Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

What matters is Endowment/student and not total endowment $s. Northeastern is just way down in the ladder on that metric, against better endowed schools. #371 in this list.

1 Like

EDITED: false alarm. Once prompted they said they got the email yesterday.

Someone on Reddit just said they JUST got an acceptance email.

And they got into Boston campus.

Your son got a deans scholarship? Can you share dets for folks.

2 Likes

And they have good but not crazy stats and test optional.

I can only speak to Dublin, which had 200 students in the NUin program in Fall 2022.

1 Like

does northeastern send an email as soon as a decision is ready?

1 Like

I believe so but some people got decisions in their portal without any emails at all. I am so so so frustrated with NU

1 Like

itā€™s the first selective school iā€™m hearing back from so iā€™m really nervous. got into umd on friday so at least thatā€™s an option. im just frustrated with the lack of communication and all the talk in this chat has worried me

2 Likes

Kinda similar for me. I have gotten into wpi, rpi, clarkson, and u new haven but I got deferred from boston u. I love love love boston and really want to go to school there so this matters so much to me. The lack of communication and uncertainty and disorganized decision release is really having me reconsider my options.

2 Likes

Did they admit any 4 years Oakland campus yesterday?

Everything will work out! I understand the frustration though - with a school this prestigious youā€™d expect better. They need to get it together

iā€™ve just been so anxious about this whole process. iā€™m sure a lot of people have heard their counselors tell them about how hard admissions have been since covid. iā€™ve just been really discouraged. good luck to everyone in the process! just hope everything works out for the best.

2 Likes

Itā€™s also hard whenever people post their stats. Itā€™s incredibly hard to see how accomplished other people are and stay positive. But I got into Villanova and I didnā€™t do anything extraordinary; no nonprofit, no president roles, no researchā€¦ You never know what theyā€™re looking for, and you have just as good a shot as anyone else!

5 Likes

congrats on villanova! itā€™s an AMAZING school! stats really freak me out but i canā€™t help looking at them. it just feels like iā€™ve worked so hard for all these years and i want it to be worth it. i know many others are in the same boat.

thank you everyone for all the kind messages. youā€™re all making my heart warm :sob:

2 Likes

I donā€™t see any in this thread.

Weā€™ll all be okay, no matter where we go. As a fellow senior whose 2nd choice is NEU (BC is my top), Iā€™m super anxious too about the whole process. But we just need to trust the universe that things will work out. And if they donā€™t, thereā€™s always ice cream therapy. And my DMs are open. <3

5 Likes

NEU is also competitive because it satisfies the needs of what I call the donut hole middle class students. These are students whose parents canā€™t truly afford the cost, but EFCs come out high as they donā€™t take into account high cost of living in metro areas like Boston. So if they get into the true tops, it justifies spending to go those. But if you get into 15-30 ranking range, suddenly NEU is most appealing. They do give out some merit unlike the top colleges. In addition most of these students essentially have lots of AP/DE credits that Northeastern is very generous to accept. Ivies and others donā€™t or cap them. So a meritorious student can truly graduate in 3 years with average load. So the two coops in NEU then pay for one full year of college. So one needs to pay only for 2-2.5 years of college. So at the top public school our student is in, students either go to the really top colleges or go to NEU as financially NEU comes truly on top, and they donā€™t go the 15-30 ranked colleges. NEU also knows this and hence merit scholarships are not that high compared to other colleges at its ranking level. I know of many students who actually carried on from CoOp and maintained the job, especially in high demand majors like CS. CoOps managed well are a great boost to the finances.

9 Likes

@patsguy My daughter just got back from Dublin. She had a 3.96 uw GPA and 34 ACT score in high school. My other daughter who just got accepted for NUin had a 1560 SAT and 4.0 uw GPA ā€¦ so NU definitely doesnā€™t push lower stat kids to NUin!

Also, my NUin daughter felt that doing a study abroad is easier from an academic standpoint in your freshman year. You are basically knocking out some general ed classes. If you wait until junior year to study abroad like many student do, it can get more complicated to figure out a class schedule when you are knee deep into fitting in required upper level classes for your major. Plus, if Iā€™m honest, classes abroad were easier ā€¦ and the grades transfer as pass/fail so no impact on your GPA. Itā€™s a great on-ramp to college after finishing what was likely an intense high school experience!

15 Likes

Interesting turn of events: son got the email yesterday morning, then later received his acceptance to NUin, with an acceptance letter and letter for Deanā€™s Scholarship.

When we log into the portal now (on computer), it says he has no status update.

Boy, they really have some tech issues. Weā€™re trying to laugh about it.

4 Likes