Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Totally agree! It’s so frustrating to hear back so late. Although most of my son’s top choices are RD so we’ll be waiting until the end.

2 Likes

Yes, one mid-March date; rest are “by April 1” for my daughter. Will be a crazy few weeks in April to do any final visits and make decisions! And it does hurt the whole housing/finding a roommate matter.

3 Likes

Talked with NU Financial Services. They said sometimes they ask for further docs. They said to upload them to IDOC system and they will pull from there. They said admission decision timing is not related to financial aid award. They are separate and you would just receive financial aid letter later after docs are reviewed. Good luck.

Any chances that the admisison decision will be out today?

I would say there’s a possibility but I wouldn’t count on it being today

2 Likes

Northeastern has never released decisions on a Friday or a Monday. But there could always be a first time!

4 Likes

I think “by Feb 1” means the day before Feb 1 or earlier. “No later than Feb 1” would mean decisions could come out on Feb 1.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a regional thing. To me, “by Feb 1” doesn’t mean “before Feb 1”.

When someone tells me they’ll get me a report “by tomorrow”, I am not expecting to get it today. Similarly if they say “by Tuesday”, I know I may not get in until Tuesday end of day.

7 Likes

I had the same issue with the University of Wisconsin two years ago. They have since changed their wording to “on or by”. It is validating to see people get frustrated by the same vague language by institutions of higher learning, but they sill did not release their decisions before their “by” date. It was the evening of that day. I feel your pain.

2 Likes

Mistake- U of Wisconsin is now “on or before”

When does NU provide scholarship decisions? I saw some provided with ED notifications. Does EA work the same way?

If I remember correctly when my oldest applied two years ago, I believe merit is included with the acceptance. Not sure on financial aid.

1 Like

Merit is included with the admissions offer but in a separate tab. Need based aid is provided with the admissions offer if all documents were submitted by the priority deadline. If not, it will come a few weeks later.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if National Merit Scholar award offers are included with admissions, too, even though only the NM Semifinalists have been announced so far and not the finalists?

3 Likes

No. There is a procedure for notifying them once a student has been named a finalist and Northeastern has been indicated as their first choice.

From the website " *National Merit Finalist Deadline:
In order to be eligible for the Northeastern National Merit Finalist Scholarship, National Merit Finalists must be admitted to Northeastern and should designate Northeastern University as their college choice to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) . In order to receive an updated scholarship prior to May 1, 2023, students must designate Northeastern as their college choice by the priority deadline of April 2, 2023 . Finalists who list Northeastern after the priority deadline are eligible for the scholarship, but are not guaranteed to receive notification of the scholarship from Northeastern prior to May 1, 2023."

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Adding on to this: If your kid is a National Merit Finalist and you aren’t 100% certain regarding school choice, I strongly encourage you to map out the different dates required by your colleges to get a NMF scholarship. In particular, schools like Northeastern and Boston U require early specification of college choice, so you potentially have to play a game of musical chairs, changing your college choice in the NMSC OSA portal multiple times in order to meet each deadline.

3 Likes

YES! Dates on my calendar. Thanks for confirming. We have 3 schools to consider.

Just got deferred from University of Miami so hoping for good news soon from my ED2 to NEU :pray:

1 Like

So you’re saying you can designate BU or another school by March 1 and then are allowed to switch to NE by their April 2nd deadline?

2 Likes