How did I get waitlisted at Purdue?

@SaphireNY‌ A Dartmouth professor has sent a letter of recommendation for me to some of the colleges. I would ask him to send one to Purdue also. Plus my mathematics teacher would readily give a glowing recommendation. But I will have to check with the college if I can send these now. Anyway thanks a lot for the help.

You can always send them, the question is whether they will take them into account. It cannot hurt unless you are using up your resouces and annoying your recommeder. In the US the GC at school has all our recommendations and sends them out so teachers and others are not bothered after they write them.

If the Dartmouth guy or your math teacher actually knows someone and writes directly to that person and the admissions rep that may help

You applied to very top American schools that probably get many international applicants. If the US was your goal, you should probably have applied to others as well.

@SaphireNY‌ I will ask them if they will help before sending them.

@bopper‌ I guess. I am a darn fool.

There is no “appealing” a decision. You can accept a place on the waitlist and then let them know you would attend for sure if admitted.

michaelite: PU does not even read rec letters. Def have your GC call – given your metrics, I find this strange. Did they even link the correct stats with you? For instance, their College of Engineering – one of the more stringent admit rates – has an avg admit ACT composite of 31.

@bopper‌ Ok. So should I send an email to the admission committee about Purdue being my first choice?

@T26E4‌ Link the correct stats means? I guess it might have been because I am an international, but I will sent an email. And I will request my principal (GC) to speak to them.

yes. Best of luck to you. My kid was accepted early to the COE and we’re travelling down there for an athletic team tryout in a week. It’s one of her top two choices.

@T26E4‌ Thanks for the encouragement and the advice. And I hope your daughter likes it there.

I would do that. I agree that it would not hurt to have your guidance counselor inquire to make sure all was in order.

You may be overqualified. Your scores are really good.

Iowa State has a lot in common with Purdue and is still taking applications for next year.

This is surprising since purdue is so lenient in admissions. I’ve seen people with under 2000 SAT’s and 27 ACT’s and below 3.7 GPA’s get in. What major did you apply for?

@Dhruv97‌ Computer Science

I applied for that early action and got in with a 32 ACT, 3.75 GPA. Did you apply late?

@Jr12317‌ No one is ever rejected for being over-qualified. But that does make people feel good.

@sltxdad‌ Will check it out. Thanks.

@Dhruv97‌ 30th of December

Because if you applied late, since Purdue has rolling admissions, it’s possible that they’ve run out of room for that major at this time so they waitlisted you in case some one decides to not accept his/her offer

@Dhruv97‌ Lets see. I might appeal. But I have no basis for my appeal.