Help For Struggling Freshman?

<p>CC Friends:</p>

<p>Well, here is the long overdue update, and I’m afraid it’s not good.</p>

<p>DS is not going to make it at Alabama. His terrible grades last semester were followed up with too many failing grades this semester to remain. </p>

<p>Rather than dissect and speculate here what the root causes are/were, I’ll just say that a successful college career was not a “slam dunk,” but it was within his abilities. </p>

<p>DS tests well (Duke TIP, 26 ACT), reads 100+ pages an hour with comprehension, and writes with a novelist’s passion and flair.</p>

<p>But he has a dark side. He was socially isolated and lonely in HS (for reasons that are findable in previous posts so I won’t repeat them here). His HS grades, class rank, and circle of friends were - to be blunt - bad. </p>

<p>My Great Commission [sarcasm font], was based on an old YMCA creed: “Body, mind, spirit. Take care of all three and you’ll be fine. …and call your mom once in a while.”</p>

<p><em>le sigh</em></p>

<p>Water under the bridge. So we move on, and take a different path. He is looking for full time work here in Huntsvegas and has teamed up with another young adult (good kid) who chose work over college after HS. They’re scouting affordable apartments. </p>

<p>I’ll switch gears and try to be a supportive dad without being an enabler. I don’t have a basement, so he won’t turn 30 in it. </p>

<p>I love CC and will continue to recommend it to friends and neighbors, but I doubt I will be a regular any longer. Forgive me for not replying to your personalized emails and messages – I didn’t know what to say in my reply except, “thanks for the note.” </p>

<p>Thanks for all your informative, thoughtful, supportive, and funny posts. This is really a great community.</p>

<p>BillThePoet</p>

<p>Good luck to you and your son on your new journey. Take care. </p>

<p>I am SO SORRY that it didn’t work ou the way you imagined. Maybe this IS the way it is suppose to work out though. There are many adults who stop college for a little while, and then go back when they are ready. There are also many adults who have successful careers and lives without a college diploma…its just harder without one. Good luck to your son!!!</p>

<p>Everything in life happens for a reason. Thank you for sharing with us so opening and honestly. You will give strength to those who face a similar situation, and for that, we can thank you. Best of luck to both of you from here on out! </p>

<p>So sorry to hear, but this may provide the time for the family to figure out what is best for him.</p>

<p>Sorry to hear that your son didn’t have a good first year in college. It’s really great that he has a family that supports him in his endeavors, especially when he decides to take a different path. Best of luck to y’all as he starts a new chapter in his life. </p>

<p>Hang in there Bill, your son is young and life is long. He still has plenty of time to find his way. Working for a while will allow him to consider what he really wants to do, and give him a realistic view of working life. If he decides to go back to college later on he’ll have more maturity and a clearer goal of what he wants to achieve. Your plan to be “a supportive dad without being an enabler” is just the right approach. Good luck to you both.</p>

<p>Thanks for the update Bill. I have been wondering how you both were doing. Your son is so lucky to have a supportive father! Good luck in the coming days as you help him navigate his new path!</p>

<p>Bill, late to the discussion. I think you’ve struck the tough balance here between being supportive and being an enabler. He will find his way and you are doing what is best for him. S3 will get his chance at 'Bama this Fall. He has the tools as well, but, will he use them? Time will tell.</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing your experiences. I wish your son luck and happiness moving forward. I wish you peace in the knowledge that you have been a strong supportive active presence in his life and no doubt will continue to be. </p>

<p>So sorry…Your son’s story brings tears to my eyes…Good luck to you all. With your continued support, I am sure your son will end up where he needs to be and be happy, healhty and productive.</p>