National Hispanic Scholar NHRP Class of 2019

@Ktlegos

Yes, the Patterson is automatic, although on the web site, it’s listed as “selective”?.

I seem to recall the HS counselor sent in the verification.

Friends daughter got the notice she is a National Merit semi finalist today…anyone receive anything from NHRP? Hoping my daughter makes it! Good luck everyone!

On the UK website it says Patterson is full in-state tuition I believe. FriscoTX is this correct or did you daughter get full out of state?

ivhose, National Merit or NHRP? Two different awards…

@oreomollykona This page: https://www.uky.edu/financialaid/scholarship-incoming-freshmen says Patterson is also for OOS: “Full 4-year Out-of-State Tuition + $10,000 Housing Stipend (first & second years only and living on-campus in a University residence hall)”

Got it. Thank you!

We were so thrilled to receive a text yesterday from our kid at UK who is a junior this year. She was updating us on her classes in her major and all the exciting things she is looking forward to doing this school year.

She didn’t come home over the summer and I imagine she will want to stay down in Lexington next summer too. She has her apartment, her job, her friends…

And remember, she was NOT happy about being “forced” to attend UK in the beginning. We feel very, very lucky.

That is great your daughter is so happy there! Is Lexington a safe city? I have no idea about anything in or around Kentucky. We are from New Jersey.

So glad your child is having such a great experience at UK. I know I will be using these examples as time goes on to help convince my son that if he has the National Hispanic Scholar then this school would be the best deal for him. He really likes it already and it is number 2 on his preferred list of colleges. The other college he is looking at also offers a full tuition scholarship for National Hispanic Scholars but it is competitive and not automatic and that is Fordham University in NY. He had a good visit there as well, but it is still coming in behind KY.

@proudmom9

My D fell in love with Fordham without ever visiting. Our estimated four year cost for Fordham, even with the full tuition scholarship was just north of $90K, back in 2016. It was the fees, the NYC-priced room and board, and flights from Chicago that ballooned the price.

It just couldn’t compare to UK, which at the time our D enrolled, the Patterson was four years room and board stipend (even off campus) instead of two years (on campus only). So, you can understand why we forced her to go to UK. Money is tight for us!

Lexington feels very safe. Is it safe? I really don’t know. It reminds me of many larger midwestern towns. I like to tell people who aren’t familiar with it, “It has an APPLE STORE!”.

Our home is in an economically depressed urban-like suburb, and we always have our street smarts on, y’know? I assume our D took those street smarts with her, to school. I hope so at least!

I am anticipating that even if he is competitive for Fordham it would be very costly, especially compared to UK. And no worries about flights as he is within driving distance- although it is a very long drive it could be done. Lexington is a nice city and yes it reminds me of most Midwestern cities. Smaller than places like Chicago but big enough that it has most anything you could really want as far as arts, entertainment etc goes.

Does anyone know happen to know the stats of students who have gotten the Fordham NHRP award? It’s DS’s first choice, and he’s pretty well above their 75th%ile admits, but top 2-3% seems pretty elite.

Fordham does not have those stats out anywhere and the guides were unable to provide that type of information. I had been wondering about it as well.

I have news. Called NHRP again (blush) and they said the big white envelopes went out yesterday! :smiley: :smiley:

Hopefully they’re not sent as bulk mail or it may be November before they show up :-/. Maybe news by Monday.

HS counselor said we would find out which tier our son would make for HSRP (upper or lower) on 9/20.

@dreamschool19 I will be shocked if there really is such a thing as upper or lower for NHRP. I think the counselor is mistaken. There has never been such a designation in the past.

September 20th was the date the counselor said it would be released . I honestly do not know much about it.

What does the college board even look at when they are choosing who to award?

Also, I see this hasn’t been mentioned yet, but Wichita State University gives a scholarship that includes tuition, student fees and campus infrastructure and support fee up to 15 credit hours per term, on-campus room and board (any choice except private room), and a $1,000 stipend for books at $500 per semester. https://www.wichita.edu/admissions/ugrad/national_merit.php