NMF/NAF Package 2013-14 & Housing Question

<p>I think that means the entire scholarship package is reviewed annually, and any changes made would be for the packages to be received by that year’s incoming freshmen, right?</p>

<p>Oh okay good haha thanks for clearing that up. Got me really worried for a second.</p>

<p>Wait what? So I can get accepted with full tuition and any year after they could change it to half if they wanted to?</p>

<p>No. Once you’ve been offered a scholarship that can’t be changed. If you apply, get accepted and are offered X scholarship, then that’s final.</p>

<p>However, all schools evaluate what they will offer to the next round of applicants every year. </p>

<p>This year, Bama was about a month slow in getting this NMF change out. Technically, they weren’t violating anything because, at this point, there are no NMSF/Fs named yet, so no one yet qualifies for the NMF scholarship.</p>

<p>This sounds like a situation that just could not be financially feasible year after year for the University. Everything changes! This is one of those situations!</p>

<p>DS2 was getting everything set up to apply to UA, (DD1 is already attending on OOS NMF scholarship.) UA was not a school he had interest in at all, but because his sister attends and LOVES it and he is a high stat potential NMF, I encouraged him to go ahead and apply. I went to UA’s site to review scholarship info (I knew they changed to the IPAD for this year, but assumed everything else would be the same.) I read and re-read the “1 year of room cost”, and though I hadn’t been on CC for a while, knew I could find the scoop here.</p>

<p>Well, after 10 pages of scoop, I must admit, I will probably be one of the whiners. Like other high stat kids, DS has lots of opportunities. UA doesn’t even offer the major he is interested in, but he said he would consider making the sacrifice during undergrad so we could afford to help with Grad school, and so he could attend where big sis goes. </p>

<p>Here is the financial problem I have. Not only is it adding an additional $9000+ a year, but in reality it almost mandates the purchase of a vehicle, and all the associated auto expenses. Travel expenses, along with fees, meal plans, and auto expenses allows a state or religious university, or even a private school offering tuition, much more competitive. </p>

<p>Not that I am ungrateful. UA has absolutely been a good choice for D1, but I am pretty sure she would not be there if not for the full ride (just not on our radar.) And it will definitely lowers UA on DS’s list.</p>

<p>I truly hope it doesn’t change the quality of the scholars UA attracts, but it surly could cause most, if not all NMF to take a second look at other options.</p>

<p>CHANGE IS HARD. CHANGE THAT EFFECTS YOUR POCKETBOOK IS EVEN HARDER. :)</p>

<p>I don’t think the purchase of a vehicle is necessary. Many apts are either very close to campus or have trams that go to campus. </p>

<p>how does your D get to relig services and such?</p>

<p>Besides…the NMF student doesn’t have to move off campus. If he wants to stay on campus, he probably can. With many choosing to go off-campus now, there will likely be enough space to stay on campus. So, not sure how other schools only offering tuition are a better deal??? With those, you’d have to pay for FOUR years of housing…not three. </p>

<p>maybe you’re thinking that the NMFs will HAVE to move off campus. Not so. Those that choose to stay on campus will likely be able to do so.</p>

<p>Don’t get me wrong, I do wish Bama had kept the housing…or at least included a housing stipend for the following 3 years. </p>

<p>BTW…off-campus housing doesn’t cost $9k per year.</p>

<p>^^^I agree with M2CK, I don’t think that a vehicle is needed. There are also lots of housing options which are considerably cheaper than $9000 a year and there is also a huge benefit to having a full year lease…no moving out each year, no storage costs, and no help needed to move. I really believe that the NMF scholarships are still very competitive with other universities. I would make sure that I am comparing apples with apples, for instance the scholarships at UA currently cover up to 20 credits per semester. That is extremely generous.</p>

<p>^^
True…and the Oklahoma NMF doesn’t really cover any housing anymore because the stipend which used to go towards housing, now must be used towards the remaining OOS tuition AND the super high fees.</p>

<p>“Here is the financial problem I have. Not only is it adding an additional $9000+ a year, but in reality it almost mandates the purchase of a vehicle, and all the associated auto expenses. Travel expenses, along with fees, meal plans, and auto expenses allows a state or religious university, or even a private school offering tuition, much more competitive.”</p>

<p>My daughter, an incoming freshman, has had her own car since she was 16yo. As parents, we’ve chosen against allowing her to take a car to college (for now anyways). It is not necessary to have a car in Tuscaloosa. Does it make some situations easier? Sure. Necessary? No.
She’s an Honors student and decided to NOT live in the Honors dorms for various reasons, finances being one of them. She prefers to use $$ saved to study abroad. FYI, there are many that choose other living arrangements versus the $4500+ option. They are a luxury not a necessity.
Her account balance is currently $1,229 for the semester which includes the All Access Meal Plan $1,525. You can do the math…A couple of outside scholarships + OOS tuition is a darn good deal. I’m beyond thankful for the generosity of UA.
As you stated, your son is a high stat kid with lots of opportunities…ps most of the students being discussed and/or adding to the forum are high stat kids with lots of options. It’s about the total experience that UA offers far beyond the scholarships.</p>

<p>Not trying to be snarky. My point is ~$1,200/semester (total COA) for an OOS to attend UA is incredible. Entitlement makes me cringe and whining about the change comes off as such!</p>

<p>We just visited a few weeks ago and had an amazing experience. The Honors student who showed us around was so personable. The Honors college set up appointments with departments and spread it out over 2 days so my son could meet with everyone on his list and then some. It actually made his major choice more confusing because he enjoyed the business school visit so much. We even had a chance to meet Dr. Sharpe! It is an incredible school. My son is likely a NMSF because of his PSAT score, but he would have also qualified for the Presidential Scholarship with his 1530 SAT or 35 ACT. He really felt like UA was genuinely interested in him attending there. We were impressed!</p>

<p>I am late to the game on this thread, but here is my $0.02…</p>

<p>I think that UA’s decision has very little to do with room availability or overall funding (wait until you see the school’s cut from the next SEC football TV contract now that A&M and Mizzou are added; it will be mind-boggling).</p>

<p>Instead, I think the NMF package change can be attributed to one or both of the following:</p>

<p>1) UA’s merit scholarship offers relative to those now being offered by other universities</p>

<p>My understanding is that UA and OU are the only schools that offer tuition plus packages for NMF. Additionally, UA guarantees their merit scholarships to all applicants who meet specific objective criteria. Other universities have moved totally away from merit scholarships to need-based aid only, do not guarantee their merit scholarships to all candidates who meet the criteria, and/or have cut the value of their merit scholarships (e.g. - I believe that the highest OOS merit scholarship at Auburn is now the equivalent of paying in-state tuition). Simply put, UA is cutting the NMF package because they feel it will still be superior to the packages that most NMF students can get from other universities.</p>

<p>2) UA has come to the realization that NMF status alone shouldn’t carry such a significant benefit (~$40k over 4 years) compared to the next highest level merit scholarship (Presidential).</p>

<p>NMF is an inconsistent benchmark in that it varies from state to state (e.g. - what is not NMF in one higher-achieving state would be NMF in 25+ states; and what is NMF in a lower-achieving state would not be NMF in 40+ states). Thus, there are students with higher stats (PSAT, ACT/SAT, GPA, etc.) with “only” full tuition, while some students with lower stats have full tuition + $40k. Additionally, I believe that number of NMF students no longer carries the influence in overall university rankings that it used to (as opposed to ACT/SAT now), so why reward it so heavily.</p>

<p>I think that the change in the value of the NMF package will have a dramatic effect on the number of NMF for 2013-14, as I believe that the significant value of 4 yrs honors housing is a initial draw to foks who otherwise wouldn’t have UA on their radar (then they visit, see all UA offers, and fall in love!). And I think UA is fine with the NMF numbers falling dramatically, so long as their overall stats don’t fall off too much.</p>

<p>If the overall stats do drop with this change, I think UA will keep the NMF package at the revised lower level (or change it to say $5k/yr stipend), but add a higher level (e.g. - “Presidential Elite”) scholarship with benefits equal to NMF package for 34+ ACT, as that would likely draw in more high stats non-NMF students than currently (and likely more than offset any drop in NMF students).</p>

<p>^^^Fyi: U of Kentucky’s NMF package includes 4 years of tuition, room & board (board or the meal plan has never been included in UA’s) an iPad, $1000/year stipend, a $2000 summer study abroad stipend plus another “official” $2000 stipend ( not sure if that is one time or not.) </p>

<p>I don’t know much about the history of their award, since D1 wasn’t interested, but I believe they’ve enhanced it since 2010. </p>

<p>Every school has institutional reasons for offering the aid they do, and I am thankful for all the possibilities.</p>

<p>I could not help but reply to this recent stirring.
If a school does not even offer your student’s major, isn’t that a red flag? Much as all of us love UA, shouldn’t you be finding a school that at least fits a pretty major criteria for getting a college education in the first place? If your student is indeed high stats, then there are MANY opportunities available to him. Go back to the drawing board. Thinking about what shoulda/coulda been needs to be cleared from your mind and you need to start over with your search. Go back to your budget - what is the bottom line that you can afford? If you can still afford UA (with housing included now), then you should not be complaining. Full stop. If you cannot now afford UA because of the 3 years of housing costs for S2, then you need to find something within your budget, first of all; immediately clasp your hands together and say ‘thanks’ to whatever deity you support for allowing you to save so much money on your D1’s education, secondly; and lastly, truly do celebrate your S2’s achievements in their own right - in other words, do not push your disappointment onto your son - it will haunt his decision forever, if it has not already done so.</p>

<p>as of right now UAB still offers national merit, hispanic and acheivement scholars full tuition (15 credits per semester), 4 years of housing and a stipend. they have not posted any 2013 changes yet, so cant be sure</p>

<p>I think Bull87 hit the nail on the head.</p>

<p>I’m not sure why parents posting that this decrease in scholarship moneys awarded to NMF’s will likely affect their college choice is labeled “complaining” or “being ungrateful” by posters. When parents of potential NMF’s say, “Yeah, it will definitely be a factor in our decision,” all of sudden we’re accused of whining? Why the defensive reaction?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>While I do think that cost and dorm space were 2 factors, I do think that with sooooo many high stats non-NMF kids enrolling, that Bama felt that it could no longer justify giving costly housing to 200+ students per year (NMFs + NAs). Since Bama’s NMF/NA numbers really jumped these last couple of years, Bama was facing the prospect of having 1000 National Scholars on campus in any given year…all with free housing…typically honors. </p>

<p>I know that Bama will be getting more and more sports dollars, but I still think that the NMF housing cost was one serious factor. If not, then Bama would have changed housing to something like 1 year honors housing and 3 years $4000 housing scholarship to be used on or off campus. </p>

<p>Bama may be planning on using some sports revenue to build its endowment rather than continue awarding a very high number of expensive scholarships. Continuing to award the former NMF/NA scholarship could cost about $135k per OOS student. The reduced award will still cost the school about $105k…still a very generous award. </p>

<p>Bama has likely reviewed the stats of the students with “only” Presidential and found that group included a large number of kids with very high stats…often the same or higher than the typical NMF student. So, Bama may have concluded that it is getting a high number of high stats students who are happy to accept free tuition. I don’t think Bama needs to fear that it won’t attract “high stats kids” since it is already doing so with the Presidential alone…since so many high stats kids didn’t take the PSAT…or just didn’t score that well that day…or they come from a high cut-off state. Think of all the kids from states with 218+ cut-offs who scored right below their state’s number. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that a NMSF only has to score about a 1960 on the SAT to meet NMCorp’s minimum SAT req’t to move from NMSF to NMF. That means a NMSF student from a low cut-off state, who then has a SAT of 1960 gets a near-free-ride, yet his stats have done little to help the school. While the Presidential scholarship student with a 2300 is only getting free tuition, but his stats are really helping the school. </p>

<p>I do hope that Bama formally or informally awards “bonus merit” to those with particulary high stats - maybe ACT 34+. I would prefer that Bama come out with some formal award so that those with those stats can know what they’re getting. </p>

<p>Since I have one son who had the NMF, and one son who just missed the cut-off but had stats that were just as good, I’ve experienced both sides. In the end, the final cost for non-NMF S2’s education has been very low - albeit he did also get the Eng’g scholarship and one of those NMCorp special scholarships. But if he hadn’t gotten those 2 extra scholarships, his cost would have been comparable to what we would have paid if he had commuted to the local public U. That’s nothing to complain about.</p>

<p>Nicolle…what is your son’s major? Linguistics? (I may be confusing your son with another’s son). I still don’t understand what you meant by saying that another school offering ONLY full tuition may be “more competitive.” How is paying for 4 years of housing at another school better than paying for 3 years at Bama?</p>

<p>“I’m not sure why parents posting that this decrease in scholarship moneys awarded to NMF’s will likely affect their college choice is labeled “complaining” or “being ungrateful” by posters. When parents of potential NMF’s say, “Yeah, it will definitely be a factor in our decision,” all of sudden we’re accused of whining? Why the defensive reaction?”</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s whining. I think the reaction is very normal. Many were hopeful that their kids would make NMF and get the large scholarship…and now that scholarship has been reduced. While the scholarship is still very good, any reduction is going to be disappointing. Heck, people were disappointed when the award changed from a laptop to an iPad…and that was a much lesser change. </p>

<p>Instead of labeling the complaints as “whining”, it may have been better to offer insight as to how the change may not be as costly to families as they first imagine. Housing (off or on) does NOT have to cost $9k+ per year. My son’s rent is below $550 a month…and his complex is luxurious…a cheaper place could have been had. And, as others have mentioned, many NMFs want to move off-campus or into Greek houses anyway. And, no, a car is not needed if one lives off campus as long as one" chooses a complex that offers transportation (several do); chooses a complex that is within an easy walk to campus (there are many); or continue to live on campus (by either choosing standard doubles to save money or paying for the Super Suites).</p>

<p>mom2collegekids wrote: Keep in mind that a NMSF only has to score about a 1960 on the SAT to meet NMCorp’s minimum SAT req’t to move from NMSF to NMF. That means a NMSF student from a low cut-off state, who then has a SAT of 1960 gets a near-free-ride, yet his stats have done little to help the school. While the Presidential scholarship student with a 2300 is only getting free tuition, but his stats are really helping the school. </p>

<p>I’m quoting from mom2collegekids above because her statement echoes other comments on this board. While she is not criticizing NMSF students for their accomplishments, some posters seem to have the attitude that NMSF status is not an accomplishment. I agree in a sense, that one test on one day of a student’s life is insufficient to measure a student’s potential. With that said, that’s the way the entity that hosts the contest has chosen to run the contest. It’s not my place to change their contest. </p>

<p>Here’s my beef: There are some students who qualify for NMSF AND have high stats. I joined CC after lurking here for awhile and reading many of these posts. My son’s PSAT score is high enough to “make it” in any state. He is very fortunate. His supporting SAT and ACT scores also are high enough to make Presidential. Wanted to post this because it seems the NMSF students are having a rough time on this board. A student can qualify in both categories. The NMSF student is not a “lower” quality or caliber student. I feel my son is competent and qualified. His likely NMSF status shouldn’t be a negative as I’m reading into many posts. </p>

<p>Maybe those students who just “make” the qualifying SAT score cut-off had a bad test day like so many students have when taking the PSAT. Or maybe the student is satisfied after knowing their score is high enough to qualify and don’t want to spend the money to re-test to improve their score. I’m sure there are many scenarios and folks shouldn’t judge those students as “inferior.” These students are more than a test score, after all.</p>

<p>In the end, we’re looking for the place that is the best fit for our son to live, study, contribute, and grow as a young man during his college career. Many places will give him opportunities. He has to choose the one he feels is best for him.</p>