Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Or you have my son who was deep in green territory for one of the top 20 schools that his high school sends many students to. We thought he was a lock for that. He’s also a legacy, urm, etc. aside from having the grades, scores, and all. He was deferred even tho Naviance pretty much showed him to be a guaranteed acceptance based on our school data. So I’m not trusting that any more. Too much has changed since COVID. Too many odd variables and unpredictables.

7 Likes

Always a chance. Hoping for today or tomorrow. The changes on the portal are definitely a sign they are prepping for release, just unsure of WHEN that release will be. Trying to stay optimistic but realistic over here. Very tough odds even for the tippy top candidates so trying to keep a positive attitude, no matter what the verdict.

1 Like

I agree with you yet suspect they don’t commit to a date and time in case there’s a technical glitch. Otherwise, they’d have angry people on their hands and thousands of emails and phone calls. That’s probably why they announce decisions are out after after they send them.

3 Likes

Naviance isn’t that useful. I looked anyway but the school is small. One thing Naviance told me is that certain schools have NEVER taken someone from our school, so that’s unfortunate.

The other thing is that Naviance says 10-20 people applied to the state flagship. Uh, nope. I bet nearly everyone applies there, so the number should be more than 30-40 PER YEAR.

Naviance is only as good as the data from your school, and that data is self-reported.

2 Likes

For those of you lucky enough to get in, I just wanted to highlight a very nice perk of attending Northeastern: The Northeastern Promise. The merit/financial aid package you receive should remain the same (or possibly become more generous if there is more need) throughout 8 semesters of study. Most of you are probably aware of this, but thought I would post a link. I especially like the part about increasing grants to match up with tuition increases. I am a planner so like to know exactly what I am going to pay for the next 4 years.

6 Likes

Does you state flagship use common app? Ours doesn’t use common app so students have to report that they applied in Naviance.
The schools that are in common app though get automatically updated as CA is linked to Naviance.

1 Like

No top 20 school should ever be considered to be a safety. No matter the stats or how many hooks the student has.

6 Likes

That’s correct. It’s meaningless for those schools

Just to clarify the possible decisions we may see (correct me if I am wrong or missing an option) *Note: even if you listed Boston as your top choice or only choice, you could be offered any of these.

-Accepted Boston
-Accepted Oakland campus (all 4 years)
-Accepted NUin
-Accepted Global Scholars
-Deferred to regular decision
-Denied admission

Here is the description of Global Scholars & NUin:

Global Scholars

Northeastern created the Global Scholars program (formerly known as NU Bound) with the mission that future Huskies should, from the very early stages of their educational journey, be actively engaged with our global university system and an expansive network of students, alumni, and corporate partners.

Students admitted to Global Scholars experience this journey together as a cohort. Together you’ll study at a Global Scholars program location in your first year—in London, England and in the Bay Area, California, all part of Northeastern’s global university system. During your second year and beyond, you’ll study on Northeastern’s Boston campus (or you might continue to explore global program offerings).

The N.U.in Program is Northeastern’s signature first-year experience, rooted in Northeastern’s core belief that students should be engaged citizens of the world. N.U.in students begin their studies at one of our program locations and transition to the Boston campus in January for the second semester. Read more here to find out if the N.U.in is right for you.

*If students are offered admission to the NUin program, but declined the offer, they must wait to apply for the next fall academic term to apply for the Boston campus

*NUin-housing is guaranteed for 2nd semester

*Global Scholars does not guarantee campus housing upon return for 2nd year

9 Likes

Thank u for description. Its very helpful. Orig I thought it was other way around. So many global programs were part of my S23 app preferences.

1 Like

It wasn’t a safety and we never considered it one, but my point is that Naviance blew up in green with my son right there in the middle of it. It was the only school out of all schools in the top 40ish that he applied to where it indicated that much confidence in his admission based on school data. So we were cautiously optimistic, only bc we’re familiar with the unpredictability of college admissions. But based on naviance data you would have thought he was a shoe-in.

On Reddit northeastern early thread

4 Likes

so on Feb 1st then…? :sob:

welp

2 Likes

Looks like it😭

1 Like

Naviance provided zero value to my high stats daughter. The scatteprlot (which is only based on stats) showed her in the green pretty much everywhere - and often, above and to the right of the admitted students cluster. But it doesn’t take into account lots of other factors that go into selective school admission decisions. Interestingly, in many cases the scatter plot of rejected students is pretty much the same at the tippy top schools.

1 Like

Naviance should be used only for probabilistic outcomes and not for any decisioning. In probabilistic model even with a 99.99% chance of acceptance, it could still be a denial. If you are on the extreme right >75% chance of acceptance, lean to right >50% chance and lean to left 25-50% chance of acceptance and everything else <25% (if applicant pool is homogenous). Then the data is even more unreliable due to holistic admissions. Hooks, athletes, essays, Recommendations, ED vs RD, Financial need, Gender, Affirmative action and all other factors go into play. Naviance doesn’t filter for these variables.

Naviance is a pretty GUI that gives directional info at best, and should be used just to determine should I bother to apply or should I not even bother to apply.

4 Likes

And some other schools do it. My son just let me know he received an email this morning from Rensselaer that their EA decisions will be released on 1/28 at 7p.

1 Like

Thanks for the info
An email from NU to all EA applicants would have been so much appreciated.
Other schools are sending emails about their dates( like Rpi above)

2 Likes

Yes we used Naviance to see the general trend. Also if some school never admits anyone from our HS , then we crossed it off too ( or set it as a low priority)