Mays external transfer

Oh ok, I was totally unaware of that. I will have 3 graded hours through DC. So i guess I’ll need 21 more or 7 classes right? That still works out because I was planning on taking two classes in summer and five in the fall. That works right?

And will my ap credit still go towards my credit hours when applying for a transfer?

1 Like

Yes to the first question. The 2nd one… if Mays told you that they would count, then yes. But you’ll get a degree audit after you apply. It will only show transferrable credits, not AP. Once you’re at TAMU, you can accept AP credit and they’ll apply it towards those classes.

Honestly, AP credit is always sketchy because you don’t know scores yet. And does a 3 count or do you need a 4 for those to count? If you can, zoom a meeting with a Mays advisor. Tell them your plan, write down their name, Use it in the essay. Keep all records of what they have told you and get it in writing.

2 Likes

@Futur3aggiehope i concur :100: with @AggieMomhelp - document every form of communication, write down names/dates, print emails, print off Mays transfer sheet, keep everything in a folder. Organization and a paper trail is super important.

Ok, I was told by blinn that I could enact my AP credits after the completion of 6 credit hours. So I’m not sure if this will transfer over to tamu or what. I have looked and a 3 is the requirement for credit in my ap classes for tamu.

I just don’t want to have to take classes that I’ve already taken. Which is what AP is for.

I get that… totally. But I will tell you that at the new student conferences (I’ve been through it twice) they say not to accept AP credit without discussing with your Tamu advisor.

1 Like

Yep, it is said over & over & over…at NSC, on Aggie Parents page, etc…wait to accept AP.
Student and A&M advisor need to go over them together. Once accepted, you can’t take them back.

Interesting ok. Well thank you. I contacted an advisor about this earlier and she didn’t know, said I should “contact an admissions counselor” which confuses me because I thought she should know that. So if I am reading this correctly, my credits for AP aren’t credited in the transfer even though I get credit for them at blinn? So those classes I completed with AP and acquired the necessary scores and gained the credits won’t be able to transfer from blinn to tamu, therefore I won’t have the 24 hours? This is idiotic to me, trying to bar me from gaining credit from difficult classes??? I am definitely going to have to set up a meeting with an advisor, what do you think the best way to do that would be.

Okay breathe real quick. AP credit will not ever count towards the graded credit. It’s not idiotic. For transfer students, they want to see that you can handle course rigor not just take an exam. Dual credit is a college level course. You get a grade. You are taught by someone with minimum a masters.

I’ve never heard of anyone accepting AP credit at a junior college. There literally is no point. The classes you need to take don’t have prerequisite so it’s not an issue.

One semester is typically not enough to apply to college as a transfer. But they are very good with letting you apply with less and then deferring for sprint grades. Then in May, you submit grades and get a decision rather quickly. Mays could be trickier with that since only 100 external candidates get in.

You’ll be behind those that are currently sophomores and have completed most of the core classes (as Mays asks transfers to do). You already knew it was a long shot. You have nothing to lose. I’m just giving you the facts so you set yourself up correctly and aren’t blindsided later.

I’ve seen it all.

1 Like

Ok thanks, currently working on getting in touch with an advisor.

So all of these courses on the transfer requirements need to be graded and can’t just have been completed from an AP course.

That is definitely a Mays advisor question. My point was in the 24 required credits to transfer. And that’s for all transfers, not just Mays.

How Mays handles AP with transfer students, I don’t know. But when you find out, please let me know. I’m always interested in learning new stuff.

I agree, I thought that those AP credits would transfer and I would be good but now you have raised some questions that I now need to be answered lol. I understood the 24 required credit hours I just want to know if my AP hours will transfer. I will find out, just emailed an advisor a pretty intricate email, will most likely set up a meeting.

1 Like

Alright so I emailed an advisor about AP credit transferring to tamu for the required courses. Here’s what she said:

Thank you for your email. You are correct – Mays Business School does not participate in the PSA program for admission. If you decide to pursue transfer admission from another institution, then you should follow the transfer admission requirements for Mays Business School. AP credit can be considered toward the required coursework for transfer admission into Mays Business School.

I recommend that you reach out to the Office of Admissions to make sure that you have followed the steps for your AP credit to be visible on your transcript in the transfer application process.

Lastly, make sure that you review the updated Transfer Course Sheet for Mays that will be posted for your catalog year (the semester that you begin college - fall 2021). Check the Office of Admissions website for updates.

I

Perfect!!!

Not quite sure how to answer that, I transferred with 46 credit hours (I think this puts me in the sophomore category in the directory). Hope that helps!

Ok, so you’ve been at the college you are for a year? Was the college you were at a community college like blinn or a university? What did you do to make your app look as good as possible?

Do you believe Mays cares what college you come from? Don’t want to be at a disadvantage coming from blinn.

Mays loves Blinn because blinn prepares their students. Now if you’re being compared to an Ivy League, then maybe it matters, but no, Tamu in general doesn’t care where you’re transferring from.

1 Like