Fall 2012 Decisions

<p>I just got in this morning!!! :)</p>

<p>SAT 1: 2160
SAT2: Maths level2: 800 Chemistry: 800</p>

<p>Yay! I’m so happy!!! :D</p>

<p>I can tell from your post that you’re upset & frustrated. I’m sorry that you and your son are suffering. But, you did understand that one of the potential outcomes of applying was a “Defer”, right? While frustrating for you & the many others who received this news, you can be angry & frustrated, you can imply that the Director of Admissions is doing something wrong on this public forum, or you can do something about it. Your son should submit his first semester grades, get 1 or 2 more letters or recommendation, send an e-mail or letter to the UW-Madison Admissions person assigned to his high school indicating a sincere interest in attending, and be specific about “why”.</p>

<p>Being pi$$ed off isn’t a strategy. Try some of the things listed or seek advice from your high school counselor, but whining about being postponed isn’t going to improve your chances.</p>

<p>Anybody know what percentage of the incoming freshman were first postponed? (Barrons, this is right up your alley.)</p>

<p>I do believe 40% of those postponed are accepted. So, BadgerBacker, your son has a pretty good shot. I can understand one’s frustration at being a Wisconsin resident and seeing others, especially out of staters, gain their acceptances. </p>

<p>From a practical point of view, Billywesty gives the right advice.</p>

<p>Quite a few are postponed. last study I can recall indicated something near half with the rest split between accept and reject. So you have 7500 accepts out of the first screen and you want 15,000. You have 15,000 in the defer group so about half of them do get in in the second round after 1st semester grades and other info is in. Those are rounded numbers but a good ballpark estimate. So in a way you had a 25% chance of getting in the first cut and 50% the second. Might see that as good news in a way. ;-)</p>

<p>Badgerbacker–stats please?
BTW the efforts of the new AD to increase the UW interest in schools in the east and other areas is a direct and rather smart response to the budget. The more high income high ability students the UW can get the more income it can get and cover the state cuts and at the same time improve the academic profile. UVa and UM started doing this decades ago and have higher rankings despite low state funding and little advantage in faculty quality or any other real measures of quality. Better students attract other better students and often they are also full-pay leaving more fin aid for the rest. Brilliant strategy. Uva advertises great aid for all but the catch is they only have a relative few needy students so a small amount of aid goes a long way.</p>

<p>I don’t know if this makes any difference…but not all the students who were accepted are going to attend Madison. I am not sure if that increases the chances for your son. Did he have better stats than most of the OOS admissions? Your son may have a chance yet…it sounds like a good idea to send current grades, a letter of interest, and more recommendation letters. Good luck! </p>

<p>Barrons: Just wondering if it is more difficult for instate students to get in their college after their freshman year because they won’t be “high income” like the out of state students?</p>

<p>It really has nothing to do with budget cuts, and it’s not the Adele’s fault. Your son just wasn’t a clear reject or accept. I was postponed too, and I’m happy that they are giving my application a second thought. Right at the beginning, the website say you will get a decision of accepted, rejected, or postponed. I really don’t see how it’s a “big tease” or “cruel”. You said you have several other options lined up, so you were obviously emotionally prepared for a reject, which this is not. They are obligated to make a decision by the beginning of February, and this is their decision.
Like they recommend, I am going to submit my semester grades and another letter of recommendation. I understand frustration towards the process length, but the anger really isn’t warranted.</p>

<p>No, most transfers are instate and being one is not a problem at all. UW is trying to get more on that path and grow the transfers while keeping freshmen flat. That way they can produce more degrees for lower cost.
And overall around 40% of those accepted attend. More for instate and less for OOS.</p>

<p>Sorry Barrons.
I did not make myself clear.<br>
I meant once the UW Madison student completes his/her freshman year and they apply to their school of specialized study, would the students who pay more (OOS) be given priority over the instate students (who pay less)? I understand it is competitive to get in the various schools at UW-Madison. Just wondering how this all comes into play.</p>

<p>The university doesn’t care where you come from once you are there. Only admissions has the job of making sure the needed percentage of students is from instate. Since typically as many OOS students are already being admitted I don’t see how extra recruiting will affect the chances of instate students except among the instate population.</p>

<p>Good replies to the impatient parent. The rules have always been clear. Rolling admissions is like that, never a first come first served notification.</p>

<p>Thanks for explaining Wi75</p>

<p>You clarified some of the concerns about admission to the UW Schools. Have been hearing and reading so much about those budget cuts…</p>

<p>Badgerpacker, I know how hard it is to wait. I am sorry you are going through this. My son was deferred and in March was not accepted but invited to be on the wait list. He was accepted from the waitlist in June. Although he was heartbroken he held onto a positive attitude and was very proactive and went many extra miles to sell himself. he got extra recommendations from teachers, called admission’s counselor, he kept his grades up and wrote why UW madison was his number one choice. He had friends at Madison who cheered him on. He also applied to several other schools and had a full backup plan. Waiting is hard and can be costly but we were aware postponement was a possibility. When he was on the waitlist he continued to plug for himself and kept up correspondence with the admission’s counselor. It was worth the effort and wait. I also believe that had he not gotten in he would have been fine at other college.</p>

<p>judyjim
A fine story and a real credit to your son. I am sure U of Wisconsin is glad to have him. My son is considering U of Wis (accepted this month)–and after all that hard work for your son to get into Madison–was his first semester experience rewarding?</p>

<p>Does everyone receive an email inviting them to apply for merit scholarships? I got one today, but I haven’t been accepted yet.</p>

<p>Do you remember cuts like this in the past? Any insights?</p>

<p>[?We</a> have to cut to the bone?: The impact of budget cuts at UW](<a href=“http://host.madison.com/daily-cardinal/news/we-have-to-cut-to-the-bone-the-impact-of/article_7d7bbb5c-465c-11e1-b432-0019bb2963f4.html]?We”>http://host.madison.com/daily-cardinal/news/we-have-to-cut-to-the-bone-the-impact-of/article_7d7bbb5c-465c-11e1-b432-0019bb2963f4.html)</p>

<p>I was a student in the early 1970’s, the end of the Vietnam war era. As a student I was oblivious to the overall university funding et al- concerned with making my ends meet. I then ignored UW until son was there. Students typically don’t miss what they never knew was there before. I knew my tuition was tenfold my mother’s because there was a newspaper article stating tuition over the decades around that time. Therefore it was no surprise to see it that much increased for son (and realized the nickle candy bar was also increased in price the same). I also noticed a lot of new building going on during son’s campus time and improvements in technology and student services including the Honors program extras. When a friend went to grad school at Minnesota we noted the vast difference in our great undergrad chemistry facilities, recently I recall reading in my Badger Chemist how they need to redo them at UW now. So, no, didn’t notice any of the current funding woes. Was feeling lucky there were no riots disrupting classes.</p>

<p>Thanks Wis 75. You make some good points. We went there several times and were amazed by all the construction. Looks like there are new facilities and new dorms going up. Are you aware if other colleges are going through the same pinch?</p>

<p>Have not paid attention, only know what makes the headlines, including how college investment funds plummeted in recent years. Not into business. Just know the whole country is suffering. !@#$%^ upper echelon business leaders taking the lion’s share of the money instead of the better balance of decades ago between management and workers. Buffet is right about raising taxes. Congress needs to raise taxes on the rich- the rich and well off can afford it, especially when it means avoiding a lessening of the staus quo in those public expenditures the private sector can’t take care of. I mean good roads and public schools at all levels. </p>

<p>You asked and I vented. Barrons is the one who follows business trends.</p>

<p>I hear you Wis75</p>

<p>There is so much turmoil right now politically. Our oldest son has a fascination with politics and finds the current events interesting. Somehow he has remained neutral, just studying it like they are happenings from a history book (will probably be in a history book some day:). I don’t remember ever seeing so many demonstrations. I hope our state can pull together and resolve the political polarization. It would make the residents happier and the political process run more smoothly.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input.</p>

<p>Cuts were very similar under Doyle in the 2002-2003 recession period. They even had a mid-term 10% tuition surcharge and another pretty large increase the next year. For instate that is not an option in the current period as the max increase was set by the state @5% per year. They (Republicans) really like to stick it to the UW for various mostly political reasons and they have (for now) control fo the state. There will be significant belt-tightening and some limitations in classes etc that were not the case under the former administration of Chancellor Biddy Martin. Hopefully the political situation will swing in the other direction soon. Thankfully the stock market has bounced back so the endowment funds look much better than a few years ago and research funding from the feds appears to be avoiding major cuts so the overall funding picture while not great is at least managable over the short term. Obviously in the long term a better funding model will have to be found.</p>

<p>Thanks Barrons</p>