Fall 2011 Applicants - Any Decisions Yet?

<p>It can be difficult to get into the School of Education- they limit the number of students to those they have room for in the education classes, not only the UW gpa but an essay and other criteria are used. </p>

<p>The good news is that you can freely change your mind about your major and know the students in all of your freshman classes have met similar standards. Some intended majors do require extra work such as music auditions or art portfolios to be admitted to the major as freshmen- not being admitted to the major does not ban you from being accepted to UW nor does having stellar art/music credentials get you admitted to UW without being as good as the rest of the students in other areas. Business and engineering students require some L&S courses and then compete for majors in their field. All majors require a minimum gpa, some can accomodate large numbers. They limit numbers in some majors to ensure that those in the major can get the courses they need. Think suppply and demand- there are only so many expensive lab facilities available for certain engineering courses and many want them so the required gpa will be much higher than the minimum required due to competition. Also consider that you are not shut out of any major based on your HS record or interest in a field as a freshman. As soon as you become a UW student your HS record will become ancient history (do continue to learn as much as you can senior year of HS- you will enter with a better knowledge base). </p>

<p>Decades ago there were state teachers colleges which morphed into the Wis State U system (at least one combined with an engineering school- Platteville), which was then combined with the UW system in the early 1970’s- likely saving administrative costs.</p>

<p>Never assume certain majors are more difficult than others. Those with math abilities may flounder in a heavy writing required course. Who can say math skills trump verbal skills? They are different types of intelligence.</p>

<p>Has anyone who has Bobbie Jean St. Arnauld as a counselor gotten their application reviewed yet? D got her materials submitted mid Oct but not convinced that they go through these based on date submitted or any other logical process for that matter. Just sit tight and wait right?</p>

<p>D has Bobbie Jean St. Arnauld - everything submitted by 9/2/10; no news yet, no status change. waiting…waiting…waiting…</p>

<p>S also has Bobbie Jean. No change in status. No answer to an email requesting info if application was complete. S’s stats are ACT 32, GPA 4.0, many EC incl varsity athletics for 4 yrs. Just waiting.</p>

<p>I have Bobbie Jean St. Arnauld as well. I’m assuming that since counselors are assigned by region, she is responsible for my whole school. No one has received a decision as of yet.</p>

<p>My message just changed to “Your application is being reviewed by one of our admission counselors.” </p>

<p>Counselor: Emily Henken
Application Date: 10/12
School Forms: 11/3</p>

<p>I got accepted today too. I ca’t wait for Fall. On Wisconsin, and go Badgers.</p>

<p>i guess we’ll never figure out the system. My D’s counselor is Emily as well and everything is marked received 9/25, but has yet to see any status change other than they are making sure all required materials are there…maybe Emily has them arranged by State or some other category, but if status is true, my D’s application has not even made it to Emily’s desk yet…perhaps wishful thinking on my part that it could be in Emily’s pile and that her status just hasn’t been updated</p>

<p>MY God. Everyone will get an answer in due time. I would not waste much energy trying to figure out why so and so was reviewed first. I’d bet every admissions person has the freedom to go through their pile however they like so long as they hit the deadlines.
Congrats redhawks. Relax everyone else.</p>

<p>Original-what’s your SOAR status say?</p>

<p>Your application is still under review. The SOAR program is limited to admitted students only.</p>

<p>Our D’s soar message just changed this evening to: The SOAR Program is not currently accepting reservations for your admit term. Hopefully a decision is only a day or two away.</p>

<p>fishnschool: who is your counselor, what state are you from and prior to seeing this message when was the last time you checked your status?</p>

<p>just thought I’d drop by and say, all this activity is totally making me look forward to January/February when I get to experience the jitters…</p>

<p>dogsr: The prior soar message at 4pm today was “Your application is still under review. The SOAR program is limited to admitted students only.” </p>

<p>Wisconsin resident
Counselor is Jenny B. (post #235)</p>

<p>We’re predicting a decision by this Friday morning based on the information that others have posted.</p>

<p>I was accepted and my counselor was Bobby St Jean. I’m sure you’ll get your response in due time</p>

<p>spitfire- i am in the same exact boat as you- same counslor and my status has been the same thing too and everything was submited by 9/13</p>

<p>it’s not a fun boat, but i’m glad to have company…i’m actually the mom, my daughter refuses to go on CC and let it drive her crazy</p>

<p>This anticipation is fun and exciting in a nerve-wracking kind of way - all part of the process. </p>

<p>Barrons - don’t rain on our anticipation parade! :)</p>

<p>fishnschool… did you D’s status change to "Your application is being reviewed by one of our admission counselors. Check back here for updates on your application status. " Prior to your SOAR status change, and if so when? My D’s satus just changed to the “Your application is being reviewed…” this morning.</p>