Financial aid packages released

<p>I just received my Total UM financial package and it turned out to be almost 50,000!!! How about anyone else? Did anyone receive enough financial aid to go there or was it not enough?</p>

<p>Congrats! What grants/scholarships were you awarded?</p>

<p>Mine wasn’t even 12000 :confused: so at the moment, Miami is out. Ughh</p>

<p>@kjha6268
Financial Aid Awards
Awards Description Fall Spring Total
Est FL Medallion Schlp $ 1140.00 $ 1140.00 $ 2280.00
Est FL Res Access Grant $ 1075.00 $ 1074.00 $ 2149.00
FL Student Asst Grant $ 1118.00 $ 1117.00 $ 2235.00
Federal Pell Grant $ 2775.00 $ 2775.00 $ 5550.00
Fed Supp Ed Opp Grant $ 500.00 $ 500.00 $ 1000.00
Univ of Miami Grant G $ 12500.00 $ 12500.00 $ 25000.00
Miami Grant $ 3300.00 $ 3300.00 $ 6600.00
Coral Grant $ 1950.00 $ 1950.00 $ 3900.00
Total $ 48714.00</p>

<p>@beachlove sorry about that though :(</p>

<p>I got $13.5k extra in addition to my University scholarship, so I’m already almost at full tuition!</p>

<p>Great news on our end too…does anyone know if a Coral Grant is just for the first year or a yearly thing?</p>

<p>Pretty pleased… total financial aid package including fed work study is about $51,000… so if I don’t get into any of my reaches, and even if I don’t get Singer or Stamps (this weekend!), I 100% have the ability to be a Cane! SO EXCITING!!!</p>

<p>less than 10 k in grants+ work study…guess I wont be going to Miami…I thought Miami had a good reputation with financial aid.</p>

<p>@DJacks
What is the Univ of Miami Grant G?</p>

<p>@DIZ1447The UM grant is a tuition restricted grant that is awarded based on academic merit. It is also renewable every year.</p>

<p>@SeekingUni Congrats! Guess I will be seeing you next year :)</p>

<p>I hope to be as lucky as you when I apply there next year. Did you apply for any scholarships or was this all given to you through just the financial aid? Also are you a Miami resident?</p>

<p>Congrats DJacks, Marinebio444, DinDune and SeekinUni!
This is 3 weeks ahead of last year’s financial awards. Amazing too in a way that those who have not attended S/S weekends would be getting such generous awards. As SeekingUni says, already at 100% tuition - so unless s/he gets the stamps to pay for R&B, then the Singer doesn’t add anything except prestige…
@DinDune - the Coral Grant is renewable annually - just like a scholarship (as long as the student “shows continued academic progress”.)</p>

<p>Really wasn’t expecting to see a FINAID link until later this month - UM keeps surprising us!</p>

<p>Thanks, Zinc. We are beyond happy by the financial package. This makes going down for the Stamps/Singer weekend a lot less pressure on DD. So no matter how the interview goes, she’ll be a Cane for sure! She can just enjoy, knowing that she’ll be moving in to the dorm in a few short months!She has already won some outside scholarships too, which means a nice refund in the debit account! whooppee!</p>

<p>I feel like everyone either made out really well with financial aid, or barely got any at all. It stinks being on the bad side of it. I’m sitting here in my Miami gear knowing I won’t be able to wear it next year. I emailed them to see if there was anything I could do and they said based on my “academic promise” there was nothing else they could help me with besides loans and outside scholarships. I wish they hadn’t used those words to describe it because it made me feel kinda dumb even though I got accepted like everyone else. Anyway, congrats to everyone who got a nice package! Have fun there next year :)</p>

<p>Beachlove, perhaps consider a transfer after your freshman year elsewhere…then you can show them how much “academic promise” you truly have after you post stellar grades from elsewhere. You are not dumb, and don’t let the words of a financial officer hurt you. Perhaps call your admissions rep to see if there is any other way of finding some funding, perhaps after things shake out and the May 1 deadline passes and they see how many people are actually enrolled for fall. You are smart and determined, traits which will take you far in life. Sending a virtual hug.</p>

<p>with an income of about 150,000- 200,000$ a year, what do you think my financial aid package would look like?</p>

<p>I think the merit based scholarships and grants are “need-blind”, so you’d be eligible for them even if you were Bill Gates offspring. Most likely you’d be looking at zero need based aid, federal grants, etc… as your EFC would probably be above the total cost of attendance (unless you have a real creative financial planner).</p>

<p>Do scholarships come in with your financial aid package or are they in your acceptance letter? When I called the school today one person said when I get my letter next week it will be in there but another told me it would be on myum account already if I was awarded any academic scholarships.</p>

<p>In the packet in the mail. Perhaps if you check on My UM you will see your current awards already updated though.</p>

<p>@teblue23</p>

<p>I got the scholarships after filling out my FAFSA. And yes I am a Miami resident. The only other scholarships you have to apply for is the Hammond Scholarship (pays full tuition only) and The George W. Jenkins Scholarship (a not well known scholarship but gives 3 students every year a full-ride as well as a $1, 500 stipend per semester). All other UM scholarships/grants/loans you are automatically eligible to get after applying to the school and filling out your FAFSA. Best of Luck applying next year :)</p>