Full-Time Student?

<p>I have some ap credits.</p>

<p>Do I need to have at least 12 hours/semester to be eligible for Presidential?</p>

<p>I don’t know, but call here to get a definitive answer: Local: (205) 348-8201
Toll Free: 1 (800) 933-BAMA (2262).</p>

<p>Even if you don’t have to take 12 credits for the Presidential, you should still do so. How many credits were you thinking of taking?</p>

<p>No, you do not.
Little known fact after the fact, there are no minimum hours required for the scholarship.
SO in theory if you were in jeopardy of dropping below GPA and losing it, since you only need a 3.0 per semester to keep in the running, you could take just one easy A class and be good to go. Yep.</p>

<p>I’m a gen chem major, hoping to go to med school. The research classes are worth “2-6” credits. Not sure what that means, so I just assumed 2.</p>

<p>Was wondering if, as a pre-med, I should finish in 3 years, or just take a very mellow senior year?</p>

<p>Would have 42+82=124 credits with this schedule (assuming i place out of foreign language with Spanish CLEP this summer). I would also have completed all the gened/CAS requirements for the BCh (with honors i think).</p>

<p>I threw statistics in for the med schools (like UCLA) that want either stats and calc or 2 semesters of math in college. </p>

<p>I wanna go all out on studying for the MCAT and take it right after sophomore year, when I finish Ochem. I feel that it would be the best time.</p>

<p>Was thinking of a 4/yr schedule like this:</p>

<p>Fall Frosh: (12)

• Calc 3
  • Intro Bio w/ lab
  • Physics w calc 1</p>

<p>Spring Frosh: (11)

• Stats
  • Bio w/ Lab 2
  • Physics w calc 2</p>

<p>Fall Soph: (14)

• Ochem 1
  • HU
  • Research 1
  • Quantitative analysis</p>

<p>Spring Soph: (10)

• Ochem 2
  • HU
  • Research 2</p>

<p>Fall Junior: (13)

• Physical Chem 1 w/lab
  • W1
  • Inorganic Chem
  • Research 3</p>

<p>Spring Junior: (9)

• Physical Chem 2 w/lab
  • W2
  • Research 4</p>

<p>Fall Senior: (7)

• Instrumental Analysis
  • FA</p>

<p>Spring Senior: (6)

• Biochem 1
  • Lit</p>

<p>And a 3/yr schedule would look like this:</p>

<p>(42 from prior exams) + 80 credits total = 122 credits. I accidentally put 2 extra credits in the previous 4 year schedule…</p>

<p>Fall Frosh: (12)

• Calc 3
  • Intro Bio w/ lab
  • Physics w calc 1</p>

<p>Spring Frosh: (15)

• Stats
  • Bio w/ Lab 2
  • Physics w calc 2
  • Quantitative analysis</p>

<p>Fall Soph: (13)

• Ochem 1
  • Research 1
  • Physical Chem 1 w/lab
  • W1</p>

<p>Spring Soph: (13)

• Ochem 2
  • Research 2
  • Physical Chem 2 w/lab
  • W2</p>

<p>Fall Junior: (15)</p>

<ul>
<li>Inorganic Chem</li>
<li>Research 3</li>
<li>BioChem 1</li>
<li>FA</li>
<li>HU</li>
</ul>

<p>Spring Junior: (12)</p>

<ul>
<li>Instrumental Analysis </li>
<li>Research 4</li>
<li>Lit</li>
<li>HU</li>
</ul>

<p>Med schools do NOT like seeing light-load semesters…unless it’s your last semester. They will think that you can’t handle a full load. They want to see that you can handle 15+ credits per semester because when you’re in med school info will be coming at you like a fire hose. </p>

<p>It’s one thing to have one light semester, but your schedule is light every semester. Bad idea.</p>

<p>As for graduating in 3 years, while that’s do-able credits-wise, med schools may likely feel that you’re too young to accept. When this question comes up on the premed forums, the advice is usually to go all four years, or at least 3 1/2. (the 7th semester would be fall of senior year when you’d be interviewing, and that can be a lightish semester.)</p>

<p>Your goal shouldn’t be “just enough” credits to graduate. Your goal should be to show med schools that you can handle full semesters. </p>

<p>Since you have a lot of credits by exam, you really need to show more classes with GRADES. All those AP or other exam credits won’t have GRADES. </p>

<p>So, figure out what other classes you can take. Add a minor or two if you like. If your major doesn’t require a minor (some do, some don’t), and you don’t want to do a minor, then just take other classes for interest. </p>

<p>And move your PChem to semesters when you’re not taking OChem classes.</p>

<p>I knew Mom would weigh in…trust her, she knows what she is talking about!
I wanted to ask why aren’t you taking any Honors College classes along the way to be in the UH program? Surely that is something that you would want to be a part of, and would enhance your chances further down the road?</p>

<p>Young undergrads often don’t realize that certain missteps can make or break their apps for med school.</p>

<p>Look at it this way…med schools typically only interview about 10% of their applicants (Tip: applying EARLY in the season is a BIG help because the interview spots fill up). </p>

<p>SOMs get about 5000-7000 apps. So, they have to figure out which 500 or so they’re going to interview. And, of those interviewed, less than half will likely be accepted. So, out of 5000-7000 apps, to be one of the 300 or so that get accepted, you really can’t show weaknesses, because there are enough other apps without weaknesses. %The acceptance rate (about 5% is similar to the acceptance rates at undergrads like HYPS.)</p>

<p>Yes, SOMs first look at things like GPA and MCAT, but as we all know, they have more than enough applicants that fit those req’ts. So, then the “down-selecting” involves other tangibles and intangibles…like are you well-rounded (your schedule doesn’t suggest that), can you handle a full-load (already addressed that weakness), did you do medically-related ECs and volunteering. </p>

<p>What else interests you academically? What other subjects interest you that you’d do very well in? I’m not suggesting that you add classes that you won’t get A’s in. Do you sing? I know a premed who is one of the Bama choirs…It’s a class with performances, so there are grades. Are you a good writer? Do you love literature? Foreign languages?</p>

<p>What about sports related classes? My premed son has taken a couple of weightlifting, conditioning type classes.</p>

<p>We’ve just been thru the med school app process. Son made a couple of missteps, thankfully they weren’t deadly. He applied a little later than intended (late July), school started when the “secondaries” came in so he only completed 6 (could have killed him over that!). Thankfully, he ended up with 3 acceptances…truly a gift considering the LOW number of apps he completed.</p>

<p>Would you absolutely recommend against finishing in 3 years? Do they really discriminate that much against young applicants? I already skipped a grade so I turn 17 in June, after I graduate, which mean if I finished in 3 years I would be 19 all of senior year. My primary academic interests are chem and math.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Yes, unfortunately, they do. They associate "age’ with a level of maturity. </p>

<p>So, you’ll be 17 all frosh year
18 all of soph year
19 all of jr year (which would be your senior year if you grad early).</p>

<p>yikes. Applying to med school during the summer between soph and jr/sr year would mean that you would have just turned 19 years old when you apply to med school. That’s not going to look good. Even applying as a 20 year old will make you a young applicant. My son had just turned 21 when he applied (he turned 21 the same month that he submitted his app) and that is youngish. Applicants are older these days. I saw a breakdown at one of my son’s SOMs and 21 was the youngest that was accepted. I’m not saying that they wouldn’t accept a 20 year old, but a 19 year old would really be questionable. </p>

<p>So, figure out a 4 year schedule (or 7 semester schedule) that is balanced, with full loads each semester. Doing 7 semesters won’t hurt you because you’d still matriculate after 4 years.</p>

<p>You like math and that’s fine. You might want to include a stats math minor - med schools seem to like that, especially if you have some MD/PhD interests. If you don’t want to complete a math minor, that’s fine, too. Having a few of those classes on your transcript are a good thing.</p>

<p>I suggest that you also take the Medical Spanish class.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the input m2ck. I would have much rather finished in 3 years, but I will look into getting around 15 credits/semester over all 4 years.</p>

<p>Do med schools care about volunteerism? Getting out and being involved in related efforts in the community would be a great way to spend extra time and to solidify your decision to pursue medicine. Plus, people need help…</p>

<p>There may be Honors courses to use to accomplish this.</p>

<p>I believe there is a 150 (? m2ck would know more about this) hour requirement for working in some capacity in the healthcare industry prior to med school. </p>

<p>DD1 knows several former teammates who are now in med school and a couple who are applying (MCAT coming up soon), and all are CNA certified, EMT certified or similar and have done their hours over several years starting late in HS.</p>

<p>I would check into any such requirements and factor them into your plan.</p>

<p>Pre Med at Bama:</p>

<p>Just a few thoughts as you enter UA interested in Pre Med.</p>

<p>D is finishing her senior year. And Mom2 has held my hand through the application process.</p>

<p>MCAT:</p>

<p>The MCAT is changing. I believe the revamped test will be rolled out in 2015.</p>

<p>There will be 4 catagories:</p>

<ul>
<li>Molecular, cellular organismal properties of living systems.</li>
<li>Physical, chemical and biochemical properties of living systems.</li>
<li>Behavioral and social sciences</li>
<li>Critical analysis and reasoning.</li>
</ul>

<p>Plan course work accordingly. D had all her “pre requisites” done before she sat for tests. But some sections were heavy in bio course work which she had not taken at the time of MCAT testing. </p>

<p>Some classes that D took or wished she did:</p>

<p>UH Intro to Clinical Medicine</p>

<p>UH 330 Honors issues in Contemporary Medicine</p>

<p>AS 299 Junior Seminar Application Year</p>

<p>BCS 409 Hospital apprenticeship</p>

<p>BSC 450 Biochemistry</p>

<p>BSC Genetics</p>

<p>BSC Baci Lab</p>

<p>BSC Molecular Genetics</p>

<p>BSC Cellular Biology</p>

<p>BSC Anatomy Upper & Lower (I think)</p>

<p>Join Alpha Epsilon Delta. The have opportunties for shadowing, volunteering and leadership. D was set up with both shadowing and volunteering at the Good Samaritan Free Clinic.</p>

<p>Start research, shadowing and volunteering your freshman year.</p>

<p>Best of Luck!</p>

<p><<<
I believe there is a 150 (? m2ck would know more about this) hour requirement for working in some capacity in the healthcare industry prior to med school.
<<<</p>

<p>No, there is no req’t at all. There is an expectation that students “do something”…shadow doctors, volunteer, research, etc. But there is no req’t. </p>

<p>Some applicants really can’t do anything…they may be parents or very poor students juggling regular jobs, school, and applying to med school. Med schools won’t really penalize them for that.</p>

3yr Update: graduating in a few weeks and got in (MD)!! this layout has changed a lot since i’ve last been here haha

WOW, @Kieran0696, like, legit?! Good on you! Roll Tide!
Nice to see you were busy at your studies…instead of spending time on CC, lol…
Let us know where you’re going, and pass along any advice you can to current and future pre-med students here. Thanks.

@Kieran0696, don’t forget to share in the Bama Brags thread. And congrats!!!

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1307193-your-bama-brags-dont-be-shy.html#latest

Congrats! Where will you be going?

Can you share more info?

What was your BCPM GPA? What was your cum GPA?

What was your MCAT?

Are you 20 or 21? or ?

Where all did you apply? Where did you interview? Where were you accepted?

We all learn more from each acceptance.

If you prefer, please answer in PM