Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Daughter applied EA and her portal changed today …no longer has an admission counselor…but we weren’t expecting to hear anything until Feb 1…any chance they will release EA earlier?

3 Likes

It is always a little earlier than it says. EA is usually last week of January.

3 Likes

Past year dates (so yes, ED expected tomorrow between 7-8pm Boston time)

7 Likes

And do you genuinely feel NEU is sub-par from an outcome standpoint even with their co-op program. I get the prestige factor of the Ivies but the reality of Ivies is that one patent should have gone there (legacy) or you are a presidential nominee. I sort of view NEU as what the Ivy world describes as pre-professional - a school that lands you a high a high paying job, preferably with sought after jobs,

5 Likes

Hope it is today but 12/7 is the first Wednesday of the month.

In the past GC’s would get a heads up on the day of release. GC’s are sworn to secrecy but a few have told anxious students who have reported it here on CC.

I am asking my GC as soon as i get to school lol. I need to know

Our GC got heads up about Boston College yesterday. But my school is also like a catholic feeder school for BC.

1 Like

Yes but it mostly depends on thanksgiving as well. The pattern is weird

1 Like

Prestige is a nebulous concept. I’m so old I remember that in the early 1970’s Boston College was on the verge of bankruptcy and faced closure. Harvard was sniffing around wanting to buy the campus. Things change in 50 years.

1 Like

Curious if anyone knows how much legacy weighs in on decision making. My husband and I are both legacy. DS doesn’t have amazing stats. Very well rounded… tons of extras but only 3.64 weighted and went TO. Applied early action. Thoughts? Without legacy he has no chance but just curious how much it’s considered .

2 Likes

Similar situation here, though submitted 1410 SAT. My impression is that legacy is not considered, but I’d be interested to see what others say.

2 Likes

Does anyone know for sure that ed decisions are being released tonight?

1 Like

No, it is speculation based on prior years’ patterns.

3 Likes

I think legacy might be a bonus factor if they were on the fence in an admission decision. It will likely come down to the class they want to “build” (some years they want to balance gender or muticultural diversity, sometimes students in certain majors have a better shot at admission, sometimes leadership strengths are most important) so if they have good EC’s, recommendation letters, and a “hook” that catches their attention, they could have a shot. We know a student who had decent stats but not perfect who received a $30K merit award and was invited to honors. He had National Hispanic Merit Scholar recognition and some unique community service experiences, so I assume both helped him stand out. Having said that, it’s a bit disheartening to see threads from last year in which students with 1520 SAT scores and 4.6 UW GPA’s were deferred or even rejected, so we are managing expectations for EA. Students applying ED definitely have a better chance right out of the gate. Good luck!

1 Like

Often high stat kids get deferred originally bc NU wants to manage their yield and likely thinks these students might be trying to use NU as a safety school (which it really can’t be for anyone anymore.) they’ll wait it out til RD to see if a student drops out from ED elsewhere.

4 Likes

The CDS says alumni/ea relation is “not considered” in admission decisions.

https://provost.northeastern.edu/uds/facts/common-data-set/

2 Likes

sorry if this has already been discussed - but do you all think it’s more likely that ED decisions will come out today, or on Wednesday the 14th?

Does northeastern defer to early action or regular decision?

1 Like

There is someone from my school with a 1200 and a 3.29 gpa that got in. Most of the time it is not just gpa. essay is so important

6 Likes