Fall 2011 Applicants - Any Decisions Yet?

<p>YAY!! I am so happy for you and your son ourvan :)</p>

<p>Oh, and I forgot to mention that although his SOAR status changed on Tuesday night, his other message never changed from the “we’re making sure we have everything we need” verbiage. It never showed that an admission counselor was reviewing it, and as a matter of fact, his assigned counselor showed “vacant position”.<br>
Maybe that helps those of you who are worried that no one is looking…</p>

<p>Has anyone with Bobbie Jean St. Arnauld received a decision yet? Sorry if I missed a previous post.</p>

<p>Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and “hang in there” to those who were defered.</p>

<p>D had Bobbie Jean St. Arnauld - received admission decision online on Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>I found out that I was accepted yesterday morning!!</p>

<p>Wisconsin Resident
Counselor: Gia Euler
Transcripts recieved: 10/16
27 ACT
3.7 GPA
Private School
Extracurriculars: Irish Dance, Cross Country, French Club, History Club
Many service hours
1 Letter of Recommendation
5 APS</p>

<p>Thankful that the wait is over =)</p>

<p>Has anyone with Sheri Lunde heard anything?</p>

<p>First - Congrats to all those who have been accepted. And my sincere sympathy for those that have been postponed and have to wait again.
We are STILL waiting here. Application has been complete since 9/24. Status has been being reviewed by a counselor since 11/16. Wisconsin says they have rolling admissions which would imply that the sooner your application is complete the sooner you will receive a decision, clearly this is not at all the case, as people with far later complete dates have already received decisions. The waiting is becoming increasingly difficult, especially since many friends are starting to hear from their ED schools. Wisconsin is my D’s first choice. Feeling frustrated and powerless. Are others feeling the same way?</p>

<p>I was admitted this morning!!! Here are my stats:</p>

<p>OOS: New Jersey
Counselor: Emily
My app was complete around 10/6
35 ACT
3.8 GPA
Public School
Extracurriculars: Volunteer EMT (administrative officer of my local squad), basketball (captain), soccer, french club (officer), girls club, science league
National Honors Society & National French Honors Society
1 Letter of Recommendation
2 APs junior year (5 on APUSH & Bio), 5 senior year</p>

<p>YAY!</p>

<p>congrats…gotta love EMILY, our NJ counselor…did you apply elsewhere or was WISC your #1?</p>

<p>My daughter had everything in within a week of when applications opened last year. She had a 29 ACT and 4.1 weighted GPA, great ECs, and what she thought was a good essay (who knows, essays are tricky and subjective). And, a long line of legacy, from grandfather, father, aunts, uncles, cousins… Her status changed to Application is being reviewed by a counselor in late September, early October. She waited and waited until she finally contacted her admissions counselor in November to make sure that there wasn’t a problem. No problems, just another month of waiting. She received the rejection letter the week before Christmas. </p>

<p>Wisconsin was her first choice and she was devastated. I was furious that they made her wait for months and then decided to send out the rejection letter a few days before Christmas. COLD! The good news is that she is now attending another Big 10 school that she absolutely loves and can’t imagine being anywhere else. Madison is a good school but it’s not the be all, end all. If your child doesn’t get an acceptance let him/her go through the mourning process but then take them to look at other schools soon after. They will get over it and might discover that their second or third choice school should have been their first all along.</p>

<p>Do they let you know if you are rejected on the UW staus site?</p>

<p>@spitfire45 </p>

<p>I applied ED to another school, but in the likely event that I do not get in, I will visit Wisconsin and go from there.</p>

<p>I have been on this site in the past and have never felt compelled to join the conversation…until I read the comment from lovemykids.</p>

<p>My D applied (complete on 10/1, 30 on ACT, 3.9 UW, great LR’s and essays, good EC’s) but has not heard yet. She received the “counselor” statement before Thanksgiving. Going through this process with UW has left me wondering what it would be like if she actually were to attend. It seems that they are very weak at communicating with the kids and parents. I am surprised to see this from a renowned school. One example is how the student center does not say “your file is complete” once all materials have been received (it is under review for completion for weeks or months after everything was submitted, which I’m sure spurs many unnecessary phone calls to the admissions office). Obviously they are facing staffing changes, but a resource-rich university can surely come up with a better system than this. I am feeling like they are making this a much more frustrating process than it needs to be.</p>

<p>My D has been accepted to 3 other schools (all by first week of November). All three did a great job with the application process. Two of those have been showing the love for over 6 weeks now (including scholarships). The effort of those schools has left me feeling like she would not just be a number if she attends one of them. If she is accepted and chooses UW then I would be fine with her choice. I have lived in Wisconsin for 15 years - grew up in Colorado and lived in Michigan for 8 years. Since I didn’t grow up here, I’m not as caught up in the hype for UW. I see kids posting that they have ACT scores of 33-35 and wonder why they are not looking at schools that are even more competitive. Maybe they are. There are soooo many great schools and making extended visits to those may make kids and parents realize that UW is just one of many good options.</p>

<p>I would like to hear from current UW parents to know if the communication process improves once kids are admitted. I have a couple of friends who have kids at both UW and Minnesota, and their experience with Minnesota has been better than UW as a whole.</p>

<p>dnf4iwu - My daughter’s admissions counselor was new when she went through the process as they had lost the previous one prior to the opening date of applications. It did feel impersonal and the process was frustrating. I feel your pain!</p>

<p>My daughter was accepted to all of the other schools (6) that she applied to before she was rejected from WI. She received merit scholarships to two of them. She wasn’t the only one out of her classmates who was rejected and their were some with stellar stats. Madison is selective, no doubt, so she knew that she had just as much chance of being rejected than the next person. Her initial hurt came from the long waiting and the lousy, if not cruel timing of the rejection. However, she dusted herself off and is now a happy college freshman at a fantastic school with great academics and superior academic advising. It all worked out for the best. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes. But atleast for me, it didn’t change until well after I got the rejection in the mail.</p>

<p>Loonlake, I see you go to Indiana. How do you like it there? My son wants to apply there. He has some good friend who are business majors who go there but he is pre-med.</p>

<p>Congrats Spitfire. Was pleased to hear of the news and have your patience rewarded.</p>

<p>DNF4 - I agree. UW parent here. Their communication can be a little spotty. Not defending it at all and can certainly understand your feelings. Also, once a student has been admitted, I do think that different colleges (CALS, Engineering, etc) do a better job at communicating. We’re also from MN and know a number of kids/parents at the U of MN and know that they sometimes drop the ball too. You’re right, these state flagships can do better.</p>

<p>In any event, best of luck to your D. Hopes she gets in and is happy once she does.</p>

<p>Hey dnf4. Agree with BigTenPadre on the sporadic communication at times. D2 is a sophomore but don’t really remember that much weirdness in admissions, moreso for orientation though. But…the website has been re-designed since then & things seem to be much better.</p>

<p>I will say that even after enrollment, a LOT of it comes down to the attentiveness of the advisor. UW-Madison encourages multiple advisors (esp. for dual majors or dual degrees) and out of the three that D2 has had so far, only one is worth a hoot, really making a great connection with my daughter, and I’m confident now she’s in good hands. The others don’t return EMails promptly, even on time-sensitive issues. This is crucial when choosing classes because with the cumbersome online system of figuring out what classes count for what requirement, one can only guess at times. So far my D hasn’t made a wrong move, but she has had to be ultra-careful.</p>

<p>Bottom line, though, is that UW-Madison is a wonderful place to spend your collegiate years but very challenging in the coursework as well as unlocking their bureaucratic code.</p>

<p>Another day, another dollar…but what & where is my decision?</p>