Fall 2011 Applicants - Any Decisions Yet?

<p>Has everyone heard yet? How are all you postponements holding up?</p>

<p>I think they start working on the pile filed after the early review group through Feb 1. Then they go back to the deferred group to fill out the class.</p>

<p>Barrons, has the admissions office released any numbers on applicants this year relative to previous years? It does seem like there have been fewer acceptances to students from my child’s school this year, compared to last year. I’m guessing increased applications have raised the acceptance bar. (BTW, thanks for your contributions to this board.)</p>

<p>No, they have not even done last year’s numbers. :frowning: Have heard they are up in the 10% range but they are still coming in so it could be more applied early too.</p>

<p>Those of you that have already heard…how long did it take them to update your MyUW application checklist once you sent in your transcripts, test scores, etc etc…did it take weeks or just a few days?</p>

<p>It’s funny actually. My status never got updated until I got my postponement.</p>

<p>Thanks…mine says transcripts not received but I sent them awhile ago…did yours say incomplete the whole time or was it something else?</p>

<p>All of my materials were listed as complete but my status said that documents that I’ve sent will be reviewed to check that they got everything they need.</p>

<p>The date that each of the items was received took maybe a week or so to update. If it’s been more than 2 or 3 weeks since they were sent by your school, I’d call UW and check with them.</p>

<p>Mine was sent around a week ago actually, it still says “Not Confirmed”. I just don’t want to wait a month for them to update and then find out I’m still missing something.</p>

<p>I guess I might have to wait until Monday to see if it is updated.</p>

<p>p.s. since I’m a transfer, I had to e-mail them my spring courses. I e-mailed them an update of my classes early last week and it still shows the old date, so I’m wondering if they’re just behind or not</p>

<p>my dream is to go to wisconsin, and i applied the first week of december… i still haven’t heard back yet which is fine but i am thinking about dropping a class for next semester… would that really jeopardize my chances of getting in? here is my info.
SAT: 2100
GPA: 3.895 unweighted, 4.21 weighted
current senior schedule:
ap stats, ap english, ap environmental, gov, econ, ASB (student gov’t), and ap spanish
i really want to drop ap spanish because i want to take 6 classes instead of 7.
i have taken 4 ap classes in previous years and 2 honors.
what do you guys think? should i stick it out so i have a better chance of getting in or is there still a pretty good possibility i’ll get in if i drop spanish?</p>

<p>I would not worry about one less class as long as you already meet the language requirements. Your other stats are excellent.</p>

<p>[Your</a> UW Day - Office of Admissions and Recruitment at the University of Wisconsin-Madison](<a href=“http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/wisconsinreal.php]Your”>http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/wisconsinreal.php)</p>

<p>Admitted Students - Sign up for your ‘UW Day’</p>

<p>You should get in no problem without the AP Spanish. My S last year (class of 2010) got in with similar profile; he is finding UW to be challenging but got excellent first semester grades. Not from Wisconsin (OOS). FYI, turns out, if he takes one Spanish course at 300 level and earns A or B, gets 12 credits for the one course! Applied on Oct 23, transcripts received Oct 31, and accepted online Nov 11.</p>

<p>So I sent in my transcript over two weeks ago…they haven’t even logged it yet, should I resend?</p>

<p>p.s. I sent it during the week they were moving from old building to new too…</p>

<p><em>EDIT</em> Scratch that, they received it today!</p>

<p>Recent post on the upswing in sttas needed for UW from a Rye, NY area alum. </p>

<p>"I live in a town that takes its academics almost too seriously and the high school sends a lot of kids to the Ivy League and other top schools. Wisconsin has always been a respected name here and since UW and Michigan are more or less equally difficult to get into, Indiana has become very popular. This year Wisconsin has gone through the roof. It’s arguably the most desirable school among current applicants, ahead of Michigan, Penn and others. I can’t believe how it’s taken off, and it’s almost all attributable to sports. For some reason the Saturday night game against OSU was like a marketing video. Almost everyone I know commented to me about how awesome it looked, etc., and from there people took notice of our season. That matters a lot to kids looking for a rounded experience. Of course the academics are there and people know Madison is a fun town but almost every kid expressing an interest in UW wants a highly spirited, rah-rah vibe with major sports. That’s true for boys and girls. Wisconsin is now one of, if not the leading standard bearer for that type of environment. A lot of parents approach us because we are quite visible about our love for UW (it could have been the flag hanging from my portico Jan.1, or that my kids are rarely seen without some form of UW clothing on). I’ve become like the informal local go-to guy for questions about the university. I had a discussion with father Saturday night and his son has Wisconsin as his first choice with Michigan second. I asked him why and he said his son told him Wisconsin has better sports. Let’s think about that for a while: to a current high school junior, Wisconsin has better, more high profile sports than Michigan. About an hour later a mother excitedly informed my wife that her daughter was accepted to UW. She applied to like 10 schools, including Michigan and Penn, where the mother went, but this was her first choice so they are done. Another guy is dying for his daughter to go to Vanderbilt, his alma mater, but her visit to Madison blew everything else away. He called me because he wanted to find out what all the fuss is about since so many kids are talking up Madison and he knew nothing about it. Our next door neighbor has Madison as her first choice, ahead of Michigan, after her older brother told her to go there. He is currently at Syracuse after being rejected by UW. I could go on and on. I wear my Wisconsin stuff and everyone comments. That wasn’t always the case. Michigan was on a higher plane, but it isn’t anymore. </p>

<p>The brand is exploding and a lot of it’s pretty obvious to me that much of that is attributable to the high profile football season we just had."</p>

<p>Finallyy got a response, after three months of waiting!</p>

<p>Accepted
Male
Minority (Hispanic)
OOS (New Jersey)
Competitive Catholic High School
25 ACT (weakness)
3.8 gpa uw/4.1 w (mix in honors and a couple of APs)
Great recs
Great essay (if i do say so myself)</p>

<p>It kind of came as a shock to me that I got in, especially since my ACT score is abysmal :confused: . I bet it was probably the gpa and essays that helped me out a lot. Don’t know if I’m going to go though, does anyone know if they have an undergraduate Urban Planning/Urban Studies program? I know that their grad program is one of the best in the country.</p>

<p>Barrons,
Wisconsin does have great track record in pumping out great CEO’s. The current AMAT CEO was a Badger (EE). My old boss was a Badger. A very smart guy. I was told that Wisconsin is responsible for generating most of the Fortune 500 CEO’s after Harvard. I guess not many schools can claim for that title…</p>

<p>You cannot major in planning undergrad but one very good alternative is to major in Real Estate Investments and take some planning classes–there are many open to undergrads.</p>

<p>[Urban</a> and Regional Planning >> Admissions](<a href=“http://urpl.wisc.edu/academics/courses.php]Urban”>http://urpl.wisc.edu/academics/courses.php)</p>

<p>[The</a> Wisconsin Real Estate Program](<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/realestate/]The”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/realestate/)</p>

<p>postponed - cumulative uw gpa of 3.61, freshman year 3.39, sophomore year 3.55, junior year 3.91, senior semester 1 3.89. i’ve taken 6 honors courses. my school doesn’t have an AP program. sat 640 math, 600 reading, 510 writing (lol) 640 chemistry. act composite 25; 27 reading, 27 math, forgot my other scores but english & science weren’t very good. out of state (new hampshire), dad is alumni, extra curriculars are not stellar; just paid work (been working there for 3 years), softball, religious education, and community work. essay was bad. not surprised over postponement, called wisconsin on thursday asking to change the major i was being considered for. general engineering –> nursing. not sure if my postponement was based on engineering or not.</p>