Fall 2011 Applicants - Any Decisions Yet?

<p>Rejected. SAT was 1970, not surprised</p>

<p>1970 is way above the 1860 average sat score, so it was probably not the reason you were rejected.</p>

<p>@boramk
I’m sorry to hear that. You and I have the same SAT score. You were previously postponed right?</p>

<p>Top choice. Rejected. 1900 SAT and 3.4 GPA</p>

<p>@collegeworries. I’m so sorry :frowning: that sucks. What were your extracurriculars? Were you postponed first? You can always appeal it.</p>

<p>@ OMGIT</p>

<p>No I wasn’t.</p>

<p>I actually had some some stellar essays as well. I do A Levels, well did, and coverting my results to GPA was somewhere between around 3.6 more or less.</p>

<p>@MNBADGEER</p>

<p>How do you appeal?</p>

<p>I’m not sure but I know you can. I don’t know how successful it is but maybe it’s worth a try. </p>

<p>Does anyone know if they have started the postponement reviews?</p>

<p>A student with a 3.4 and a 1900 who was rejected has virtually no chance of winning acceptance through an appeal. Don’t encourage such nonsense. It’s time for him to move on.</p>

<p>I bet most people who have under a 3.6 gpa and under 2000 on their sat’s were deferred unless they are a minority.</p>

<p>Accepted oos from california!!</p>

<p>Congrats. Were you previously deferred? Please tell me that you were previously deferred. :P</p>

<p>about 50% of deferred are accepted. I wonder if they put special marks on them so that the professor’s know who they can give grades lower than an A. [Wisconsin</a> Blogs - Office of Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison](<a href=“http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/blogs/2011/02/25/guest-blogger-my-experience-as-a-postponed-applicant/]Wisconsin”>http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/blogs/2011/02/25/guest-blogger-my-experience-as-a-postponed-applicant/)</p>

<p>“We know the postpone process can feel like a harrowing experience. Traditionally, we’ve admitted anywhere from 10-60% of students that we had previously postponed. For Fall 2011 applicants that have been postponed, the final decisions on your applications will be made on or before March 15.”</p>

<p>The bold part is a little bit scary. It can even be 10%.</p>

<p>There should be some incentive to accept or reject admissions offers early. How about anyone who accepts prior to 3/20 gets their admissions fee refunded. I was accepted to many other very good schools. I am sure there are many people on the bubble to those schools.</p>

<p>Those fees pay for the admissions office. Sorry, no refunds.</p>

<p>The “10-60%” part scared me too. I’ve always thought that 40-50% of postponed are accepted…I mean, I know applications are at an all time high but could the percentage of us finally accepted really be as low as 10 percent?!</p>

<p>It seems the odds are more with a higher number–I’d guess 40% more likely than 10%. Much depends on yield from the class too. That’s the wildcard and can lead to going to the waitlist–or not.</p>

<p>they won’t know the yield until after May. What will end up happening is a long waiting list. I guess if you accept another school the only thing that is lost is the deposit. Is 75% of wisconsin residents smarter than the rest of this country?? I can’t see how the Wisconsin residents think that its easier to get in out of state unless the other states think there are better schools locally.</p>

<p>I got this off of the admissions website</p>

<p>"EXTENDED WAITING LIST</p>

<p>Some students who are denied admission after being postponed are offered the option to add their name to our extended waiting list. The waiting list form is included at the bottom of the final decision letter. Please note the following details:</p>

<p>Likelihood of Admission: We traditionally admit students from the extended waiting list rarely and in small numbers when we do. It is impossible to estimate the likelihood of the university admitting from the waiting list this year as it is contingent upon many factors.</p>

<p>Unranked List: The waiting list is maintained in an unranked order. All students on the waiting list will be equally considered for admission in the event that space becomes available.</p>

<p>Improving Chances: There is nothing a wait-listed student can do to improve his or her likelihood of admission. Only the application materials we have already received will be used in waiting-list actions. Additional essays, recommendations, interviews, etc., will not influence the decision.</p>

<p>Notification: In the event that space becomes available after the May 1 enrollment deadline, we may offer admission to a few additional wait-listed students in late May or June. We will notify these students immediately. We will not notify students who are not admitted from the waiting list. If you are on the waiting list and do not receive further correspondence, that means we are unable to offer you admission.</p>

<p>Alternative Plans: All students on the waiting list should accept admission to another institution as the likelihood of admission to UW–Madison is very small. If an enrollment deposit is required, you should submit the deposit. If you are admitted to UW–Madison from the waiting list and choose to attend, you may forfeit the deposit you made to the other institution. Please check with the other institution for the policy on refunds."</p>

<p>bah it sounds as such a small percentage are admitted off the waiting list… apparently around 400ish. and in perspective to all of the applicants on that list, that is tiny.</p>

<p>I have a feeling that there were a lot of students accepted that were considerabilty above the normal student in prior years. I know many of my friends who were accepted with high credentials that have no intention of going to UW. Considering that this is a baby boomer year most state schools have the same problem.</p>