Parents caring for the parent support thread (Part 1)

<p>The person who convinced my parents to move to a continuing care retirement community was an elderly mother of a friend who lived in one. We get together every year or so. She asked my parents, “what are you waiting for.” She touted the benefits of moving before you “have to.” Among the things she listed:

1. You can make friends.<br>
  2. You have community support if recovering from an illness.<br>
  3. You don’t have to cook but you can if you want.<br>
  4. Your kids don’t have to worry about you.<br>
    It helped that the mom was still mentally sharp and physically healthy. Before that conversation, we were looking at single level homes near me. After that, they just toured continuing care retirement communities.</p>

<p>These additional persuasive approaches sound great. I’m going to carry them with me on a cheat sheet when I fly down this week.</p>

<p>“Mostly, it’s about being steadfast in your love and intentions and not mixing it up with the most vulnerable, provocative part of the elder.” Beautiful, Travelnut.</p>

<p>I have to be really prepared to manage my own frustration!</p>

<p>What’s with the mom’s & the fat issue? My mom is the same way. Drives me nuts. And it’s a lifelong trait. We’ll be out & she’ll comment “did you see the a$$ on that woman?” Oy vey. </p>

<p>Heard from the car service that they’re re-tooling their service but will be back around mid-August. Which is good news. Bad news: ended up back at the doctor as her bug bite wasn’t improving. Had two people in looking at it. Changed her antibiotic. They were surprised the doxycycline hadn’t worked. I can’t confirm that she took all her pills anyway, although the count sounded right. I almost had an aneurism in the exam room when she said she hadn’t taken her antibiotic that day because she knew she was having blood drawn. Geez. I’d love to blame this on being old, but she’s always hated taking meds of any kind; character flaw you know, needing meds, much like being fat. How do you get to be 83 and not know how you’re supposed to take meds? Oh and they told her to use warm compresses, like they told her last Monday, but she says they never told her that. Even though I was sitting there. </p>

<p>I’m going to call the gerontologist today to make sure she’s in the loop about the bite. It looks awful: bruised & mottled and about 4 inches in diameter. My worry is that this is going to be the slippery slope issue. </p>

<p>Thanks for the tip about the Ensure bars, but that won’t work given that the ongoing dental issues. No teeth=can’t chew. And apparently Mom has decided she’s really done with the dentist. Hasn’t told me why and I won’t ask. She walked out of there very pleased 4 weeks ago, but as per usual, the negative vibes have taken over.</p>

<p>Will kind of give you a history of what we did with my Mom before Katrina, which forced her into an ALF.</p>

<p>Mom lived in the two story house most of us grew up in, even after Dad died in 1991. She was in a wheelchair due to obesity and multiple fractures, but was able to cook and take a shower. She had a large bathroom with a step in shower which she entered using a walker. She would balance on the walker during the shower, hang her wash cloth over the bar. Periodically, Medicare would allow her to get home health and physical therapy in home, and when Mom asked the doctor to renew it, his hands were tied because of Medicare rules. It was frustrating to watch her make so much progress, where she was even out of the wheelchair, walking down the hallway with her walker, only to regress back to her previous state once the Medicare provided physical therapy stopped. Such a waste of money, I thought, to stop care just because a dated timeline had been reached.</p>

<p>My sister and I used to do her grocery shopping, and would run laundry while we were there. We’d bring up the dried clothes for her to fold and would help her change the sheets.</p>

<p>When my nephews got to be college aged, and went to the local university, they moved in with Mom to have a place to study, come and go as they pleased, practice downstairs with their band, and they had a very close relationship with Mom. She never slept, and they’d come in from a gig at 3 in the morning and sit in the front room talking with her. They picked up take out to share for dinner with her. And of course, she loved to cook for them. I don’t think they helped much in the way of chores, being college age boys, but they provided much needed companionship. They did not do doctor appointments and such, so the sisters still did that and the laundry and the grocery shopping. However, the grandsons were high school wrestlers, and they actually would carry Mom, wheelchair and all, down the stairs to our car to bring her to the doctor.</p>

<p>The house was falling down around her. Mom had gone through most of Dad’s life insurance money. And brother’s MIL was a real estate agent and anxious to get a commission from our big two story house in what was now a prime neighborhood. So, we sold the house, for cash, to a neighbor, who very generously gave us six months to find Mom a new house. Her wheelchair bound state was quite an issue, as I needed to find a house with wide enough doors, handicap accessible bathroom, or at least in a state that I could reasonably renovate it to that condition.</p>

<p>After about four months, I found a one story house with an attached two car garage, a bathroom with a stand alone shower, and I grabbed my checkbook and put an offer in right away. I hired a local carpenter to modify the bathroom to wider doors, a wider step in shower, and replaced all carpet with wood floors, to ease her wheelchair. I took a leave of absence from my job, without pay, to act as general contractor on the project, overseeing all work, hiring subcontractors, buying and picking up materials, and checking in on Mom at the old house in the meantime. I found a guy that installed wheelchair ramps, which I placed on all entrances to the house. </p>

<p>Finally, in January 2005, on Mom’s birthday, we moved her into her customized new house. It was great. I could pull my car into her garage, wheel Mom up to the car, help her into the front seat, and bring her to the doctor. She could wheel out onto the back porch and enjoy the beautiful yard, and wheel out to the front yard, where we had a nice fenced in courtyard for the grandchildren to play in. Her old lawn man came to the new house to cut her grass, and sister and I continued on with buying her groceries. I even started her back up on Meals on Wheels at the new location.</p>

<p>We intended Mom to live in this house until she was too ill to stay there herself. After my Daddy died, I tried to move her into an independent senior apartment. It would have been affordable, she would have had her meals provided, and would have had companionship. But she would have none of it. </p>

<p>Only when Katrina hit and she was forced by Mother Nature to leave her home did she wind up in Assisted Living, where she enjoyed a new life with friends, activities, field trips out of the facility, and even medical care/physical therapy all on site. It was quite expensive and we used the proceeds from the sale of our childhood home to finance this, and eventually, we sold her custom house to pay the rent when she ran out of the leftover cash from the childhood home.</p>

<p>Until her death this month, we still provided this for our Mom. We were able to stretch out funds by applying for and receiving aid and attendance benefits from the VA because my father had served in Korea. We saved VA and Social Security payments until they were enough to pay her ALF rent, and the other months, the children all put in together to pay the rent. She didn’t need much outside of her rent. Just phone bill, and prescription med copay. Her Medicare and supplement paid most of her medical bills, and the facility provided her meals and laundry. We’d buy her clothes for her birthday, mouthwash, shampoo, toiletries she may have needed, but other than that, all she needed was her bingo cards and her friends and visits from her family. </p>

<p>My brother said at her funeral last week that Mom was really happy in her last years. He lived in the city where she evacuated to. That she had friends and a full life, despite living in “one of those places”. She no longer relied on her children and grandchildren checking up on her, bringing her to the doctor, buying her groceries. Someone was there to help her bathe, but other than that, she could dress herself, get to the toilet, and wheel down the hall in her wheelchair for the day. She was never in her room. Her phone was used for late night calls to elder relatives who shared her insomnia and lived in other parts of the country.</p>

<p>While my mother was never willing on her own to leave her home, her time in the ALF was probably the happiest she had been since she lost my Daddy 22 years ago.</p>

<p>Good luck with your parents, and remember, what you do will serve as a lesson to how your children treat you. My mother and father both took care of their parents when they grew older and became widows, and it was from them that I learned that no matter what the financial cost and personal sacrifice, it is the least we can do to repay our parents for all they did for us.</p>

<p>My MIL has Alzheimer’s, recently had a fall and has been becoming more vioent. My FIL won’t hear of any outside of home care. Husband flew out to visit on extremely short notice and discussed scenarios with his dad, as well as with his sister who is one of primary caregivers. Social worker came up with good ideas too. Now dad and sister are on the outs with my H, because of he brought up ideas to provide more help for his mom, in addition to asking the dreaded questions about POA, what to do when mom cannot stay in home and how everything would be paid for. </p>

<p>This taking care of aging parents is difficult stuff. </p>

<p>I knew it would be an ordeal, especially being so far away. What I did not count on would be old resentments from my FIL getting in the way. He thinks we are trying to show off our big income, which is laughably ridiculous. Our family’s income is not high and helping them out financially would stretch us further than we can even afford. We offered to hire a gardener, but what he really wanted was my husband to maintain the yard. Hard to do when living several thousand miles away! He also wanted him to mow the 2 acres and weed and cut down tree limbs, which to some would not have been a big deal, but for my husband coming home a few days later and facing major surgery, it would have made it worse. </p>

<p>PIL’s also hoarders, which is why when mom fell, it was dangerous. </p>

<p>I knew this would always be an issue with FIL. He has always been antagonistic and downright mean. What I never counted on was my wonderful MIL mentally checking out and changing the whole interpersonal family dynamic. She hasn’t revognized us for 5 or 6 years, and she was the glue that held this family together.</p>

<p>Just recently, the social worker helped us research some options for her care, and are now providing hospice care forvher in home. She is not terminal for Alzheimers, but providing a new level of support for her, which is terrific.</p>

<p>It is great this thread is up. Very helpful to read so much helpful information.</p>

<p>Hi all. Haven’t logged on for a while. hugs to everyone in this battle.</p>

<p>We were at a wedding, I drove my Mom. She kept saying that she was going home after the wedding so I spent 400 miles saying NO in various ways. Also hid the fact that I am having an estate sale at her house which is nearly empty. Good thing is that she doesn’t think that is HER house… she is back to the house I grew up in… </p>

<p>In the phrases handbook, when she is fighting to get out or to get a definite opinion “I won’t die here!” the AL place said to say “No one can know what the future will bring, we want the best for you every day.” So when she says that she will kill herself if she lives there “forever”, I can say maybe my brother can move you after Dad dies… </p>

<p>Funny/icky from the wedding, she and my dad have been divorced 30 years, both outlived their second marriage people. At the niece’s wedded she flirted with him, big time. And was surprised that he was “an old man!”. Yep, she still thinks she is 16 and acts 6 many days.</p>

<p>I am going to court over the creep that was taking advantage of my mom. Lesson learned there is “If you feel suspicious … DO SOMETHING, don’t try to look on the good side. It costs you later.” If we have to be harsh with parents, we should be more harsh with the strangers who are NOT providing help, except for themselves.</p>

<p>Just got back from a weekend with in-laws. 88 and 86. MIL has mobility issues - three replaced joints and arthritis. FIL in early dementia, not bathing enough, and stooped over making walking difficult. Still living in large family home on a large piece of land. Insurance co forcing them to remove a dilapidated outbuilding and make numerous other repairs or will cancel policy. Lots and lots of clutter. Spiders living in cabinets, food containers, and everywhere. Ants on counters. Water damage on ceilings. Layers of dust everywhere. This was AFTER a major cleaning in anticipation of our visit. After talking about their friends’ moves to various senior condos/AL/skilled facilities, FIL announced that he would “never live in a two bedroom prison!” MIL refused a scooter at the zoo outing and preferred to make H sit with her by the entrance while I walked the loop with the kids. This was after many critical comments about me and the two kids and asking for money to pay taxes on their second home! I should stop now. I try to be kind and patient. I can take their comments about me, but criticizing my kids is too much. Kids were patient and kind - smiling and nodding and letting MIL/FIL plan the activities. I was proud of them! We are a plane ride away and H is the only one able to help so it’s all on us. Thank God my mom has downsized, moved to a senior apartment (which she LOVES), and enjoys a happy, loving relationship with her grandchildren. I promised my kids to be as much like my mom as possible as I get older. Vent over. Hugs to all.</p>

<p>Oy. Can’t imagine refusing a scooter and just sitting at the entrance!</p>

<p>I hope I die before I get ornery and/or weird. (er). </p>

<p>Bravo to those who are performing heroics to deal with aging parents/in-laws.</p>

<p>Wow. I keep thinking of how many amazing people contribute to this thread. </p>

<p>Montegut- Thank you for your post. So sorry for your loss. </p>

<p>As to refusing the scooter, I have known elders who just can’t master them. The very frailness that makes them need one also impedes them with driving or reduces self-confidence. Often they can’t grasp that if they just let go of the controls on a power chair, they will stop. Not saying this applies here, but it can be the case. Sad to not be able to enjoy your grandchildren. </p>

<p>The elders who get it, move on and enjoy are the role models I aspire to when the time comes. </p>

<p>RobD- I agree that this is just the type of thing to ensure that care providers are aware of and can participate in managing if indicated . If there is a chance of that becoming a systemic problem, you want to be sure the med schedule is adhered to whatever it takes. This type of thing can also reduce cognitive functioning at times. </p>

<p>Thanks to all for sharing.</p>

<p>This is a new one for me - FIL is being moved to AL on the 1st but he hasn’t been told. MIL said she is following advice she received (don’t know from whom) and friends are taking him to lunch while she has my hubby and others swoop in and move his stuff and then the friends will bring him to the AL after lunch. MIL has been advised not to visit for 7-10 days while he gets adjusted. Has anyone else moved someone this way? It seems cruel to me. (My husband made me promise never to do this to him.)</p>

<p>Wow, that sounds terrible to me. :frowning: Unless he has significant memory loss or cognition problems and won’t know the difference. It just seems so demeaning and undignified for him…</p>

<p>My mother never reset any of the medical appointments she cancelled earlier this summer. Tomorrow, I am taking her to the dentist. Let’s see if she cancels that. She complains how hard it is to be old, how she feels so ill that she can’t do anything. Can’t go to the doc. Can’t get the AC fixed because her place is a mess. Can’t let me help because…it’s such a mess. There is always some “can’t.” </p>

<p>I told her about this forum, how so many of us have the same issues with parents who, one way or another, tie our hands. How we all WANT to help. And how we are all honest, good people, trying to do right. I think she was stunned that her ways, the ways she sets up roadblocks, stymies us, sets out needs and demands, makes assumptions and expects ultimate forgiveness, etc, etc- well, that it’s not just her, not just my poor “Mom” who would just be fine if it weren’t for this or that which is beyond her control.</p>

<p>Sometimes, in trying to write about this, I wonder if I sound bitter. I am not really. Frustration, the inability to get off deck, is just like that. </p>

<p>.</p>

<p>My mother was a very smart woman, and had her mind to the very end. Once my nephews and cousins who lived with her during college were now graduated,it was on my sister and me to check on her and buy her groceries, do her laundry. To help out financially, I started paying her bills out of my own funds, and I was able to get her Meals on Wheels, commodities provided by Catholic Charities and the government, and even got her Medicare deduction from her Social Security check reduced. It took a lot of work, but I was self employed and was determined to find whatever help I could for her that I could do short of “putting her someplace”. We got a little bit of a hold on her finances in that she allowed my sister to be a joint owner on her checking account where her Social Security checks were deposited, and my sister went over there weekly to pay her bills. She would call me when there wasn’t enough money to cover them, and I would pay the leftovers. Mom’s phone was disconnected because she ran up long distance phone bills of over a thousand dollars a month. They finally agreed to put phone back service back in her house if the bill was in my name. We got her basic service and got phone cards for her to use to call her cousins and friends in other parts of the country. Unlimited long distance service as part of a phone plan was not available in our city at the time. When we sold the family home, the attorney who was friends with her neighbors that bought the house and had befriended Mom and whom she trusted, drew up the power of attorney naming me as the POA because I had done so much legwork in finding programs, discounts, etc, for her, and I was self employed, so had a more flexible schedule. When she moved into her new house, bills were still sent there, and I went over there every week to pick them up and pay them from our joint account. My sister still had the joint account with her that the Social Security check came to and paid for groceries, her Medical insurance account, and small utility bills with. So, in short, Mom got eased into us taking over her finances when the time came that we had to take over all of them. I would suggest that maybe start out with suggesting adding your name to your mom or dad’s account so that important bills, like health insurance, electric, home owners insurance, would still be paid if something were to happen to them where they had to go to the hospital for an illness for an extended period of time. You can explain that if those bills lapse, they could lose their house that they would want to go back to, and that may make them more willing to give that small compromise into their finances.</p>

<p>intparent - you said exactly what I am feeling “undignified.” He has Alzheimers but he still seems to be aware. He hasn’t stopped recognizing us - at least I don’t think so. He is very attached to his kitty-cat too. I am worried about him. I read an article that suggested giving a pet lover a stuffed cat or dog - does anyone have experience with that - or an opinion? He’s a full grown man - I don’t even know how to give it to him. My daughter said she would do it but now I’m afraid he won’t recognize her since he hasn’t seen her in 4 months - but I guess that could work in my favor. Just some cute teenager (she looks younger than her 20 years) who visits and gives him a stuffed kitty.</p>

<p>A friend and I used to joke about having wheelchair races when we both got put in the nursing home, but it’s not really a laughing matter, when it comes down to it.</p>

<p>OTOH, I always think of a sweet woman who was in a wheelchair with arthritis but went everywhere she could and always had a smile, even tho she was in pain. Life is what you make it.</p>

<p>lookingforward–maybe your mother has mild depression? When life is just too much…perhaps her doc should evaluate her.</p>

<p>Dogs were able to visit in the skilled nursing facility my mom was in (and that is just one wing of the building, the rest is an AL facility). Maybe cats can visit too?</p>

<p>The best time my Mom had in her ALF was when there were community dogs. I featured their pictures in her memorial service. One of the residents who moved in shortly after her was a big animal lover, and one of the activity directors did animal rescue. There were three dogs in residence at one time. The dogs loved sitting at the residents’ feet while they played bingo, and they obediently waited outside the dining room door during mealtime.</p>

<p>My mother was in a nursing home for a short period of time a couple of years ago. They had a couple of little dogs at different times and they had this wonderful glass enclosure with all sorts of small birds in it in the lobby. It was wondeful. I know I could have watched them for hours.</p>

<p>PhotoOp</p>

<p>I agree, it seems very wrong to me. I hope your MIL got the advice of someone who really knows the best way to handle such things. It’s sad that he will be aware of what is going on at the moment.</p>

<p>At my mother’s nursing home, they have a couple of cats-in-residence and bring in therapy dogs occasionally. Family are allowed to bring in dogs on leashes to visit with residents. I’m not sure what the rule is on bringing in cats.</p>

<p>My mother is not an animal lover, so she couldn’t care less.</p>