stayed in Bessemer. Nice hotel, and we were 30 minutes closer to the airport. We had to fly back that Sunday morning, as my younger son started AP Exams that following week. So if you do not mind a little drive, consider staying out of T-Town.</p>

<p>Microtel on Veteran’s has no availability. We have done the B’ham thing numerous times, but too many factors this trip so require a Tuscaloosa location - elderly grandparents, moving 2 kids out of apartment/dorm, Saturday evening party, etc. We will be fine in the LaQuinta for this trip. At least we will get a king size bed!</p>

<p>The Greystone Inn has availability in May. Not too far from Tuscaloosa. I know Sea_Tide and Malanai have stayed there. </p>

<p>Greystone Inn & Suites<br>
11170 Will Walker Road<br>
Vance, AL 35490
Phone 205-556-3606</p>